Free Member
Aug 12, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
T5
Exp
A while
I have many questions that I'm hoping some kind soul will answer along my journey from T5 to PVC, so my first question is why are most of the 'off the shelf' PVC done on the fiat/peaugot/citeron van? Is it so much better than the Renault/vauxhall/Nissan one or merc, vw?

Happy to hear opinions.....

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I believe it is because of the deal manufacturers offer converters. I was told (unverified) that Fiat get their payment when the van is registered.

If that were true that would be a major incentive for converters.

Steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Copperpot

Free Member
Aug 12, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
T5
Exp
A while
Ahh that would make sense I was trying to figure out why when driving up the M1 the other day most of the white van men were driving Mercs but I only saw 1 fiat or is it the same principle fleet buyers get the best deal from merc rather than it being the best van?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
I was trying to figure out why when driving up the M1 the other day most of the white van men were driving Mercs

Funny enough that thought crossed my mind on the M5 last week. They do seem to shift though and have a large load capacity, so possibly thats why whitevanman is using them.

Upvote 0

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
::bigsmile:Hi,The mercedes is more money and is a much better van,thats why you see so many,less days off the road for white van man, i have a mercedes motorhome and no problems and i use it every week of the year,as we go to Spain,Holland,France,etc at least for 4 months,if not we travel in the uk on the other long weekends,all i can say is it will cost more to start with but you avoid the normal troubles as with fiat etc,also i have never paid more than £250 for a service at mercedes,loan car supplied and the fitter will come out and explain what he found or adjusted,i see you live in Yorkshire this is the place my camper was built,IH CAMPERS at ferrybridge,family run and very helpfull. regards H

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Panel Van Conversion - reason for popularity is I think also connected with the fact that thr Fiat, Peugeot and Citroen vans are essentially the same van and supposed to be all made in the same factory, so there is a wealth of knowledge about them.

There are Vauxhall, Renault and now Nissan conversions, just not as common.

Catherine

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome :thumb: it comes down to economics, the Fiat stable vans where made with the imput from converter s at the planning stages hence they are wide which makes a big difference to layouts available. They also give big discounts to converters, rather than the premium vans like mercs and vws.The biggest market section is for vans in the 30/40k price range so if you think about it vans basically cost the same to convert so if you buy a van at 15k as to one at 25k this allows you to get into the lower desired bigger market
Terry

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Be careful about payload. After the weight of the conversion many vans don't have much payload left.

The ivecos were the best option we found.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if we were to ever convert another van, it would be the new iveco. big square and plenty of headroom. have converted a few vans over the years

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mind we do have to remember the new iveco,s can be 7,000kg gvw . thats along way away from basic vans .
i wouldnt do a van .i would go for chassis cab and a box . nice n square easier to convert .

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
fiats have always cultivated the motor home industry mainly i think because its so big in europe little things like the handbrake being low and on the outside of the seats makes turning seat easier
the ducato range have relatively straight sides and wide enough to get a 6 ft bed across

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Be careful about payload. After the weight of the conversion many vans don't have much payload left.

The ivecos were the best option we found.

we found the ivecos 3.5 tonnes were the worst for carrying capacity due to the heavy chassis they are built on

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back