Vango Kiawah Chair repairs (1 Viewer)

Mar 7, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
end of 2011
Back in 2014 we bought two Vango Kiawah chairs. We thought the were brilliant as they folded down relatively small to fit in our lockers but still had the ability to recline and reasonably high backs. We hadn't used them that much but in 2016 some of the seams started to pull apart. Neither of us is over weight so we contacted Vango and they didn’t want to know as they were outside the guarantee and anyway they don’t have a department to repair chairs. I have contacted Vango many times since and basically they are not interested in helping, the last time they told me not to raise another ticket.

Does anybody know where we can get the material repaired as it seems a shame to bin the chairs as the frames are still really good.

Attachments

• Kiawah1.jpg
    Kiawah1.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 75
  • Kiawah2.jpg
    Kiawah2.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 74

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
personally I would speak to the local awning repair guy to make better quality covers. Any seamstress could make a set but you need to use heavy duty fabric with industrial sewing machine or you are back where you started after a while

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T
Mar 7, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
end of 2011
We live in Basingstoke, Hampshire but unfortunately locked down. Just changed our motorhome on lockdown day so had to put it straight into storage so we haven't had a chance to try it out.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If there aren't many areas then you could easily hand stitch them:
  • carefully unpick where the edging strip has come away plus a little bit either side where it's still attached
  • pin it where it needs to be tucking the material inside (like the filling in a sandwich)
  • put a couple of temporary stitches in to hold it in place
  • re-stitch it with nylon thread (ie can't break) ensuring you also over-sew where the original stitching ends to stop it pulling out.
You might find it easier to use a small pair of pliers to push/pull the needle through it the material is particularly thick.

Apr 4, 2020
North west Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Family repair service in andover would do also there is a upholstery repair company in Thatcham ( will try to remember the name) both do vehicle upholstery

OP
OP
T
Mar 7, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
end of 2011
Windboy, if you can remember the names of the Andover company or better still the company in Thatcham it will be a real help when we come out of lockdown.
If all else fails I will try using you advice Minxy Girl thanks.
But a word of warning to all other funsters Vango's service is useless so don't use them, which is a shame as I used to think they were a good brand.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Windboy, if you can remember the names of the Andover company or better still the company in Thatcham it will be a real help when we come out of lockdown.
If all else fails I will try using you advice Minxy Girl thanks.
But a word of warning to all other funsters Vango's service is useless so don't use them, which is a shame as I used to think they were a good brand.
Shame you're not near me otherwise I'd do it for you.

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
If all else fails and you cant get a local professional job done, what about trying a good quality flexible contact adhesive (evo stick for example) as a possible a last resort?

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
Andover is
[/QUOTE]
Fond memories of Andover. Back in the day I bought a wonderful flying Jacket from Aviation Leathercraft. I arrived at the place and the guy ( I think it was Tony or Peter Connelly) served me. The conversation went something like this:

You married? ( me, nonplussed) Yes.
Wife love you? I hope so.
Watch outdoor sports live? Occasionally.
Ah well, because the wife loves you, she'll take your wet flying jacket and put it in the tumble dryer - knackered
You go to the pub. Yes
You'll take it off and hang it on the back of the chair and someone will steal it when you go to the loo.
Drive a car? Yes
You'll leave it on the back seat and someone will break in and steal it.
Still want the Jacket? Eh, yes.
Good, these are just some of the things people tell me that have happened to their jackets. You'll look after it wont you? And I have.

I explained i was down from Edinburgh and working in London for the next few days. Could I have it posted to home? Yes and it'll be there before you are - and it was.

Unconventional sales approach but I still laugh when I think of it. Brilliant and a great product.

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
I wouldn’t bother if they failed after 2 years of light use, what’s to stop the rest of the stitching or fabric failing after repair.

Find some similar but not vango.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back