Vanbitz Growler saves the day (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2016
Tonbridge
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
While trying to stay awake watching the Barcelona Grand Prix I got a text and phone call from my van alarm. When I got back to the van I found that one of the Windows had been forced open. When the ******* entered via the window the alarm activated.
He then left via the door. The van next to me was also broken into and I think the noise of my alarm scared them away. Two Spanish guys were seen looking round the campsite prior to the race starting. Nothing was taken from either van but the window and blind are damaged. Whilst I'm a little p****d off that the toe rag damaged my van I'm comforted by the fact that he got nothing more than ear ache

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As a security consultant I've been professionally recommending extremely loud internal sirens for years. They really do work, and in the confines of a small room mixed with a bit of adrenalin they really are debilitating, once in, all they can think of is getting out. :)

OP
OP
Gordon1808
Feb 21, 2016
Tonbridge
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
It certainly worked in my case. The way my bin was hanging off the door I think he flew out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I want to put a set of air horns inside to boost the siren just to add to the affect. Can you be prosecuted for GBH if they claim it injured them or the people in the next town.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We had a taste of what the Growler can do when we had it fitted 2 weeks ago ! All we could do was hold our ears and step back really quickly !!! Didn't want to stay in the sound zone ! Soz to hear your van was damaged, but thank goodness you had that fitted or would have been so much worse :( Out of curiosity, do you have the stickers on your van ? We're debating whether to at the mo.

OP
OP
Gordon1808
Feb 21, 2016
Tonbridge
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
No doubt we would be in trouble if we did that. I'm only glad that he didn't hurt himself when climbing in thro the window.
I should have filled my motorhome with gas, then when he fell asleep I could have rob him

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
As a security consultant I've been professionally recommending extremely loud internal sirens for years. They really do work, and in the confines of a small room mixed with a bit of adrenalin they really are debilitating, once in, all they can think of is getting out. :)

Jim,

Could you recommend any particular make or brand of very very loud internal sirens please ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sorry your van was damaged but it could have been much worse.

Are the police looking for someone who has ear bleed?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!

What if a dog is inside the van, albeit a very small dog??
Been looking at the vanbitz non starter.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What if a dog is inside the van, albeit a very small dog??

Depends on the frequencies but generally speaking very loud sirens are not good for pets or us. I know on the growler, when leaving Pets inside you can isolate the loud internals, so you are still alarmed with the normal externals but the insides won't sound (y)

OP
OP
Gordon1808
Feb 21, 2016
Tonbridge
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Yes I have stickers on the van. I think that is why they use the Windows as the stickers say the doors and lockers are alarmed.
I can see now that the Windows are the weak point as they entered the other van the same way.
I also have the non starter so at least they couldn't drive it away if they found the spare key.
As for Plod. They were not interested !!
I have now got my window secured with tie wraps as all 3 catches were broken.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We have just the one window that opens; a slide one behind the hob unit. You are right about weak point, but at least with the growler, once they're in they won't stay :)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Sorry to hear your unit was attacked,(n) but glad to hear the Growler did its job. (y) Along with the Door stickers, I have stickers on the windows that state "This Motorhome is completely protected by a strickback alarm system" so hopefully any scumbag will think that the windows are alarmed. The sticker message is in different languages as well, all supplied by Vanbitz with the growler. I put the stickers on both N/S and O/S Hab windows. Maybe I should order 2 more for the rear nearside bunk window and the kitchen. @eddievanbitz? :D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A bit of a bummer but at least not much damage.
A bit concerned you falling asleep at a Grand Prix, I would want to get every seconds entertainment out of with the price of the tickets and it was one of the best for years.:)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Sorry to hear your unit was attacked,(n) but glad to hear the Growler did its job. (y) Along with the Door stickers, I have stickers on the windows that state "This Motorhome is completely protected by a strickback alarm system" so hopefully any scumbag will think that the windows are alarmed. The sticker message is in different languages as well, all supplied by Vanbitz with the growler. I put the stickers on both N/S and O/S Hab windows. Maybe I should order 2 more for the rear nearside bunk window and the kitchen. @eddievanbitz? :D
Nick them off me at Newbury (y) free chocolate as well for the services ;)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
God! Free stickers and hot Chocolate lol

Being a Navy man I expect you will ask for Rum in your Choccy next lol

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Are the stickers in various languages as op says they were Spanish and may not read English ?!
Sorry to hear about your break-in glad it wasn't worse.

OP
OP
Gordon1808
Feb 21, 2016
Tonbridge
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
From the description I was given of them I don't think they can read !
I have also put 2 of my stickers on the hab Windows. The other 2 on the cab Windows. I might ask for 3 more to cover the other Windows.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
What about the huge advert enticing the robbers in that said
"Free for all to day, no one at home help yourselves)
What it actually said was
"Watch F1 Here Today":rolleyes:
Fraid you let your guard slip
ps Pick pockets were in the all the bars too
There not as daft as we think they are
Read Jims security book on staying alert(y) you would be surprised how many times you set yourself up for the crooks

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Biggest crime in new forest is cars broken into. Thieves know that driver is probably on a walk, so won't be back for some time.

OP
OP
Gordon1808
Feb 21, 2016
Tonbridge
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Geo. I'm not sure how I let my guard slip ? I am well aware of the problems in and around Barcelona which is why 2 weeks before going I had an alarm fitted. I camped at a campsite. When I went to the Grand Prix I locked my van up and set the alarm. What more could I have done short of not going ?
I was hoping that with all the blue flashing LED's and stickers on doors and windows it would put off any thief. However the 2nd line of defence worked (the internal sounders) as he shot out of the motorhome faster than he went in.

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Are the stickers in various languages as op says they were Spanish and may not read English ?!

The stickers are in several languages, but in at least some cases the translation is not perfect, resulting in an impression of lack of professionalism.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
More likely Slovak or Bulgarian Roma, they are all over the EEC now the ones that have the money to get there are the same ones that robbed the locals blind in those countries. Why do you think they are liable to get shot on sight in the villages there.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Cobra alarm fitted to our van and the siren is not very loud at all, is there any other siren that can be fitted to the Cobra system.

John.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The stickers are in several languages, but in at least some cases the translation is not perfect, resulting in an impression of lack of professionalism.
You have mentioned this before

We asked French and Italian people for the phrasing

I disagree strongly with you criticism, which is why I ignored it the first time.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
The Growler ! Aka 'the Devil's Wail !!! :boxing:

As I understand it, The Growler is a complete system, incorperating the detection systems.

As an electronics engineer I can design my own detection systems, but I was asking Jim's advice on the siren part of it.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Jim,

Could you recommend any particular make or brand of very very loud internal sirens please ?

Sorry, was a bit ambigious without the info that you were an electronics engineer. Hope you find what you're looking for . :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back