Vanbitz Fitting, anything near to do ? (1 Viewer)

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
It's nearly arrived, that time when we get to wake up in the mornings and not worry that the van has disappeared ! Happily we've had a cancellation spot so get it 2 weeks earlier than planned.

Decision to make now ......

Will take all day and hubby has suggested leaving here early rather than stay all night. I have booked a day of annual leave to accompany him, however ...... originally thought was near the canal so were gonna take the bikes up and cycle to Huntsworth, in laws home. Now realised not near canal and so stuck with what to do for the day. If there's not a lot, I may take the decision to cancel my leave, (hubby doesn't read motorhome fun so he'll never know the true reason :pinocchio: ) .... or if anyone has had theirs done and can recommend a nice way to spend the day I will go as planned ::bigsmile:

Info please ? :)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I had a breakfast at the place where ashley dropped me off,a big fry up ,then i walked up and down the high street a bit before i went into the Museum,the museum is free and will keep you occupied for a few hours,then i went and had a coffee in Costas , i spent the last of the afternoon by walking along the river bank just behind the museum,have a good look where the smaller tributary meets the main river as it is teaming with big fish , i then went and sat down at what was the old mill pond and read a news paper ,if you like ducks takes some biscuits with you there as there are ducks wanting to be fed .All of that took me to around 4 pm .I grabbed a Mac D,s as i had no food in the MH and then headed back to eddies

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We are at Eddies in a couple of weeks time. We are thinking of hiring a car or wee van as we have dogs and visiting relatives or just sit and chill in our pop up screen house. I'm not a walk around town type.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We are at Eddies in a couple of weeks time. We are thinking of hiring a car or wee van as we have dogs and visiting relatives or just sit and chill in our pop up screen house. I'm not a walk around town type.
Hmmmm ! We do have a tent, wondering if it's worth taking that and chilling with books and a few walks. You've given me an idea thanks :)

Jun 8, 2013
Taunton
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
4 years
Snowdrops
Taunton is a small county town with usual shops - Debenhams/M&S are the big ones. Plenty of pubs (2 Wetherspoons) plenty of coffee shops and of course like other towns charity shops.

The town itself has a free museum and also the cricket museum is worth a visit (if you are into cricket). They might be playing at home - worth a visit to see Trescothick and co.

Eddie's place is about 45 mins walk to town either by road or can use cycle track (15 mins) and a regular bus service(about 15 mins walk from Eddies - twice an hour) .
You can join canal in centre of Taunton and to Huntsworth via canal is about 14 miles mostly good cycle track but couple of places are a bit muddy, couple of locks where you can get coffee/sandwiches. The route goes out into the country so a nice day out if weather fine.
Hope this helps
John

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Snowdrops

The town itself has a free museum and also the cricket museum is worth a visit (if you are into cricket). They might be playing at home - worth a visit to see Trescothick and co.

Eddie's place is about 45 mins walk to town either by road or can use cycle track (15 mins) and a regular bus service(about 15 mins walk from Eddies - twice an hour) .
You can join canal in centre of Taunton and to Huntsworth via canal is about 14 miles mostly good cycle track but couple of places are a bit muddy, couple of locks where you can get coffee/sandwiches. The route goes out into the country so a nice day out if weather fine.
Hope this helps
John

Absolutely love cricket so that's a great idea thanks. We've cycled from Huntsworth to Taunton and back before, lovely stretch, but wasn't sure how far that was from the site, sounds very do-able. Again thanks :)

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Just explored bus routes and looks like we can get a bus into Bridgwater. Thinking may do this and pop into the Blake Museum to see father in law, (curator of museum), get a spot of lunch. Then back to see cricket museum before we head back. Very very helpful info. :dance:

Jun 8, 2013
Taunton
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
4 years
Good idea
Bus station right in centre of Taunton get Ashley to drop you off there
And cricket ground 5 mins from bus station
Enjoy day

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I went to the gym on the hi street, they offer a free days pass if you tell them your just moving to the area. They have a lovely sauna, steam room and hot tub, so a nice relaxing way to waste a few hours.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Me and the dog went for a walk into town, really long walk, but the dog needed a leg stretch. We found a really weird pub, the name of which escapes me right now. Had a pie and a pint, the funny thing is, the landlord looked exactly like Nick Frost, it was opposite a One Stop, think it was called the White Horse or some such equine related name.
Wandering around the place was interesting, and Eddie's boys will drop you off in town if you don't fancy the walk (takes about an hour)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I went to the gym on the hi street, they offer a free days pass if you tell them your just moving to the area. They have a lovely sauna, steam room and hot tub, so a nice relaxing way to waste a few hours.

Goody two shoes

:D

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I went to the gym on the hi street, a nice relaxing way to waste a few hours.

I do NOT believe the word gym and relax should ever be used in the same sentence!

Trust you to get it for free, I wonder if the Funsters know about your Great great Grandfather Gerry;

He invented copper wire................... fighting over a halfpenny with another Scot it seems!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I do NOT believe the word gym and relax should ever be used in the same sentence!

Trust you to get it for free, I wonder if the Funsters know about your Great great Grandfather Gerry;

He invented copper wire................... fighting over a halfpenny with another Scot it seems!
Well they did have a sign up new to the area get a free trial had to quickly Google an address so I could fill in the form :)

It's nice you mention my great great grandfather as not many of his school friends are around anymore.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It's nearly arrived, that time when we get to wake up in the mornings and not worry that the van has disappeared ! Happily we've had a cancellation spot so get it 2 weeks earlier than planned.

Decision to make now ......

Will take all day and hubby has suggested leaving here early rather than stay all night. I have booked a day of annual leave to accompany him, however ...... originally thought was near the canal so were gonna take the bikes up and cycle to Huntsworth, in laws home. Now realised not near canal and so stuck with what to do for the day. If there's not a lot, I may take the decision to cancel my leave, (hubby doesn't read motorhome fun so he'll never know the true reason :pinocchio: ) .... or if anyone has had theirs done and can recommend a nice way to spend the day I will go as planned ::bigsmile:

Info please ? :)
Hi loads to do around. There is a cycle track into the town centre, and the canal starts in the town centre

There is a bike shop very close to the canal and I cycled from Cornish Farm to the cycle shop in 18 minutes according to my computer the other day, so if you fancy a day on the canal, bring your bikes

Or, we can drop you off in town

Or, you can use our waiting area and take advantage of free drinks lol

Or, you can chill on your pitch over on the campsite, if you bring a couple of chairs, or avail yourself of one of the park benches

Loads to do and see in Taunton though

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Hi loads to do around. There is a cycle track into the town centre, and the canal starts in the town centre

There is a bike shop very close to the canal and I cycled from Cornish Farm to the cycle shop in 18 minutes according to my computer the other day, so if you fancy a day on the canal, bring your bikes

Or, we can drop you off in town

Or, you can use our waiting area and take advantage of free drinks lol

Or, you can chill on your pitch over on the campsite, if you bring a couple of chairs, or avail yourself of one of the park benches

Loads to do and see in Taunton though
Bikes looking good then so think we'll do that. Be good to give them a run out, check tyres etc. Hubby cancelled the pitch as we're not staying overnight night before. Will get there really late. Tho if ok we could just pop our chairs up for a lounge in the sunshine somewhere. Thanks very much for the info, be seeing you Weds :drink:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We were given a lift into town (thank yo) I had a bit of a walk round with the boss till I found W/spoons and sat using their wifi drinking a coffee with free refills while the boss toured the shops. (y)

Reactions: f6c
Feb 28, 2013
Carterton, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We called in at the tourist office and were given a leaflet explaining the historical walk around Taunton. There are numbered plaques set into a trail around thd town, finished off with a few real ales and a pub meal.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Unless Bridgewater has changed a lot I would stick to Taunton, when I was a junior doc in A&E at the old East Reach, saturday night was fight night in Bridgewater( and thursday and friday). We blamed the toxic fumes from the cellophane factory! Health and safety was invented for factories like that.

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I beg your pardon, whats wrong with saturday, and sunday aswell, but you are right.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Unless Bridgewater has changed a lot I would stick to Taunton, when I was a junior doc in A&E at the old East Reach, saturday night was fight night in Bridgewater( and thursday and friday). We blamed the toxic fumes from the cellophane factory! Health and safety was invented for factories like that.
Reason for Bridgwater is that my father in law is curator of the Blake museum there. We'd thought about a lovely hour in the museum and then taking lovely father in law out for lunch. Agree, Bridgwater itself not great, also really puzzles me that they've lost an 'e' somewhere..... :imoutahere:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Aah,memories.:D travel along the M5, good lungful of toxic fumes.:LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back