LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
I too have become a victim of the black tape, blue flashing light cover prowler:D. How many others have that issue?

Last edited:
OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
:D:D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I too have become a victim of the black tape, blue flashing light cover prowler:D. How many others have that issue?

Don't know how to change the thread title to 'black tape'!
Were your lights dimmed or still Bright?

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Blimey, how bright are these lights. Are we talking about as bright as a photon torpedo from the star ship enterprise. Lol. If they are that close to see it means the lights are doing there job.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I used to have a sticker on a van once that said " toucha ma van I smacka da face"
Wonder if you can still get them

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
They are very bright at night and I imagine could be very annoying to somebody parked nearby, I tend to have them on low when parked on an Aire or near other vehicles or houses. I imagine it could look like a police raid to campers nearby especially if they have curtains rather than blinds.
But during the day in the sun, even on bright they are not bright enough, where I live anyway.
What it needs is a dawn to dusk switch so they are on bright during the day and dim at night. If you want. Not a difficult cuircuit for somebody who knows electronics. Or there are many 12 volt ones on eBay.
But you would need @eddievanbitz permission so as not to void your warranty. It is not something I would imagine Eddie would want to do himself though because of reliability issues.
But perhaps he might do it as an extra!!! The other way is to set an alarm on your phone to remind you when parked near others.
Steve

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
fit tazer probes beside the led, so when touched the culprit gets a rude wake up

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
They are very bright at night and I imagine could be very annoying to somebody parked nearby, I tend to have them on low when parked on an Aire or near other vehicles or houses. I imagine it could look like a police raid to campers nearby especially if they have curtains rather than blinds.
But during the day in the sun, even on bright they are not bright enough, where I live anyway.
What it needs is a dawn to dusk switch so they are on bright during the day and dim at night. If you want. Not a difficult cuircuit for somebody who knows electronics. Or there are many 12 volt ones on eBay.
But you would need @eddievanbitz permission so as not to void your warranty. It is not something I would imagine Eddie would want to do himself though because of reliability issues.
But perhaps he might do it as an extra!!! The other way is to set an alarm on your phone to remind you when parked near others.
Steve
The system has a switch to allow the user to decide how bright they would like the three Blue LED external LED's

Personally I rarely arm the alarm overnight if I am on a campsite, doesn't seem worth it as I rarely close the windows lock the doors or put anything away at night. But when I am travelling if I am in a motorway Aire or staying in the middle of nowhere I tend to use the system on the brightest setting as I want the world to know that the motorhome is alarmed.

In a more secure setting, parked at home, in a known place, perhaps staying with friends I would tend to use the more benign setting at night.

A dusk to dawn light would remove the ability to chose, without further override functions, and would need to be externally mounted otherwise the curtains and blinds would be an issue, which would the need for waterproofing etc

Hence a switch and let people decide for themselves.

There are only a few reports on such matters, given the fact that we have used them since 2011/2012 lots of motorhomes out there with them on

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
My MH is parked on a military base when we are not away. After I had the bitzmeister fit the growler I had so many of the security guards comment on the lights as they had never seen them before. "That's cos they're new" I says. Blimey they're bright. When on a perimeter patrol the guards would often move to the storage area to see what was flashing. With the large overhead bulge, it reflect the dashboard light as well. Makes for a lot secure area I suppose. :D2(y);) Good job I don't work on an Air Station anymore or I'd have helicopters landing in the parking area. :LOL:

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
I will put them on tonight full brightness and sit, wait for the first person to come near my van. Then it's the full growler for the whole site. Who says I'm anti social or rude. :D;):whistle:

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
I don't have any problem with anyone letting me know the lights bother them, but I am very security conscious.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Maybe they are a bit over the top if it becomes an issue with a lot of people. Too bright a light flashing would annoy me if it could be seen all the time.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
One of the big selling points of the Vanbitz system to us was the security light.You may not stop the determined thief ,but , maybe, make them think twice and look for an easier target.That said their are times for the bright light and other times for the dimmer

Deleted User
Never seen one in action, however, if they are as bright as you say, then good, I won't feel so guilty about the trundle, trundle, slam of my side door.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Personally they don't bother me, with the blinds down I can't see them flashing away on our MoHo. I do think @eddievanbitz is a bit of a cheapskate though as he could have included a full length blue light bar along the roof of the van just so everyone would know how special we were. (y);):whistle::D

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but I am very security conscious.

So you switch on bright flashing lights to say to the local thieves "look at me, I've got so much to steal".

This is the twenty first century, anyone can buy flashing lights on ebay for coppers.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Obviously Eddie is missing a trick here: you need something to protect the blue lights. May l suggest a trip wire and alarm gun as appropriate?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
That's why there is a dimmer switch!
Just having a quick read. ..
Are we on about the external flashing led,'s on the growler alarm...
If so where's the dimmer switch.. I've read the instructions and can't recall any mention of controlling the brightness of those lights..
I have to cover my cab led up on a night time. .. as my bed makes up in the area and it's just too bright and annoying .

Andy.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Just having a quick read. ..
Are we on about the external flashing led,'s on the growler alarm...
If so where's the dimmer switch.. I've read the instructions and can't recall any mention of controlling the brightness of those lights..
I have to cover my cab led up on a night time. .. as my bed makes up in the area and it's just too bright and annoying .

Andy.
The first (left hand one with a blue indicator) of the 3 switches on the dash board that Vanbitz fits is the one for adjusting the brightness of the warning LEDS, flick it down and they go to approx half light.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back