LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well as someone who earns a living doing this sorta crap I would put a fuse as close to the source of the voltage as possible.

If a wire abrades and goes to earth it is not a whole lot of good having a fuse that is upstream of the short ..
I somehow doubt anyone will edit the link.. not the sort of thing that is done here chap.. I do not believe Jim is that insecure :)

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
No I didn't that is exactly what it does. The internal fuses limit the current flow to 1.1 amps
Put more fuses in series if you like

Do you seriously think that if further fusing was required that the instructions would not make that clear for DIYers? and they do recommend the split charge relay as the ideal point to connect it
http://*********************/Brochures/Battery_Master_Customer_instructions.pdf

I imagine the link above is edited due to the source being outdoorbits

edit: I have just deleted my detailed answer as I looked and you state you are an electrician and still cannot see why you need fuses, so am wasting my time

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It has short wires to piggy back the split charge relay on wiring that is already fused. If you choose to wire to the battery you're making it more involved than neccessary

Marcle leisure diagram may make it simple for you
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
The link you posted came up with this

that clearly showed the unit connected directly to the batteries I do not know how to get the drawing on here
I think that is how (we got our wires crossed)View attachment Battery_Master_Customer_instructions.pdf do a google on this link

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The link you posted came up with this

Yes I said it had been corrupted presumably because it is on outdoor bits website? I copied and pasted but the **** thingies appeared in translation . Sorry

PDF instructions on this page if it will accept the link
http://*********************/battery-master-p-32.html

No forum is definitely blocking the links

Yes your link is correct but the written instructions along side the diagram say VIA the split charge relay connections

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
vanbitz-L.jpg

So going back to Marcle Leisures diagram, connect to 30, 87 & earth
Link Removed

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
As an aside I think that two of us have now proven that the forum software will corrupt a copy and pasted link from outdoor bits. I'm not bothered as to why it is just a fact. (Jaws)

I have been reading about the alternative to Eddie's batterymaster which is excellent and does exactly what he designed it to do but for users who have solar panels the CBE unit at £27 is more suited.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Isn't this another version of exactly the same thing but cheaper?

Link Removed

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes I'd say the spec is the same.
however Vanbitz Eddie has said he will give a lifetime warranty on his unit (receipt required) as they never fail.
Vanbitz price with FUN 15% off is less than £63 delivered.
I'm opting for the CBE unit though at £27 from CAK tanks

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Yes I'd say the spec is the same.
however Vanbitz Eddie has said he will give a lifetime warranty on his unit (receipt required) as they never fail.
Vanbitz price with FUN 15% off is less than £63 delivered.
I'm opting for the CBE unit though at £27 from CAK tanks
same here,thats what i ordered today:thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Where'd you order from Chris? or are you on back order till next Tuesday with CAK.
I tried this a m but stock taking has stopped orders going out until next week.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Where'd you order from Chris? or are you on back order till next Tuesday with CAK.
I tried this a m but stock taking has stopped orders going out until next week.
on back order:thumb:but she did'nt mention stocktaking:RollEyes:
ordered a through the floor batterybox as well:thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'd like a through the floor but not sure I can squeeze one in close to existing without weakening the floor? £12 large battery box conveniently shielding 350w sterling pure sine
inverter.jpg

I drilled a 25mm hole through the seat bulkhead inline with the inverter on off switch :roflmto:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
much the same setup i got but my battery lays acrossway's and plenty of room for a TTF bat box,and we access the inverter though a door,but i put a fly lead from the inverter to the EHU so i can 240 the whole van.:thumb:
have wired the fridge and the charger on the same RCD so just a case of flicking that RCD off when on the inverter:thumb:

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
:ROFLMAO: I put the link in as you were asking

Clive's components fitted in a "really useful box"
Link Removed

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Fitted my CBE unit(top left with green light) today and rewired my regulator to batteries with 6mm
Simple to splice it in to the Brown/green engine and Brown/blue hab battery cables behind the distribution panel
Link Removed

getting a decent charge today
Link Removed

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
So, having read this post from end to end plus the links, and being a non electrician have I got this right? Am assuming charging of the Leisure Battery by a solar source.

The BM will allow charging of the Vehicle Battery from the Leisure Battery if the LB is 0.75v higher than the VB. This may result in the LB having a lower voltage than it would have as the only charged battery so as to enable the VB to be brought closer to a fuller charge voltage. This situation may occur if the MH is static for a number of days with no EHU and the LB being utilized on a daily basis and using more power than generated.

Advantage - keeps the Vehicle Battery closer to a full charge state, and if VB doesn't discharge quickly allows the LB to receive full charge
Disadvantage - allows possible less power for habitation parts of MH if VB requires charging

The CBE will allow charge to the Leisure Battery first to 13.4v and thereafter the Vehicle Battery to it's required voltage.
With the same situation of remaining static for several days but not on EHU, it's possible that the LB never reaches the 13.4v and therefore never charges the VB.

Advantage - gives the habitation part of the MH maximum power possible
Disadvantage - possible over a long enough period or high discharge rate to have a flat vehicle battery as is never charged via the LB

As mentioned I am not an electrician and have never used either device, so maybe I have missed something

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The battery master was designed to support the cab battery at the expense of the leisure battery by transferring charge at anything up to 1.1 amps whilst ever the cab battery is half a volt lower than the hab.
This was primarily for storage situations with no hook up or solar BUT it will work with solar with the limitation of the small charge rate. Price circa £65

The CBE is designed to maximise the benefit of solar by sending charge at up to 4 amps to the cab battery once the hab battery has reached 13.6 volts (it only has to reach that voltage for an instant to begin transferring charge) and continues to transfer charge until the leisure battery is sensed to have dropped to 12.6 (wont in daylight due to solar input) i.e. it doesn't switch off just because it drops to 13.5 . Before fitting one of these my cab battery was always a lower voltage than my hab but now they are all fully charged and ready to go.
Price circa £27 + P&P

Conclusion
The CBE is useless if you dont have solar or hook up

The battery master is perfect if you dont have solar or hook up

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Brilliant explanation

The battery master was designed to support the cab battery at the expense of the leisure battery by transferring charge at anything up to 1.1 amps whilst ever the cab battery is half a volt lower than the hab.
This was primarily for storage situations with no hook up or solar BUT it will work with solar with the limitation of the small charge rate. Price circa £65

The CBE is designed to maximise the benefit of solar by sending charge at up to 4 amps to the cab battery once the hab battery has reached 13.6 volts (it only has to reach that voltage for an instant to begin transferring charge) and continues to transfer charge until the leisure battery is sensed to have dropped to 12.6 (wont in daylight due to solar input) i.e. it doesn't switch off just because it drops to 13.5 . Before fitting one of these my cab battery was always a lower voltage than my hab but now they are all fully charged and ready to go.
Price circa £27 + P&P

Conclusion
The CBE is useless if you dont have solar or hook up

The battery master is perfect if you dont have solar or hook up

Thank you.
I felt that I should be interested in this thread and now that I understand what you have all been on about I know I was right.
(My cab battery looses charge cos it powers the only CD player we have.)

Just have to find another supplier - I missed the last one.

Mind you, looking at the pile of pasta wires connected to my leisure battery I may have one already and it's just that the cab battery that's shagged. -- better get someone who knows about these things to have a look at it after all. - cheers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back