Van Weight Engineering (2 Viewers)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Very impressed with Van Weight Engineering's professional service. Quick and easy uprating of my vehicle.

The story is:

I have a new Burstner 7.5m 3500KG motorhome with a large garage and am carrying a motor scooter and 2 bikes in addition to the usual stuff so as I have C1 entitlement on my license I thought I might aswell get it uprated. Not had it weighed but the suggested payload is about 350KG.

I had basic air assist fitted at £650. Very good service also from https://www.uk-towbars.net/

Already on 16 inch alloys and Michelin Camper tyres.

Sent all this info and more (DVLA details, weight plates, photos etc) off to https://www.vanweightengineering.com/services and they completed all the paperwork, supplied me with a new weight plate, filled out all the forms for me to send to DVLA and uprated me to 4350KG.

Really pleased with the service - very quick turnaround and very professional. At £150 a lot cheaper than SV Tech which seems to be the other main recommendation on here.

Quote Quote
Broken Link Removed

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
Very impressed with Van Weight Engineering's professional service. Quick and easy uprating of my vehicle.

The story is:

I have a new Burstner 7.5m 3500KG motorhome with a large garage and am carrying a motor scooter and 2 bikes in addition to the usual stuff so as I have C1 entitlement on my license I thought I might aswell get it uprated. Not had it weighed but the suggested payload is about 350KG.

I had basic air assist fitted at £650. Very good service also from https://www.uk-towbars.net/

Already on 16 inch alloys and Michelin Camper tyres.

Sent all this info and more (DVLA details, weight plates, photos etc) off to https://www.vanweightengineering.com/services and they completed all the paperwork, supplied me with a new weight plate, filled out all the forms for me to send to DVLA and uprated me to 4350KG.

Really pleased with the service - very quick turnaround and very professional. At £150 a lot cheaper than SV Tech which seems to be the other main recommendation on here.

Quote Quote
Broken Link Removed

Nice one, thank for this info, really helpful

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fat Albert

Free Member
Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
This thread has given me the proverbial "KUTA". I started the up rating procedure back in Apr to have my Chausson 610 plated to 4000kgs.
Sent the dosh this morning, received a reply informing me they were on the case and starting the process this afternoon. Will update as to the progress.

Fat Albert

Free Member
Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Update. Just had my re plate package sent to me minutes ago and has been amended to MAM of 4350Kgs. You can't fault that sort of dedication and work ethos, when I sent the initial email this morning at 10:53 and received the package at 19:07. Now I will be held hostage by the DVLA:LOL: Hopefully they don't get GCHQ to scan for "DVLA" in forums and emails:( or I'm right down at the end of the queue.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Sounds very good value against their competitors. One query, I was under the impression the max weight could only be increased to 3850kgs. on a coach built. Am I missing something?

Fat Albert

Free Member
Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Well I don't know, I sent all the information that Dee requested on the initial contact form. Give him a call? Post#1 has been plated to 4350Kgs also

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Sounds very good value against their competitors. One query, I was under the impression the max weight could only be increased to 3850kgs. on a coach built. Am I missing something?
It will really depend on the spec of your vehicle. Things like type of wheels, suspension, brakes all contribute. For example mine has 16 inch wheels not 15's as a lot do. Also I added rear air assist to the suspension.

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Just to update. Just got confirmation of upgrade by DVLA. Took them 5 weeks 2 days to process.

Aug 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 679
Exp
I used Van Weight Engineering and after 8 weeks of DVLA processing time got my log book and its 100% correct.

VWE managed to add 500Kg payload and a further 500kg to my towing allowance and correct the fact its a tag axle on the log book.

So My Kontiki now as a MAM and Revenue Weight of 5500kg (was 5000kg) plus 1500kg (was 1000kg) towing so opens up more towing options than my fiat 500 on an a frame.

I was lucky as I had full VB air suspension fitted and wheels/tyres etc all up to it.

Very professional company cannot recommend highly enough.

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
DVLA usually gets "revenue weight" correct but check your F.1 "max permissable..." when the document arrives
Said this somewhere else but forgot about this thread.

You were correct. F.1 is still 3500. Emailed DVLA to ask them to sort it. No response as yet.

Fat Albert

Free Member
Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Just received my V5c after 6 weeks and 2 days and very excited I was till I found my reading glasses. Did they get it correct? What do you think, yes you were all correct, no(n).
The covering letter that Dee supplied had all the information and it just had to be entered onto the system but it was ignored. Categories that are blank, J: vehicle category. F.1 Max Permissible Mass. G. Mass in Service 2880 but no KG at end of line. O.1 Braked (KG) Blank and ).2 Unbraked KG Blank.
The Revenue weight is correct at 4350KG as is the taxation class.
Tomorrow is another day and I'll start right at the bottom of the DVLA board game, similar to snakes and ladders but you don't get to play with the dice.

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Van Weight Engineering suggested I contact vehicle5@dvla.gov.uk with the following

Hello Team,

I recently sent off paperwork to reclassify the weight of my vehicle VRM (insert reg number)

The V5c has come back with the weight correctly altered for Revenue Weight [Y], but not for Maximum Permissible Mass [F.1] and still shows the incorrect 3500.
This should be (insert correct weight)

In summary:-
[Y] = correct
[F.1] = incorrect and needs to be changed to (insert correct weight)

Please can you address these errors and re-send me a correct V5c logbook as soon as possible; once received, the incorrect V5c logbook will be destroyed.

Kind Regards

4 days later I received correctly updated V5! :love:

Fat Albert

Free Member
Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Back in the game with the DVLA. Emailed Dee at Van Weight Engineering late Wednesday afternoon, received a reply late evening with all the information for me to crack on to get the V5c amended. Email sent to the DVLA early Thursday morning and just the auto reply back. Hopefully new fully amended V5c will be back within VXman timescale. 🤞

dennis45

Free Member
Aug 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
C Class
I had the same problem recently and emailed vehicle5 as suggested by Dee on 3rd. May. The amended V5C turned up (along with a covering letter in separate envelope) mid-July, so 9 or so weeks later..

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
I had the same problem recently and emailed vehicle5 as suggested by Dee on 3rd. May. The amended V5C turned up (along with a covering letter in separate envelope) mid-July, so 9 or so weeks later..

Well, either I was lucky or they have upped their game.

Fat Albert

Free Member
Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Update to V5c amendment process. Initial request to correct the V5 was sent on the 5 Aug with an immediate reply email confirming receipt. Then nothing, I sent another polite email;) on the 14 Sept. Although nothing from the DVLA has hit my porch floor, I can see on the DVLA website that the V5 was changed on the 14 Sept but will have to wait to see what if anything has been amended;). Why am I so pessimistic?

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Top tip - do NOT send letters to DVLA "Registered" or "Signed for" as they go to a different address to the vehcile weights team and takes several weeks to filter to them.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
VWE processed my request within 48 hours. Now six months later, and after chasing twice, my application is still stuck with the DVLA. I will try this vehicle5 email.

Aug 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
panel van conversion
Another big thumbs up for Van Weight Engineering. My Boxer PVC now classed as a PHGV with a max allowable mass of 4500kg. Also just received a vehicle tax refund of £73.33 so nearly half the VWE fee repaid already. DVLA also failed to state the MAM same as the post above but all sorted now after sending pro-forma email as supplied by Dee.

Fat Albert

Free Member
Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Update to V5c amendment process. V5c hit the porch floor and all that was amended was the F.1 section to 4350 but asked for via Van Weight Engineering covering letter for the section J. Vehicle category and section O.1 and 2 regarding max mass of braked and unbraked trailers data to be included.
Is it possible for reader's of the post having gone through this torturous process with the DVLA to check their V5c. Are these sections complete on their V5c? Is it going to be an issue on the continent regarding Toll roads and Vin Tags? Thanks in advance.

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Another shout out for Dee and Claire at VWE. Just going through process of increasing MAM to 5700kg and GTW to 6150kg and it has taken less than 48 hours for them to sort.

I know DVLA will be a marathon and not a sprint, but fair play to Dee for being so prompt, efficient and helpful through the process so far

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Another vote for Van Weight Engineering. He really worked hard to find a way to get us a replate. His main competitor just sent an email saying “There’s no options for your van”

It now the fifth week since we went off the V5C - looks like 6/7 weeks is the norm these days

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Mine came through this week. (SVTech)

Fairly sure I posted it 4th July. (Second attempt!)

Cheers James

Fat Albert

Free Member
Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
How do see this?
I checked my vehicle tax status I knew it was taxed but after confirming the vehicle reg all the info was available. Bottom of the page was the date of the last V5c issued

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back