Van Weight Engineering - A New Option For Up-plating, Uprating & Downplating Motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Just had the latest list of approved companies from the DVSA & as well as the well rated but somewhat expensive SvTech there is one that is new - Van Weight Engineering https://www.vanweightengineering.com/home - has anyone tried their services yet? Having messaged to find out more - their prices seem fair ranging from £120-£200 depending on the level of work required & at present they can offer swift timescales for what they do but that may increase a little if they become popular!
At this sort of cost we are considering up-plating (paper exercise only as our Citroen Jumper/Relay is on Heavy Chassis) & are aware of the reduction in road tax charges that would bring but are there any other benefits or downsides to going from 3500kg to 4250kg rating?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I don't know the details but your brakes have to perform BETTER on a rolling road test at the MOT station if the vehcile weighs more.
Or that is the understanding i was left with........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Just had the latest list of approved companies from the DVSA & as well as the well rated but somewhat expensive SvTech there is one that is new - Van Weight Engineering https://www.vanweightengineering.com/home - has anyone tried their services yet? Having messaged to find out more - their prices seem fair ranging from £120-£200 depending on the level of work required & at present they can offer swift timescales for what they do but that may increase a little if they become popular!
At this sort of cost we are considering up-plating (paper exercise only as our Citroen Jumper/Relay is on Heavy Chassis) & are aware of the reduction in road tax charges that would bring but are there any other benefits or downsides to going from 3500kg to 4250kg rating?

thats a fair price and thanks for the info.

a question though are you sure that to get to 4250 from 3500 on your van is just a paper exercise? usually its 3500 to 385 max without wheels / tyres and a suspension tweek.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
That’s very interesting Karen. Go on, you do it and then you can provide a step by step guide for us please! We dithered with our previous van and then took it fully loaded including electric bikes , We even had cider in the fridge just before a trip to Spain and we came in at 3520kg so emptied the fresh water.

Since that trip we have lost weight but our latest van is a Comformatic which is heavier. Also Riverbankannie was very surprised we were OK on weight so I did wonder if the weighbridge was accurate and we‘ve only been fully loaded once in the new van due to blasted Covid!

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
thats a fair price and thanks for the info.

a question though are you sure that to get to 4250 from 3500 on your van is just a paper exercise? usually its 3500 to 385 max without wheels / tyres and a suspension tweek.
I'm no expert but do know that the Citroen Heavy Chassis (like Fiat Maxi) already has upgraded brakes, suspension & larger (16") wheels - the 4250kg was from info. on here but will of course check further. We have a good payload even at 3500kg & SORN the motorhome for part of the year so for us it's about reducing the long term running cost if using it more of the year in future.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I'm no expert but do know that the Citroen Heavy Chassis (like Fiat Maxi) already has upgraded brakes, suspension & larger (16") wheels - the 4250kg was from info. on here but will of course check further. We have a good payload even at 3500kg & SORN the motorhome for part of the year so for us it's about reducing the long term running cost if using it more of the year in future.

the maxi chassis will i believe go to 4250 kgs the last van we had did, hope it works for you (y)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
You could be cheeky and ask what SVTech reckons the max uprate is?
Just had confirmation from VWE that 4250kg should be fine so more than happy with that :)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
To the original question.... You will have some new speed limits to contend with and being over 3.5 tons there will be new areas forbidden for you to enter.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
To the original question.... You will have some new speed limits to contend with and being over 3.5 tons there will be new areas forbidden for you to enter.
speed limits in the UK are set by the kerb weight i.e. under 3050 Min weight then same as a car. as you say different in other countries its normally by gross weight.

GirlyVanGirly

Free Member
Nov 21, 2020
Beside the Seaside, beside the Sea! East Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
18 months
I have been reading as much as I can about uprating, and am very confused. I don't have my van yet and with all this about being overweight, and not being able to park anywhere I am beginning to wonder what I have let myself in for, getting a campervan was supposed to be fun, I am now finding it so stressful. I would not know where to start someone to fit 'air'? and feel I could be taken for a 'ride' (pardon the pun), I just don't have the knowledge to understand what to do for the best. As far as I know, maybe we will be able to put enough clothes, food etc on the van without going overweight. I am just feeling so scared about it right now.😭

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I have been reading as much as I can about uprating, and am very confused. I don't have my van yet and with all this about being overweight, and not being able to park anywhere I am beginning to wonder what I have let myself in for, getting a campervan was supposed to be fun, I am now finding it so stressful. I would not know where to start someone to fit 'air'? and feel I could be taken for a 'ride' (pardon the pun), I just don't have the knowledge to understand what to do for the best. As far as I know, maybe we will be able to put enough clothes, food etc on the van without going overweight. I am just feeling so scared about it right now.😭
Apologies if this thread added to your concerns :( Looking at your profile if you are getting an Elddis CV20 that has a 665kg payload so that should be fine for clothes & food. For peace of mind once you have it loaded for a trip it's worth taking it to a weighbridge. We like to fit & take lots of motorhome "toys" but they are not essential to enjoy motorhoming.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
You will be fine on a CV20 at the standard 3500kg, even with an awning

GirlyVanGirly

Free Member
Nov 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
18 months
Apologies if this thread added to your concerns :( Looking at your profile if you are getting an Elddis CV20 that has a 665kg payloalad so that should be fine for clothes & food. For peace of mind once you have it loaded for a trip it's worth taking it to a weighbridge. We like to fit & take lots of motorhome "toys" but they are not essential to enjoy motorhoming.
I have read that the 665kg payload may not be right, and has been calculated without a passenger, fuel, water etc.... I fully intend taking it to a weighbridge, but although I am going to add a solar panel, I was not prepared to have to pay £1,000+ to get the suspension sorted and get it uprated. Really don't want to be fined for being overweight either though. :eek: Everything has been so ***** this past year I don't think I can handle much more stress and disappointment.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
That’s very interesting Karen. Go on, you do it and then you can provide a step by step guide for us please! We dithered with our previous van and then took it fully loaded including electric bikes , We even had cider in the fridge just before a trip to Spain and we came in at 3520kg so emptied the fresh water.

Since that trip we have lost weight but our latest van is a Comformatic which is heavier. Also Riverbankannie was very surprised we were OK on weight so I did wonder if the weighbridge was accurate and we‘ve only been fully loaded once in the new van due to blasted Covid!
We have definitely decided against up-plating as it was so long and tedious trying to renew C1 when we were 70. It means that you are a bit stuck for going abroad while waiting for all the tests. The van never looks heavy as it always has its bum in the air :ROFLMAO:and nose down and nothing strapped on the back etc, so unless we came across a road check where they were pulling in everybody, then I think we would have to be very unlucky on that last journey back from France with all the stash! Maybe our weighbridge was reading heavy!

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I have read that the 665kg payload may not be right, and has been calculated without a passenger, fuel, water etc.... I fully intend taking it to a weighbridge, but although I am going to add a solar panel, I was not prepared to have to pay £1,000+ to get the suspension sorted and get it uprated. Really don't want to be fined for being overweight either though. :eek: Everything has been so ***** this past year I don't think I can handle much more stress and disappointment.
Well my Elddis was close to spot on
Have you ordered extras.?
Gas is underslung tank
Water weighs only 1kg per litre
its a 2 person van, even with 2 bikes on the back you will be miles under...honestly

GirlyVanGirly

Free Member
Nov 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
18 months
Well my Elddis was close to spot on
Have you ordered extras.?
Gas is underslung tank
Water weighs only 1kg per litre
its a 2 person van, even with 2 bikes on the back you will be miles under...honestly
That's good to know. I have booked in for a solar panel, that's all. Husband might have to choose which musical instruments to leave behind! It will be like asking him to choose his favourite child!

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
GirlyVanGirly Can I assure you that in the real world not everyone sticks to all the rules all the time and there is little to be concerned about. However when someone wishes to alter their van, then there are consequences and some rules to be concerned about. The only concern most of us are at least half conscious about, is being overweight. The usual answer is not to carry too much water and not to overfill the rear of their van.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I took my 2012 Elddis Aspire from 3500 to 3850 using SV Tec for the parts and paperwork. This involved fitting semi air and to get the 2240 kg on the rear axle going from 215/70/R15 to 225/70/R15. Fitted the semi air in around 2 1/2 hours quite straight forward. Didn’t go for the compressor option not worth it. Found the best setting by removing all the contents from the van, measuring the height fron the rear jacking points to ground, loaded the van leaving all those must have cant do without extras that never get used and pumping the air bags up to reach the original height the added 1/2 a bar. Ride really good.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
I have an Autocruise Select 144 a PVC with bike rack.
I took it to Settle Coal for the weighbridge.
Fuel full
Water full
Usual clothes
Most of the travelling food and essentials
Mary and I
The result was 3140kg
So, The weight of the van you are looking to get is available and Jim The Boss Man did and article about motorhome weights and how to estimate same.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
GirlyVanGirly I see you are in Sussex there is a dynamic Weighbridge on the A27 immediately north of Shoreham Airport on the west bound carriageway. Open 24/7 and its free.
We used to use it regularly as we live near it, until we bought a van with loads of payload (1350kg).

You mentioned air suspension you would only need that if you needed to uprate the rear axle unless you wanted it for better stability.

GirlyVanGirly

Free Member
Nov 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
18 months
GirlyVanGirly I see you are in Sussex there is a dynamic Weighbridge on the A27 immediately north of Shoreham Airport on the west bound carriageway. Open 24/7 and its free.
We used to use it regularly as we live near it, until we bought a van with loads of payload (1350kg).

You mentioned air suspension you would only need that if you needed to uprate the rear axle unless you wanted it for better stability.
Thanks Lenny,

I am actually in East Sussex and believe there is a weighbridge in Hastings, which I will investigate. Nice to know about the Shoreham one though, we will be going that way to get our solar panel fitted as soon as we get the van.

Feb 13, 2021
Newport Pagnell
Funster No
MH
Buccaneer Commodore
Exp
Since 2018.
Yes know about your weights and the speed limits, which are on the Government website. Take it easy, you are on holiday.

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Got mine this Morning, £150 and Painless, 7 Days start to finish...
Waiting for DVLA to do their bit now...
Fitted Air Assist on the back, Already had 225/75/16 Q116 on Alloys fitted all round, fitted uprated coil springs on the front to get the extra 250Kg...
IMG_20210310_012851.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back