Van Theft. Don't let this happen to you! A few simple precautions and you keep your van! (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Ours us now in a bag having been upgraded to a Vanbitz Growler.
I think it was Eddie (or perhaps someone else) mentioned that it took about 10 minutes to remove it. Same as the terrible Scorpion system that was apparently factory fitted to mine.

It makes me wonder when I see people with caravans fitted with alarm and tracker from the factory - so it is fitted in the same place on the production line by largely low skilled workers..... how hard is that going to be to find for the average itinerant lover of large twin axle jobbies.

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
Thanks for posting Jim, we live about a mile away and didn’t know. Will up security and hope it’s not something that’s doing the rounds. We are away at present in ours but our next door neighbour had a break in, keys stolen to his car and brand new motorbike. He was in the police at the time 15 yrs ago.
Ray

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
If anyone is interested what the alarm looks like here it is:

20F9131F-4F38-4319-9DBC-9001A80D1961.jpeg

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Mine.

Vanbitz
Tracker
Swivel seat bolted in reverse
Doors have internal locks
Front wheel clamped
Pedals clamped
Covered by CCTV

Ummmm Anyone fancy to a try?

Is that a challenge and how much would you bet if we managed to remove the vehicle 😉😊

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Not long after we brought our Rienza home I left it on the road rather than on the drive. Some one got in and took things like the sat nav and the little 12 volt tv. There was no attempt to take it away so I assume it was the lower class of scum that just wanted possessions to sell rather than the vehicle it’s self.
I might be a bit short sighted but I have only fitted dead locks to the cab doors, the habitation door had a dead lock from the start. Being an older motorhome I hope it’s not as much of a target. It takes all my time to get it off the drive without catching the mirrors on the gate posts. Also our Polo is on the road across the drive.
If it was newer I would justify a professionally fitted alarm.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Is that a challenge and how much would you bet if we managed to remove the vehicle 😉😊
I offered a bet in a National magazine once (motorhome magazines, were how we all found out about stuff before Jim killed them all off)

I said if someone could overcome my security system they could take the van.

I added, if it were to be a ‘real’ life test, they should expect to get battered to a bloody pulp by my family and the security staff at Cornish Farm when discovered in the act

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Beretta 92FS, fitted with polished wood grips and inlaid Beretta brass insert. :gum:

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Van on the drive , to fix a leeking tap.
4:00 a.m to day, ( street lights turned off) our dog barks, noise of engine running outside. Have a peep, oldish car outside the house, wrong side of the road, at end of drive, blokes chatting. Flick house lights on, off they speed. 🙂

probably just trying to figure out why the reversing light is flashing red at that time of the morning.😆.

van will of course be somewhere else tonight.
don’t want my nights sleep disturbed again.

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Even something as simple as a hardened steel chain around the seat and steering wheel will do the trick. Just don't keep the key for the padlock in the same place as the van keys😄

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Touch wood, this is a low crime area. When I moved here in 2012 I even got a part refund of premiums.

If our MH was being targeted repeatedly I would consider moving house again.

As for the current keyless entry fad by car manufacturers this is ridiculous from a security perspective. It made us decide to buy a middle spec model last year instead of the top EX spec which has keyless entry. We lose a few onboard gadgets, but don't worry about seeing an empty space in the morning. Mind you if I were a car thief I would rather choose the shiny new BMW or Jag parked nearby.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
It just slows them down you can’t do more than that , except removing relays etc etc been discussed many a time . We just live with it

Rustyspanners

Free Member
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
When leaving it not used on the drive I jack up the van put it on stands and remove the back wheels.
But them out of sight.
I think this buts them off.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've seen many motorhomes reversed on a drive which makes a quick getaway easy

Mine is driven on , always has one car behind it , two at night , it has an immobiliser and a disklok fitted

If somebody really wants it they'll carjack you but thankfully that's very rare in the UK

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I came home without ours today :cry: so if its gets nicked its Marquis responsibility but I've every faith in our Outsmart The Thief system. (y)
Auch bl**dy h*ll.
Have they still got problems getting it fixed?:(

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Auch bl**dy h*ll.
Have they still got problems getting it fixed?:(
No, it’s finished, just to be water tested after the weekend but I had to get back to mum, she took a fall 😢 so will go collect it before end of month.

Aug 8, 2013
CHESTER
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544
Exp
Since 2006
My brother has a removable steering wheel which he puts in a secret place. So secret even he has forgot where he put it and travelled back and to from storage searching for it!

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Mines a bag of shit so no one would want to steal it in the first place and its only a 1.9 Peugeit do iv they do nick it I can run after them and catch them up ask for it back
This thread is only for vehicles valued over £1500

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Should be able to do them in breaking into your house
You go stealing you take the risk
There be a few more scum bags about

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Forgot to add the full alarm system: Vanbitz Growler with MetaTrak and Non starter.

Apr 21, 2019
Willenhall
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
30 years on and off
I have 2 old wheel rims that sit under the rear and a Hefty chain locked round rear axle, mate did the same and when the nicked it we found it down the road. The noise woke everyone in the street who pointed us the way to go track it down a few streets away.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I have often wondered if a crate of C4 in the garage linked to a fishing line and a Hand Grenade pin would be legal ??? 💥💥:giggler::giggler::getmecoat:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back