LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Oh strange feeling, but now it's planning time for next years adventures. :)

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
So true Carol. And next April (all being well) Martin will have taken his early retirement and we will be away a lot more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi
Did you do your Sorn online ? Husband has been trying to do one for our car online and has not been successful because we want the Sorn to start from 1st Nov when we go away .They will only do it from the 1st of October when we still need the car . Is he doing something wrong ?

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Hoping ours will still be used over the winter....and got BreweryDave's meet to go to at the end of November :)
As it's our first winter, we might be in for a shock! Haha

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
When I had a boat I found I didn't like fitting out time. I then realised the the cause of fitting out was laying up. I stopped laying the boat up for the winter. I have applied this same theory to caravans and now motorhomes. I use them all year round, there's nothing nicer than sitting up in bed with a tea looking out at the frost :sleep:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Yes were the same. All year round.
It might be minus temps outside. But with the Webasto diesel heating were toasty warm inside.
We find plenty village pubs in out of the way places like this, ( up at Ralph's cross ) that let you stay overnight in the quiet car parks.
No hook up but we don't need it.
We've regular places we go in boggy rainy weather, icy snowy days, or cracking the flags days , that aren't campsites. As well as little sites that open year round too.
That's buster rolling around in the snow on the bottom picture. At sunset.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Hi
Did you do your Sorn online ? Husband has been trying to do one for our car online and has not been successful because we want the Sorn to start from 1st Nov when we go away .They will only do it from the 1st of October when we still need the car . Is he doing something wrong ?

Yes I did it on line. It is SORNed from 1st November, well that is what it said on the web page but isn't confirmed on the email from them. As we won't be using again this year anyway the actual date doesn't matter to us. I had to use the BETA system as the standard system wasn't working.

I used the code from the renewal notice as the tax was due at the end of the month anyway. Not sure if that makes a difference. Otherwise put in the SORN on the 31st October or the last day you use the car.

Goshawk

Free Member
Mar 2, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
mmmm i dont sorn, everything ready (well Nearly) to go if required we were up near nantwjch bridgemere last november, so may go somewhere again, depending on knee op :)

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Hoping ours will still be used over the winter....and got BreweryDave's meet to go to at the end of November :)
As it's our first winter, we might be in for a shock! Haha
With you on that one :Eeek:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
it may be that the sorn doesnt kick in till the 1st of the month after you do it as tax isnt refunded till then im no expert on this so dont rely on this just my thoughts

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Hymer sorned now until the snow starts in the Alps, then whopeeeeeeeeee :imoutahere: down hill ski`s on.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
The SORN notification has just been done and takes effect from 1st November.

I already have withdrawal symptoms.

Know the feeling, but it's work rather than the time of year that prevents us using the van.:cry: Roll on third and final retirement.(y)

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We have sorned but may go off twix christmas and newyear depends on weather but maybe head for the highlands .

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
mmmm i dont sorn, everything ready (well Nearly) to go if required we were up near nantwjch bridgemere last november, so may go somewhere again, depending on knee op :)
I sorned mine last year and still awaiting knee op. to be fair she wanted work done that I did not see as being worth it for a short time. got anemia now so op put off again getting right fed up cos spring will soon be here

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Yes I did it on line. It is SORNed from 1st November, well that is what it said on the web page but isn't confirmed on the email from them. As we won't be using again this year anyway the actual date doesn't matter to us. I had to use the BETA system as the standard system wasn't working.

I used the code from the renewal notice as the tax was due at the end of the month anyway. Not sure if that makes a difference. Otherwise put in the SORN on the 31st October or the last day you use the car.
Make sure your insurance company knows!! They can kick off big time if you don't inform them and you have to claim for anything.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
what's all this scorn stuff get out and use it it's better for the van and you
bill

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
We always use ours all year round, maybe only for day trips if its really cold, but in 7 years we've never sorned it.

Goshawk

Free Member
Mar 2, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
scally i know the feeling, get well soon:)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi
I had exactly the same problem myself today.
However, can I point out that although they are stating that the SORNwill take effect from the 1st Oct. The vehicle will still have valid tax until the end of this month.
Under those circs, your vehicle can still be used on a road because it is legal to do so.
It is typical of the simplisic approach of DVLA. They have no idea on how to set up their website.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Correction from above .

I've just received my written confirmation that our car has been SORN'ed.
It says (Quote)
|This confirms that we have updated our record to show you have SORNed the following vehicle.
Da de dah etc.
Your SORN starts on 1st OCT.

This vehicle must not be used or kept on a road while the SORN is in force. Failure to tax and insure or SORN your vehicle may result in a fine or prosecution.

Please see over where it continues We will automatically issue you with a refund of Vehicle Tax for any of the remaining months.

It goes on but that is of no interest to me as it doesn't apply.

I'll lay my cards on the table at this point and state that I'm looking at this from my antecedent history of wearing a big hat, big boots, bending at the knee saying "Warm night, Warm night" I did 'The Job' for thirty years, all in uniform and all at the sharp end so I know my way around the vaguaries of Traffic Law.

So can someone explain to me how I can declare a SORN on the 25th of the month and authority taking it into their head that I should have the SORN starting on the 1st. It doesn't make sense and is pure bad law.
From what I have read, it would seem that my use of a vehicle on a road at any time since the 1st creates an offence of using a m/Vehicle on a road when a SORN was in place.
Further to that and in the knowledge that the tax on the vehicle doesn't get cancelled and refunded by DVLA until midnight tonight, I would seem to have commited an even greater sin by driving said car on a road, AFTER I have declared SORN.

If this is the case, can some smart alec at Swansea explain to me how I am supposed to declare SORN to them, without losing a months tax.
Nowhere on the form I have been sent does it say that I can continue driving the vehicle until the end of the month.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
This is what i got back from them:

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL - PLEASE DO NOT REPLY AS EMAILS
RECEIVED AT THIS ADDRESS CANNOT BE RESPONDED TO.

Confirmation of Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)

Thank you for using DVLA Vehicle Licensing Online.
Your SORN has been successful.

The SORN will be valid until you tax, sell, permanently export or scrap the vehicle.

Any refund of vehicle tax due will be automatically issued to the name and address on our records. If you pay by Direct Debit your Direct Debit will be cancelled.

Vehicle Registration Number:
Reference Number: 1133 etc
Application Made On: 26/10/2014 13:18:55

You may wish to save or print this email confirmation for your records.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Vodafone in partnership with Symantec. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) This email has been certified virus free.
Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for legal purposes.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well in the last 10 minutes I have just SORN'd KN08i (Nobby) with effect from Nov 1st. I have only used it once since February in Brugge because of the house Renovation so there is no way I'll be using it again before the New Year.

Did it all on line, worked a treat.........Griff

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I wonder how you managed to get yours to start on Nov 1st and they didn't give me a choice but assumed I wanted mine to start on Oct 1st. Baffling

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back