LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I never realised that ducks went into hibernation. ... could you not migrate like some other species?;)
Next year when the drake retires........
Ducks don't like it when the first snow storm of the year is this deep (2 years ago), and it continued to snow and just got deeper and deeper.....

Attachments

• 100_5717.JPG
    100_5717.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 17

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
I'm sure I heard they are forecasting an arctic blast for 5 months this winter - I really hope they've got that wrong. I do like to see snow, but we are just not geared up for it in this country. Everything grinds to a halt and heating your home is very expensive.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Me too. In fact I think I prefer it to summer camping.
Getting up in the morning with a crisp frost frozen ground skimming stones over a frozen pond.
We play a game where we skim a stone over the ice and the nearest to the jack wins
a bit like curling with out walking on the ice
It's fun and with adult supervision is safe an different

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
Do others agree with me...

If I am reading the new road tax system correctly, you can effectively tax for a month at a time?

I.e. I have SORN'd from the 1st November. But lets say in January I decided to go on a jaunt - I could tax it then for six months, then SORN it again from the 1st February. If I read the new rules correctly, I would be refunded for the "unused" five months. Make sense?

The one thing I am a bit unsure of is if the refund is only if I sell it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
You could do better than that. You could put the Tax on Direct Debit, then SORN it and they would cancel the D/D
So you would end up paying for one month.
Don't know what the direct cost comparison is though.

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
You could do better than that. You could put the Tax on Direct Debit, then SORN it and they would cancel the D/D
So you would end up paying for one month.
Don't know what the direct cost comparison is though.

Thanks. Could still be beneficial for a MH owner though. Unless I am missing something!

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I'm sure I heard they are forecasting an arctic blast for 5 months this winter - I really hope they've got that wrong. I do like to see snow, but we are just not geared up for it in this country. Everything grinds to a halt and heating your home is very expensive.
I hope we don't get as much snow as we did 2 years ago. It started in mid-November and just kept on snowing. We were snowed in for 3 weeks and then it was dicey even with 4WD. The snow was about 8 ft deep on our garden and (obviously) deeper where it had been piled up beside the roads. I would not want to take the motorhome out in those conditions.

I would also not like to be stuck somewhere and unable to get home.

Being out in the sticks we are geared up for being cut off, I have done the big winter shop (enough cupboard food to last a couple of months) and have started to get the gerry cans for the genny filled. We store the maximum allowed but not in the house of course!

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Getting up in the morning with a crisp frost frozen ground skimming stones over a frozen pond.
We play a game where we skim a stone over the ice and the nearest to the jack wins
a bit like curling with out walking on the ice
It's fun and with adult supervision is safe an different
It's not cold that is the problem but actually getting out of the village (or back home) should we have any real snow. We are always the last place that is re-connected to any sort of system and if there is snow around we will get it.

We have been kayak sledging before - that's fun. We've even filled the kayaks with supplies and dragged them to neighbours in bad weather. Our garage has a roller door as come the snow an up and over wouldn't (go up and over).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Let's hope it doesn't come to that again.
We've been snowed in every year except one since we moved here. The last winter I was at work it took me 3 hours to drive half a mile and once I got home I didn't get out again for a week.......

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Appreciate the above - not appropriate to "like" it though......

Here in the wilds of Suffolk we sometimes get snow, but not often.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
In south west wales last year we didn't have one night that went below freezing, it was an incredibly mild winter. We used the motorhome all through when we had a free weekend. The main difference with summer use was copious amounts of boxed DVD sets. Not much else to do at 4.30 pm when the light goes:whistle:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You should have kept your MH on the road and stayed the night in Hawick. Colin said to say it was lovely to meet you today.:)

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I had a lovely day - really enjoyed it. Martin was starting to get worried as I was out so long - he should have known we would be gassing.

We won't be using Buffy until (probably) March or April so will use the VED we save for another toy, errr sorry, essential piece of equipment.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Just did tax for next year & hadn't considered SORN:( Anyone know how it works if have already paid then want to SORN for next 4 months? Is it easy or not worth the hassle?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Just did tax for next year & hadn't considered SORN:( Anyone know how it works if have already paid then want to SORN for next 4 months? Is it easy or not worth the hassle?
Just do it on line - no problem but you will not get the current month refunded.

toledo

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2011
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Life Member
Get a life and head for warmer climates for the winter

Dave

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Would love to use all year round but still working & have our son in Sixth Form so not free to yet!

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we have done it on line. I say we but I mean the boss. if we need to use you can tax quite easily.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back