Van Scam Update (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would try and get a full refund, even if you keep it how do you sell on or part ex a vehicle with that history.
Well that's why I'm on about the price, if it's right cheap it doesn't matter if he is otherwise satisfied with the van, doesn't say how old it is or anything, I've had vans with the floor dropping out, and had various engines in but still happy with them as they weren't much above scrap price to start with.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Was this post for me , if so no not looking for something like this but in years gone by , yes if the van was the right price I would consider it but not if he has paid for one thing and got another.

No not for you. Uniresearcher is researching scams. (y)

OP
OP
reenag06

reenag06

Free Member
Aug 13, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starspirit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Price was more or less in line with others but mileage is a lot more on original chassis. Garage not forthcoming with giving me money back, still with trading standards but they not rushing to help. Bodywork looks good and probably been re sprayed.
Seems like a bit of stalemate at the moment. Garage says go to trading standards as they nothing to hide.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Price was more or less in line with others but mileage is a lot more on original chassis. Garage not forthcoming with giving me money back, still with trading standards but they not rushing to help. Bodywork looks good and probably been re sprayed.
Seems like a bit of stalemate at the moment. Garage says go to trading standards as they nothing to hide.
Nothing to hide?? :rofl::rofl: They sold you a clocked vehicle, and they have nothing to hide?? Dear God.........

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
A/S really also need to be involved and I am sure they will be interested and back you up.

It might also help if you get advice via the citizen's advice bureau's tame solicitor.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

As I understand it, if the seller is a Motor Trader and, he failed to disclose something material to you which, if you had been aware of, it would have caused you to make a different buying decision then, he has committed an offence in England, in Scotland you would need to prove intent.

Are you speaking to a TSO local to you or, local to the Garage? Try speak to Trading Standards local to the Garage, they may well be aware of any history.

You should write to the dealer rejecting the vehicle on the grounds that it is not as described.

OP
OP
reenag06

reenag06

Free Member
Aug 13, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starspirit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have written to garage with misrepresentation letter which they didn't reply to.
Have spoken to their trading standards office, well you can't speak directly to them you have to go through citizens advice first! Have spoken to my local T.S. And they said they will pass inf. on but it may be I have to take them to court.
Garage have said they will put right anything wrong, will get it re-registered as motorhome and that it is a good van. Will see what tomorrow's inspection uncovers and see where I go from there.
The worst thing is it does look a great van on the surface........

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Have spoken to their trading standards office, well you can't speak directly to them you have to go through citizens advice first! QUOTE]

Why? CaB is staffed by volunteers, TS is a council service staffed by council employees, there is no reason why you should have to go through CaB. Throughout many years of dealing with and assisting Trading Standards Officers, I have never involved a third party.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
I would try and get a full refund, even if you keep it how do you sell on or part ex a vehicle with that history.

Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

As I understand it, if the seller is a Motor Trader and, he failed to disclose something material to you which, if you had been aware of, it would have caused you to make a different buying decision then, he has committed an offence in England, in Scotland you would need to prove intent.

Are you speaking to a TSO local to you or, local to the Garage? Try speak to Trading Standards local to the Garage, they may well be aware of any history.

You should write to the dealer rejecting the vehicle on the grounds that it is not as described.

All 100% correct.
As a trader I can speak with some knowledge on the subject.
there is no way in the wide world would I dare try and defend this sale in a court of law based on what you have declared.
Clocked vehicle.....
Vehicle that is in all respects a "cut and shut" ....
Non declaration of any of the above .....
MOT that shouldn't have been performed .....
A vehicle not as it is on the V5 ......
And the dealer has admitted the above ?

The vehicle, no mater how reasonable priced must be "fit for purpose"..... has it been rebuilt as per manufacturers specifications ?
Consider the future resale value?

Listen..... motor dealers never have a good day in court, can't see this being any different.
Go get proper legal advice as soon as possible, while we all give advice it is better to let the professionals handle this and all corroondance done through your legal reps.

All of the above only applies if you both can't reach an agreement that satisfies both parties and you are happy and content to carry on.

Good luck in any case and keep us updated.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Out of interest can you post a few photos.

OP
OP
reenag06

reenag06

Free Member
Aug 13, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starspirit
Exp
I'm a newbie
You try getting a direct number for trading standards.... I have tried without success as I have to get them in Stockport and it gives a form to fill in which will be passed to T.S.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
You try getting a direct number for trading standards.... I have tried without success as I have to get them in Stockport and it gives a form to fill in which will be passed to T.S.

Here you are: 0161 474 4195

but you didn't get it from me :)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Just catching up on this thread and missed the last one, so perhaps not up to speed on it all....

I might be misguided, but isn't an Autosleeper Symbol a panel van ? What's this body mounted on a different chassis business ?

There is no Autosleeper Symbol coachbuilt ....

I regularly see second rate home conversions for sale with 'Autosleeper' decals on them.

Even seen owners convinced that they own an 'Autosleeper' when they have no such thing.....

Do we have any pictures to see what's what ???

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just catching up on this thread and missed the last one, so perhaps not up to speed on it all....

I might be misguided, but isn't an Autosleeper Symbol a panel van ? What's this body mounted on a different chassis business ?

There is no Autosleeper Symbol coachbuilt ....

I regularly see second rate home conversions for sale with 'Autosleeper' decals on them.

Even seen owners convinced that they own an 'Autosleeper' when they have no such thing.....

Do we have any pictures to see what's what ???
Good point. In that case how can they just put it on the other chassis? This is getting murkier by the minute.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
This van is an AS Symbol is it not? If that is the case then it is simply not possible to put a different body on the chassis as it is a unitary construction panel van not a coachbuilt motorhome! They may have swapped the engine/gearbox and even the running gear but the "chassis" is actually part of the body not two separate entities.

D.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
This van is an AS Symbol is it not? If that is the case then it is simply not possible to put a different body on the chassis as it is a unitary construction panel van not a coachbuilt motorhome! They may have swapped the engine/gearbox and even the running gear but the "chassis" is actually part of the body not two separate entities.

D.

Thats why i asked for a photo.

Uniresearcher

Free Member
May 5, 2015
leicester
Funster No
MH
Don't own a motorhome
Exp
I'm a newbie
@Uniresearcher Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?
Hello NickNic, thank you for this. I am looking to speak to anyone who has been scammed online i.e Ebay, Gumtree, private seller anything where you think you have been misled or miss sold something? Thanks for this

Uniresearcher

Free Member
May 5, 2015
leicester
Funster No
MH
Don't own a motorhome
Exp
I'm a newbie
@NickNic It might be thanks for this. Is this an online scam I am not sure what the story is? If someone has been scammed online and want to share their experiences for my research into scams then please contact me cd11@leicester.ac.uk or 07582501051 thank you

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

D.
What about simply swapping all the interior/exterior into another van -could the original have been in a accident and all the bits put into/onto another van ?
terry

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Sounds very much like the problem I had!!My camper was a stolen one that had been ringed!!The chassis plate had been expertly welded into the chassis !The police were useless!I traced the reg nos and chassis nos to a high mileage Transit van.It's a clever trick!Nick yourself a motorhome worth thousands,buy a van for a few hundred and switch the identities!I hope you get it sorted.I had loads of hassle and sleepless nights and went to court three times over it.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
my van looks like :sicker::rofl:

It's not the look of it but the fun you have with it ;) Also it doesn't look as it does without a lot of thought and hard work as it's an anti-theft device.... well that could be your story.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
What about simply swapping all the interior/exterior into another van -could the original have been in a accident and all the bits put into/onto another van ?
terry

This is of course completely possible but it was stated quite clearly that "Looks like chassis has been used and A/s body mounted on it." which simply is not possible with a Symbol as its a panel van conversion on a Peugeot Boxer base which is a unitary construction body type.

D.

old1

Free Member
Jul 28, 2012
Funster No
I had my first van conversion stolen from outside my house 25 years ago, the reason I owned it was that I worked all over the country.

9 or 10 months after being had over by insurance company, I was on way to my new site, wherever it was, can't remember. Went past secondhand car dealers, spotted a Renault metallic Blue van convertion, can't be many of them about, said nothing, next week same route, stopped at garage,
Hi there can a have a look at camper etc, dealer said "I will get the keys my friend" , no need I said, as I took out the remote fob & with a beep beep it was open, has the shower tray still got a crack on the left hand side.
Dealer then turned on me, good faith, F off, good faith, threatened me etc etc. So I calmly went down the road & called the police.

On arrival they checked my paperwork, agreed it was my van, ever though it was now a year older thanks to its new badging & number plating.

A month or so later a letter arrived from my insurance company, no further action, as dealers purchase was in good faith & he even got permission to put the correct plates on it.

You can't make this s**t up.........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back