Van roof solar wiring layout. (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
So I have the controller and 3 semi flexable panels and the cable entry box and fuses and I know where it all goes and how it connects together but how do/did you keep the wiring tidy on the roof?
With one panel and long cable tails on the last van I just fixed the cable to the roof through the entry box and direct to the controller. But with short tails I an going to need either 2x 3 to 1 connector or 4x 2 to 1 connectors before they get to the cable entry box and I would like to avoid the roof looking like a plate of black spaghetti with lumps in it.
Ideas or real world solutions please.
If it's been posted before point me in that direction.
TIA
Bern

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Instead of a cable entry box, I have opted for 10mm white glands, and fed all wires in the van. The combiner box is in the top locker.
With flexible panels you have the option of top cables( messy) or bottom cables. They get fed under the panel straight through the roof with a bit of sealant and a grommet. That way you have no cables on the roof. Retro fitting, you will need some conduit glued to prevent wires moving in the wind.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I used a $h!t load of self adhesive cable tie pads and I'll need to do it properly soon. They're lasting OK but the cable is losing it's colour and flexibility due to UV degradation. My plan is to Sika general purpose cable trunking between panels and roof gland once I can get the bits.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Those pads will fly off at first frost; they did not worked for me. Cable ties crumble after extensive UV exposure. Glued D line trunking is the way to go. It’s quieter than square in the wind.

OP
OP
berni109
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
unfortunately the wiring has to run across the roof to a single point of entry box to then get to the controller.
so it looks like trunking and possibly ip66 junction boxes rather than mc4 connectors. at 20mm diameter the mc4 connectors would need a fair sized trunking. if i cut the mc4s off i could crimp the cable joints inside the junction box?
any more ideas?

i used those cable tie pads on the last van but removed the self adhesive pads and stuck them down.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
This is the sort of thing you need. You can buy in different sizes and secure with sikaflex. Nice and tidy when finished.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Yes chop the mc4s and join them in a waterproof box. When you connect them together, crimp a end ferrule over the stranded cable if it goes into a screw terminal block.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back