van paintings (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
The plan for the van is to live in it (eventually), so it will have to be my mobile studio too.
Still working out how to combine being creative with being super tidy and remember in which cubbyhole I have put what.
Just spent 2 nights on a CL and did find some time to do something. The kitchen counter is the perfect height for painting and the daylight in here is really good, even on a dull day.

Watercolour attempt of church, I think Cuckfield, plenty of artistic licence. I can actually see right now that the steeple is leaning, well done Soph, hadn't spotted that yet. Interesting how I sometimes only see these things when I actually post it. I mean, I have looked at the painting, it is leaning against the other seat, I have taken a photo of it and cropped and compressed it, but I didn't notice until right now.

DSC04090 comp.JPG

DSC04070 comp.JPG

And then some sheep, they were clearly used to people bringing them food, they very excitedly came rushing over and then stood there for ages staring at me 'does she or doesn't she have food'? Oil pastel, quink ink (when you add water it separates out into all kinds of fabulous colours) and some Indian ink for extra darks. This is just a trial sketch, not happy with how the shrubbery in the background worked out. Like the sheep though, guess it is like olives, love or loathe my scribbly way, not offended at all if you hate it.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If I could produce anything like that I would be very happy. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Love the sheep ... I can see the expressions on their faces ... "gimme food"!!!

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I'm not really any good at all but it is something I enjoy spending my time doing.
Have been away in the New Forest for the past week and had a lovely time walking and painting. Will gradually add my attempts. Top one is from a photo I took of a stile while out walking. Messed about with watercolour ground (a kind of texture paste), not sure it makes much difference.
The second one is the view from my window where I stayed in Bartley, pencil.

DSC04118 comp.JPG

DSC04114 comp.JPG

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
guess it is like olives, love or loathe my scribbly way, not offended at all if you hate it
..... quite like it actually .....

The sheep are fun and, you know, some steeples actually DO lean .....
This one, which is most definitely leaning, is ..... ooh, would you guess it ..... Cuckfield!

holy-trinity-church-cuckfield-village-west-sussex-england-uk-EFB695.jpg

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016

This one, which is most definitely leaning, is ..... ooh, would you guess it ..... Cuckfield!

Oh, you are actually telling me that I was obviously observing very well without even realising it ::bigsmile: That must be a first ever! The really hilarious bit is that I didn't even notice until I uploaded it here.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009

holy-trinity-church-cuckfield-village-west-sussex-england-uk-EFB695.jpg
And Chesterfield!!!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I'm not really any good at all but it is something I enjoy spending my time doing.
Have been away in the New Forest for the past week and had a lovely time walking and painting. Will gradually add my attempts. Top one is from a photo I took of a stile while out walking. Messed about with watercolour ground (a kind of texture paste), not sure it makes much difference.
The second one is the view from my window where I stayed in Bartley, pencil.

View attachment 140280

View attachment 140279
Lovely! Wish I had a talent and how great to use your MH as a mobile studio!!
Painting is a lovely record of the places you visit instead of photos!

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
You might get a few tips from this YouTube channel - a fulltimer who makes his living from his art.

Paul

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Very nice artwork. (y) Best I can even draw is a matchstick man let alone paint.:LOL:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I tried painting once I bought a huge blank canvas and painted a scene of country side with sheep and birds that a 5 year old would have been pleased with, I hung it up for a day above the fireplace but I was so embarrassed by it I turned it into an aztec painting,should have been famous, didn't like that one either so turned it into a large tree with what looked like a sunset behind it, I sold it for the amazing sum of 99 pence on ebay when we downsized the house. It cost more on paint and utensils!

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
I tried painting once I bought a huge blank canvas and painted a scene of country side with sheep and birds that a 5 year old would have been pleased with, I hung it up for a day above the fireplace but I was so embarrassed by it I turned it into an aztec painting,should have been famous, didn't like that one either so turned it into a large tree with what looked like a sunset behind it, I sold it for the amazing sum of 99 pence on ebay when we downsized the house. It cost more on paint and utensils!

That has to be the bravest way to tackle painting. I must have filled a huge paper recycling container by now and I still regularly slip into something a 2-year old would manage easily! But you know, I find it relaxing and I don't care too much about the results and every so often something does work out. And yes, my skills are much better by now, have a bit more of an idea how it works. But not sure I'll ever get it and I don't really mind to be honest, there's worse (and cheaper/more expensive) habits.

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
London Minstead, New Forest. Took a photo. Must confess that buildings are not my forte. Did several sketches of the photo when back in the van, trying to practice getting the angles of the building convincingly right. Then put the photo away and just worked from the sketches. It's pen and ink line with watercolour wash. The road was white with ice as in the shade but haven't quite managed that effect, wrong colour. The shadows of the posts are also too strong.

DSC04227 comp.JPG

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Very nice artwork. (y) Best I can even draw is a matchstick man let alone paint.:LOL:
DO IT SUNSHINE..... DO IT .... It didn't do Lowry any harm... :)

then when you made your fortune ... remember which friend prompted you to get stuck in... MEEEEEEEEE. :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I will have a look, but have no illusions about me making any money from it. Hardly any of it goes on my wall, let alone someone else wanting it on their wall!
You would be amazed at what people will buy.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I had a go at painting but whatever I did you could still see the numbers, how did you overcome this?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I had a go at painting but whatever I did you could still see the numbers, how did you overcome this?

Mum died last year and I have only just started sorting stuff out.............. I came across some painting by numbers that I did when I was about five years old ...... Those were the good old days ... not mobiles, i pads, x boxes ... just sheer pleasure as you opened the little pots of colour and smelt the oil. :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I'm so sorry but I keep seeing this posting and I thought it was a new football player from The Netherlands. :roflmto:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I will have a look, but have no illusions about me making any money from it. Hardly any of it goes on my wall, let alone someone else wanting it on their wall!

Not only on their walls.... @Carol and Eddie have a lovely small painting on their motorhome of goats around a tree ... I don't know where to copy it from but maybe Carol can show you. It is only small and discreet. I am sure you could do something with your artistic talent along those lines.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I like to think of myself as a bit of an artist(y)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I'm so sorry but I keep seeing this posting and I thought it was a new football player from The Netherlands. :roflmto:
No that was Van Pantings, he was always knackered after 10 minutes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back