Van dumping all the water when cold???? (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
has an element to warm the valve if the temperature drops

I must be missing something here. Isn't the dump valve a safety item to protect the boiler from damage due to freezing?

....and now someone makes a device to keep the valve warm...?!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I must be missing something here. Isn't the dump valve a safety item to protect the boiler from damage due to freezing?

....and now someone makes a device to keep the valve warm...?!
It only heats the valve when the boiler it turned on. It's designed for when your dump valve is in a remote position where it can get cold.even when heating is on

Poly Hive

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ixeo Time It 745
Exp
Over 20 years
We wild camp.
Our first couple of trips have been marred by water dumping. So. After getting advice that setting the interior temperature to 16C we ran an experiment last night. The van was set to 25C for three hours then turned down to 16 for the night. I taped a thermometer to the water tank which is about 9" from the valve. This morning after a night of -1C the dump had happened again but the temp on the tank was 9.1C We are thinking this dump valve is going off at too high a temp. Your thoughts please?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We wild camp.
Our first couple of trips have been marred by water dumping. So. After getting advice that setting the interior temperature to 16C we ran an experiment last night. The van was set to 25C for three hours then turned down to 16 for the night. I taped a thermometer to the water tank which is about 9" from the valve. This morning after a night of -1C the dump had happened again but the temp on the tank was 9.1C We are thinking this dump valve is going off at too high a temp. Your thoughts please?

Well if the water was still hot in the tank(say 40c) when you went to bed the thermometer taped to it would have been receiving 'conductive' heat from the residual temperature of the water, whereas the valve would not, in the free air, although only 9" away so the temperature there could have dropped down to the opening value of 4C.

Just my theory.

Geoff

Poly Hive

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ixeo Time It 745
Exp
Over 20 years
Miss understanding here. The water tank I am referring to is the potable water tank NOT the boiler which was left on at 60 in fact.

PH

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Miss understanding here. The water tank I am referring to is the potable water tank NOT the boiler which was left on at 60 in fact.

PH
Yes, but if your hot water tank dumps, it keeps on drawing more water from the freshwater tank until it is empty (as I know soooo well...)

Once you have got to grips with resetting (which took us 3 years, every year it was back to square one until I eventually wrote it down!) then leaving the hot water on 60 should be sufficient I would have thought. But if you haven't reset properly it just keeps dumping...

Poly Hive

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ixeo Time It 745
Exp
Over 20 years
I have to take the vehicle back to the dealer on Thursday so will consult with them.

PH

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

The lessons to be learned from the above link and the operation of the system, is that once the boiler dump valve is open any water in, or being replaced, in the boiler will drain out.

If one wants to refill the fresh water tank which has lost water and refill the boiler, one has to close the dump valve. This can only be done in its normal operation if the temperature is >+8C. But it can be done by holding the dump valve open with a couple of clothes pegs round the shaft or a lanyard secured round the knob.

If the MH temperature is above zero or the boiler is heating there is no danger of freezing the boiler water and causing damage. The dump system is primarily there for when a MH is left unattended, not when it is occupied and warm, when there is no danger to the boiler. If you are in the MH and it is warm just overide the dump valve, as above.

Geoff

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I have been reading this thread with growing dis-belief, that we can pay 50 grand and (a lot) more for motorhomes that dump their water if the temperature drops to 4 degrees C

If I had purchased one of said motorhomes, I would reject it as not fit for purpose in the UK as temperatures have been known get that low!

Whilst I understand the physics & damage that frozen water can do, surely there must be a solution that doesn't dump all the water & require resetting valves - it is 2019......

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
If there is water in a system, not just the boiler and the temp drops sufficiently to cause freezing then any water that is present will be subject to it and will freeze. The only safe solution is to dump all the water. Obviously this wouldn't be possible if you circumvent the dump valve. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
If there is water in a system, not just the boiler and the temp drops sufficiently to cause freezing then any water that is present will be subject to it and will freeze. The only safe solution is to dump all the water. Obviously this wouldn't be possible if you circumvent the dump valve. I would rather be safe than sorry.
I am sure anyone who has had to replace a frozen boiler will agree with you, those dump valves are fitted for a good reason and I don’t have a problem when mine operates.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I can never understand why folks don’t set their thermostat to around 10 deg when they go to bed to stop any of this happening.
They spend thousands of pounds on a Motorhome but are to tight to use a bit of gas on heating.

Rude :mad:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I can never understand why folks don’t set their thermostat to around 10 deg when they go to bed to stop any of this happening.
They spend thousands of pounds on a Motorhome but are to tight to use a bit of gas on heating.

A few points here........

1. I was offering a light hearted post to let the O.P (and others) know they are not alone in experiencing this.

2. This was our first season with a 'van and we were inexperienced.

3. We don't like to be too warm at night.

4. You don't know me and yet you have the audacity to suggest I am tight.

5. Perhaps you might like to keep snied remarks to yourself!

Rant over.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
A few points here........

1. I was offering a light hearted post to let the O.P (and others) know they are not alone in experiencing this.

2. This was our first season with a 'van and we were inexperienced.

3. We don't like to be too warm at night.

4. You don't know me and yet you have the audacity to suggest I am tight.

5. Perhaps you might like to keep snied remarks to yourself!

Rant over.

He wrote 'folks' and 'they' so there was no reference to 'you'

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
My van has manual dump and pipes were frozen last year took hours to thaw them out should of drained system but didn't but wont get caught again - so wish i had auto dump

Poly Hive

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ixeo Time It 745
Exp
Over 20 years
I am talking about a Truma set up here. The dealer says that the valve is set for +3C. She gave me a document that says this clearly. However on the 2nd last page of it, there is this piece of kit.
Clipboard01.jpg
The dealer has never fitted one but is on my behalf investigating the price and so on so I will up date as matters proceed However at the moment it seems to be the answer.

Jun 9, 2016
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
None
I fitted one of those to our old van. Took twenty minutes. Fifteen of which were emptying the garage.

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
The thing to learn from this thread is fill the Kettle before you go to bed and then you'll still be able to have a brew in the morning even if you're van has dumped its lot

Stirls250

Free Member
Apr 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have the hymer s740 and it keeps dumping all the water when the hot tap goes on , any ideas

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I have the hymer s740 and it keeps dumping all the water when the hot tap goes on , any ideas
Sorry,none at all. But I am interested as when I went to fill the tank with fresh water this morning for our trip tomorrow,I discovered the dump valve was open. Sharpish frost last night but I thought it was above 4degrees by 10 o’clock. Apparently not so...takes a while for valve to warm up.
Now working ok.
Perhaps yours was still too cold.

Stirls250

Free Member
Apr 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
I'm a newbie
It's dumping out of the clear overflow pipe

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
It'll be the said frost protection valve has opened.
The boiler will have emptied and sometimes the rest of the fresh tank stays where it is until a tap is opened and it drains through the boiler.
Close the valve and it should stop.

Stirls250

Free Member
Apr 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
I'm a newbie
Also I have no idea where the dump valve is , sorry newbie

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
@Stirls250 I think you might do better by starting a new thread on here,either under Hymer or Tech/Mech. It would probably get more attention.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back