Van conversion letting sites know? (1 Viewer)

karel

Free Member
Apr 12, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
im a newbie
I have recently bought a van conversion, it has all vents, windows, sink, fridge, hob, table that drops into a bed, sockets, electric hook up and my own TV in. The point is that I get mixed answers when googling about certain sites been funny about van conversions. The van is 9 years old, but very clean and tidy with no rust and all the campervan go faster stripes, on seeing it most say they did not realises it was a conversion.

I am wanting to go Seafield Caravan park in Seahouses that looks very posh with it's own lesiure centre pool and gym etc. Would it be worth booking and mentioning it as the last thing I want to do is get there and be told no. Only been 3 places and no problems as yet apart from one asking me about the conversion on the phone before saying ok. In the future is it worth checking also?

Thanks

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi there
Based soley on your decription I would say you have no reason to inform them of anything
Why would you? What you have there is a recognisable motor home.
I think we all now why there is a percieved predudice on home conversions, ex dust carts with old doubleglazed windows spring to mind

Id say you appear to have nothing to worry about:thumb:
G

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have recently bought a van conversion, it has all vents, windows, sink, fridge, hob, table that drops into a bed, sockets, electric hook up and my own TV in. The point is that I get mixed answers when googling about certain sites been funny about van conversions. The van is 9 years old, but very clean and tidy with no rust and all the campervan go faster stripes, on seeing it most say they did not realises it was a conversion.

I am wanting to go Seafield Caravan park in Seahouses that looks very posh with it's own lesiure centre pool and gym etc. Would it be worth booking and mentioning it as the last thing I want to do is get there and be told no. Only been 3 places and no problems as yet apart from one asking me about the conversion on the phone before saying ok. In the future is it worth checking also?

Thanks

Our last van was a converted ldv van , we went all round uk in it plus France , Italy and Spain , it was old , rusty but we loved it, but to your question we never told anyone what we had got and just pulled in to most places and were never refused anywhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I would not envisage any problems, and I would not even bother to describe the van. You have a motorhome.:thumb:

By the way the site is in a super location, although expensive it is an excellent site, though I have only gone at the low season rates.......:Blush:

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
Van conversion

What does you registration document say van or motor caravan. If it still states van you can contact DVLA with photos etc and have it changed to motor caravan. You have to submit photos of interior showing sink, cooker, table and seating area etc, outside has to show at least one side window, also enclose photo showing current licence disk and VIN number. We have done this with 3 vans we have converted for our own use over many years. 2 were older vans but the most recent was purchased new. We have never had any problems on sites but if we had we would have shown the registration document to prove it was a motorhome (DVLA always class them as motor caravan) hope you have many happy holidays.

Upvote 0

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
I always described my conversion as a 'campervan'. What else could it be? Never had a problem wherever we went UK or abroad.

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I was refused entry to Setthorns in the New Forest because I had no side windows.

Motorcaravan in log book. Been there in the same van before... then they wouldn't let me in.

Well, well, well displeased.

But the OP's van has side windows so that would have been ok.

Now a Funster is the warden but not then!

JJ :Cool:

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

Thanks
worry too much about "what if's" and you wont enjoy your van. the only places you may possibly have an issue with a non recognised conversion is with snobby wardens on a caravan club site. theres way more places to go though with relaxed care free attitudes

if it looks like a builders van then most will expect it to be one. likewise if it looks like a motorhome or campervan, then nobody will bat an eyelid.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
They are all "Conversions", Just some cost more. Relax,don't go looking for trouble,if it's there,it will come up and bite your bum in many other forms:thumb:.
JUST DO IT !!
Tea Bag

Upvote 0
OP
OP
karel

karel

Free Member
Apr 12, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
im a newbie
What does you registration document say van or motor caravan. If it still states van you can contact DVLA with photos etc and have it changed to motor caravan. You have to submit photos of interior showing sink, cooker, table and seating area etc, outside has to show at least one side window, also enclose photo showing current licence disk and VIN number. We have done this with 3 vans we have converted for our own use over many years. 2 were older vans but the most recent was purchased new. We have never had any problems on sites but if we had we would have shown the registration document to prove it was a motorhome (DVLA always class them as motor caravan) hope you have many happy holidays.

It is registered as Motor home with the DVLA, thanks for all replies I will keep quiet and book and turn up :thumb:

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am fulltiming in a self build van conversion.

I don't tell site owners that I am living in it or did it myself. None of their business if you ask me.

Never been kicked off a site yet.

However if such an incident were to happen, I would park outside on the public road legally for the night while I sorted out an alternative pitch. If my van was that bad that they wanted me gone they really really wouldn't want me parked next to the entrance giving their site a bad name. I am guessing that they might change their mind at which point I would say no thanks mate I am stopping here for the week :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: FREE!!!!!

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

Thanks

I have had several officially converted vans over many years and I have never had any problems with campsites in the UK or abroad.

Perhaps if you have a van conversion that looks like something from a wreckers yard, one with your companies logo on the side, a van without windows, or one garishly painted then you may have difficulties on many of the established sites catering for the middle of the road campers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
karel

karel

Free Member
Apr 12, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
im a newbie
Here and no problems, but was funny as I'm going back to my camper a couple were walking towards me and we met around where I was parked and he said bloody hell their letting vans on here now to which I replied, "disgrace isn't it" before putting my keys in and seeing him go red and scurry off. People can be so pompous :)

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I only had a problem onece with my first van many on her know the story just turn up and enjo your holiday's:thumb:

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I visit sites for a campsite guide and I have been doing this for about 15 years. One of the questions we ask is are there any restrictions on the type of outfit accepted. Quite a few say there are limits on weight or size due to the type of site or its access roads and several say no commercial vans. I have never visited a site that accepts motorhome but refuses campervans. If you van has no windows campsites may class it as a commercial vehicle.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we were refused at one pub site near stratford because we wasnt white, this was by a stroppy barman the manager came out just as we were leaving to say he had got it wrong and we were welcome to stay i told him to stick his pitch where the sun dont shine

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I met a chap who was reviewing campsites in France for one of the guides. He was just sleeping in his car and nobody objected. (Might have depended on whether they knew he was working for a campsite guide though)

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I met a chap who was reviewing campsites in France for one of the guides. He was just sleeping in his car and nobody objected. (Might have depended on whether they knew he was working for a campsite guide though)
I wonder who emptied his cassette box when it was full and where did he keep it!!! :) :)

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Side windows have been the minimum requirement for some sites that I have heard about plus for festivals where they are trying to stop people turning up in their work van and claiming that they are camper vans.

I wouldn't mention being a conversion - it will just confuse some people.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back