Van carpet shedding white deposits and losing strength. (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Although only five years old our vans carpet near the toilet, was losing its backing. leaving a white powdery deposit and instead of being a fairly stiff carpet, was becoming soft and floppy. I searched for and found a solution.
The original latex backing had something spilt on it before I bought the van.
To replace the latex backing I bought a container of liquid latex from Amazon and a pack of cheesecloth. I poured some latex into an old ice cream container and using a 3" paintbrush, covered the back of the carpet with latex and laid a layer of cheesecloth onto the sticky surface. While it dried I put the brush into a polythene bag and put it into the freezer to stop it drying out. When dry, brush over the cheesecloth with a second layer of latex and leave to dry. Job done. I have read that when finished, talc can be applied to the finished surface.
I found that smoothing the cheesecloth down towards the whipped edges with my finger, worked quite well after the top coat had been applied and it comes off fingers easily.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Think i might just have been tempted to replace the carpet. Well done rosalan

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just had a complete set of carpets fitted to the van for £395.
Superb job, fitted on a CL in Staffordshire where we were booked in for a little break and all done in three hours.

Highly recommended.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The carpet is part of the original set, complete with press studs. The surface of the mat was perfect as were the other carpets. Someone suggested it may have been put in a washing machine damaging the original latex. The results are good and will save on a pointless chase for a factory replacement. Thank you scotzsue and others for your observations.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back