Van Bitz in the morning ? (1 Viewer)

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
If you look on youtube you will find plenty of videos of people doing destructive testing on Lithium batteries, so you can make your own judgement on how safe they are, however Lithium batteries come in different chemistries the ones being used for Motorhomes are LiFePo4 which are supposed to be the safest kind, so make sure your looking at the correct videos as other types of Lithium battery can fail in a spectacular fashion.
Fair enough and I have been looking, but it is still scary, what quality is some of this Chinese stuff and YES I have some, this is the whole point of my question to learn from what others have found out, not nonsense like I was told it was OK so it must be, well that's OK until it all goes wrong!

A bit like a van I was looking to buy and the front bed comes down 2/3rds of the way to the floor blocking the door, if there was a fire how the hell would you get the grandkids and yourself out on thick smoke crawling under to try and find the door handle, when I questioned the company they went and checked and said it had been approved, well I can tell you that I DID NOT buy it, but hey its OK until you die! Its called making your own risk assessment that YOU are comfortable with, I wasn't and I am not afraid to question things unlike some!

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Please don't confine your Lithium research to the link you just quoted. It's been tidied up since i last saw it, but it is still at best an unsubstantiated rant.
Yes Jim, I did read the original as well in my research hence the question, just good to see all sides so one can come to a decision. I love technology and gadgets but with the grandkids coming in my van I will have other responsibilities so take this seriously, AND I wasn't confining it hence my question here to explore further (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 14, 2019
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2019
I have found the B2B charger to be very good and also very helpful if you are going to add lithium.
I had the tracker installed by VanBitz and I am very happy with it as are my insurers! I get the added bonus of being told how well I am driving :)

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Yes Jim, I did read the original as well in my research hence the question, just good to see all sides so one can come to a decision. I love technology and gadgets but with the grandkids coming in my van I will have other responsibilities so take this seriously (y)
Point me to a Lifepo4 scary story please
Until your post the other day I had never heard of these batteries, just researching them now, I use this, very handy Amazon product ASIN B07DVGYDL5

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
In the same compartment ?
??no no no. Battery under driver’s seat, gas in outside locker behind driver.
730D07D9-4B96-4038-BC75-48CAF954AD93.png

OP
OP
J

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
B2B chargers sound like a great big of kit ??

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
??no no no. Battery under driver’s seat, gas in outside locker behind driver.

Hmmmmmm.......
The Electric Chair or The hot Seat.

I have done the "drill meet Lithium" test with an old 10Ah e-bike battery, you could not undo your seat belt before your backside melted if the battery went up like that battery did.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Wonder if Eddie has ordered his new Concorde yet :RollEyes:

NickandClair

Free Member
Apr 30, 2018
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
The Dark Side!!!!
Exp
Since 2001
Hmmmmmm.......
The Electric Chair or The hot Seat.

I have done the "drill meet Lithium" test with an old 10Ah e-bike battery, you could not undo your seat belt before your backside melted if the battery went up like that battery did.
I would've imagined your E Bike Battery to be an Li-cd unlike the LifePO4 used in most lithium Batteries that are available in the leisure industry, which is much safer to work with and there is evidence on the inter-web of LifePO4 cells taking gun rounds and not going up in smoke. Completely different animal and doesn't react in the same way as other types and to add the fact that good units have a BMS internally, the risk of fire is far less compared to a dead conventional battery being charged to the point of "Gassing" and being ready to pop.

It is my understanding that VanBitz did a considerable amount of research (not just on the internet) before selecting the Lithium batteries that they supply. They specifically chose E-marked batteries because they felt that they would be the best for a vehicle and safest. They have discussed their choice on this forum.

As mentioned, we did spend a considerable amount of time researching and testing ourselves (and scrutinised manufacturers in their R&D), making sure we were selecting the right product for the job including the importance of "E" marking, as every piece of documentation we've found and been supplied suggests the importance of the mark.
With good quality Li Batteries having the BMS internally, we felt that having the "E" mark was important not just through the importance of testing the unit so it conforms to this mark, but that should the VCA/DVLA and other bodies make the decision that it is required, we have not sold batteries into the market that do not carry the mark. After all most of your electronic charger/Fridge/AC and other equipment generally carry the "E" mark.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
B2B chargers sound like a great big of kit ??

Yes B2B chargers are very good things indeed, however I would not use them with lithium batteries, simply because the batteries are so damn expensive and for me, still in the research stage. I am sure in a few years there will be equally expensive, but perhaps better technology in electrical storage available.

I have had a B2B charger that has a built in solar regulator for over 3 years now and it is possibly the best thing I have fitted as I never run my battery bank under volt. When parked the solar charges and when driving I get a whopping 40 amps charging my bank in a very short time indeed.

B2B Charger... Highly recommended.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I propose that Jim starts a special conspiracy theory section as the last few weeks seems to have shown an increasing interest ;)

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
We bought from batterymega store because we couldn’t afford lithium supplied by Nick, however that didn’t stop him, nickvanbitz, from making sure that what we had installed by VanBitz was the best he could install to compliment what we had bought. Wasn’t cheap but I feel confident that he wasn’t doing a sell, but was making sure everything worked as it should, re charging, due to different charging regime , not just the lithium but the starter battery too. Would I go back, in a heart beat.

OP
OP
J

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
A HUGE THANK YOU TO NICKVANBITZ AND ALL THE LADS THAT WORKED ON MY VAN, EVEN HAPPIER THAT YOU MANAGED TO COMPLETE EVERTHING IN ONE DAY IN THE END "AMAZING". ABSOLUTELY OVER THE MOON WITH MY NEW TOYS AND THE HIGH LEVEL OF SERVICE I RECEIVED, IT WAS MONEY WELL SPENT IN MY OPINION. YOU CAN TELL IM BUZZING I JUST WROTE THIS WHOLE THING IN CAPITALS ? IF ANYONE IS IN DOUBT WHETHER TO BOOK UP WITH THESE GUYS, DONT BE, JUST GO FOR IT, YOU WONT REGRET IT. PERFECTION!!!
THANKS AGAIN....JAY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back