EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
If for example I wanted to shift on my Moho as a private sale, how the heck does one value it ?

Do you basically find similar and pitch at around that and see if you get any sniffs ?

For example. I can find the exact same model and year over at Webbs with more mileage, less spec at 43k. But, is that realistic ? after all its around 4K less than it was new !! So the dealer expects to not get ticket price ?

Is there a rough % that dealers add on and then expect to lose ?

Difficult, the error between getting it spot on and wrong could possibly be 2-5 K !!!

Last edited:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
It's a sellers market for second hand motorhomes.

If the dealer has an identical one up for £43k, then I'd be inclined to post mine around £41k.

Also depends on what you expect for it, how you present it, mileage etc.

Also look to compare on fleabay, auto trader etc, you'll then get the feel of it.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Just to say its a whole new ball game, as I saw an old van I used to own for sale at a dealers recently it was priced at more than I sold it for 10 years ago .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I would think that you would need to pitch yours at approx £5k less than the dealer, as there price will reflect a warranty cost as well as a substantial profit. However always allow yourself some 'wiggle' room as most potential purchasers will expect to knock you down on price. Having said all that if the 'extras' on your van are of a substantial cost then go for a hirer figure. Personally I think most people are put off private sales of expensive vans because of the leg work needed to ensure no HPI and proof of ownership as well as a warranty, and if you have a damp test report and a recent habitation report then this will help. This is however just my opinion.

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Another scenario then.

Pitching a van valued at say 40k privately, to a dealer, what would the dealer offer ?

They are going to want to bend you over arnt they ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
search for 'sold' listings of your model on eBay .. what they sold for, not what people hope for.
eBay is used by many professionals, including auction houses and charity shops for valuations of all sorts of goods..

also private listings on Autotrader as guide, but some have high expectations on value.

accessories may make a van more attractive to a buyer but add little to the value.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Agree, manufacturers warranty would be transferable, and didn't realise the MH was so young!! Sorry.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
In the past ,when ringing round for insurance quotes I have been asked "how much is it worth " I have never known how to answer.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Remember that dealer mark-ups on motorhomes are huge. We paid £26,000 for our previous one nearly 6 years ago. Was chuffed to get £20,500 for it as a trade-in and then fell off my chair to see it being offered for resale at £29,000!

Sep 9, 2011
Worcester
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
The same thing happened to me but you know that's what they do but it still peeed me of john

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Another scenario then.

Pitching a van valued at say 40k privately, to a dealer, what would the dealer offer ?

They are going to want to bend you over arnt they ?

Just make sure you are sitting down ready.. !!!!
You should start a sweepstake for the answer.. I will start at £28k...

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We paid 38k for our first van new, 2 years later we got 32k at trade in. They put it up for 36.5k. They do hold their value, if you are trading in you get more than selling direct to the dealer. I phoned around a few dealerships and then took the best price to the dealer I wanted.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
In the past ,when ringing round for insurance quotes I have been asked "how much is it worth " I have never known how to answer.

I have asked them what they think and have always been told 'Oh we do not know'. My response is that your Claims Department will have a very firm idea about the Market Value if they are making an offer to settle a total loss!

But I have never found a company that will quote a value. Although from posts on forums it appears that most insurers do not up the premium for a higher value. I suspect that is because for each MH they know what they would pay out whatever the owner says it is worth.

Geoff

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Market forces are such that more people are buying motorhomes and new prices increasing (more than cars I think )means when you compare a second hand to new the price difference comes in to play not the price you paid for it years ago.
Our example -purchased 4 years ago new for 52,000 new today 63,000 trade in offers so far 35,000 .Assume it will sell by the trader for 40,000 +
If I paid 52,000 for a car I would be looking at 60 % loss in value compared to the vans 30% loss

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I'd agree with @PP Bear & pitch at 41-42k. A decent ad will do wonders.

It was brand new last Aug. The warranty would be transferable, Surely?

Yes.

I have asked them what they think and have always been told 'Oh we do not know'. My response is that your Claims Department will have a very firm idea about the Market Value if they are making an offer to settle a total loss!

But I have never found a company that will quote a value. Although from posts on forums it appears that most insurers do not up the premium for a higher value. I suspect that is because for each MH they know what they would pay out whatever the owner says it is worth.

Geoff

How is it that the VW T4/5's etc ; can all get agreed value insurance ?

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Two things have happened, the pound has fallen dramatically so imported vehicles are coming in at about 20% more, and pension release means that us old fogies suddenly have the opportunity to live the dream.
(Plus it's high season for motorhome sales)

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Cheers folks.

Thinking of flogging it. Dont want to but although I can get loads of time off as I work from home and can organise flexible work schedule the wife is struggling to find suitable leave. From now until December we can get 17 days in !!
17 days in 8 months !

Maybe we should have left it a few years !! Ill have a chat with the misses, and see whats what.

Cheers again

:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back