Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Could i ask an hypothetical question.
IF i were to buy a new Burstner Elegance i.910. G. 2.2 or a similar type A class van circa £135k. Put say 25k miles on it, service as and when due, look after it properly and obviously a few extras.
What could i realistically expect to return on it after 3 years???
Ta

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Say you use it for 14 weeks per year for 3 years, 42 weeks in total away in the van.

You would be better hiring one for each of those weeks at roughly £1000 a week, £42000.

You would lose less money that way I reckon your 135k would go to 85k that’s 50k loss. Plus no insurance/overheads/accessories etc to pay on the hire van.

So from a purely financial aspect if you are thinking of only keeping it 3 years it’s a bad move.

Last edited:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
IF i were to buy a new Burstner Elegance i.910. G. 2.2 or a similar type A class van circa £135k. Put say 25k miles on it, service as and when due, look after it properly and obviously a few extras.
Ta
Ask a dealer to put their money where their mouth is
See if you can get a single Burstner dealer to give you a Guaranteed BuyBack on paper at 3 years old ( subject to SMMT return conditions) for £80k...I suggest it would be a struggle

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
On the couple of answers above. Don't want to go the hire route, been there done that.
Looks like Mo Homes depreciate similar to autos then, about 50 percent ish in 3 years.
Doubt dealers would give a buy back.
I will ask ianthebuilder how long........... He has bought hundreds of things from "Funsters" for a £1-00 a week... :wink::giggler:
You have lost me 🤔

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
You have lost me 🤔

Sorry, Bob.... Thought you knew...

There is a lovely Funster on here.. who..

Whenever a similar question comes up about selling or buying or things for sale..

Has always offered £1-00 a week irrelevant of how much the item was... (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Sorry, Bob.... Thought you knew...

There is a lovely Funster on here.. who..

Whenever a similar question comes up about selling or buying or things for sale..

Has always offered £1-00 a week irrelevant of how much the item was... (y)
Haha, being a newby and still trying to work out who is who and what connections ya'll have i hadn't heard of him. New names keep propping up...........lot of members eh.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Once you get over a 100k the depreciation appears to be higher our first van we lost 5% a year over 6 years selling privately, last van it was 3% a year over 3 years traded it.
We don't don't buy in the UK which gives us a price advantage and trading in abroad gave uk 12k more than we would have got in the UK. UK dealers like their profit, foreign shift more quantity at lower margins.

Buying in the UK you would probably be looking at least 10% loss per year.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Im not a fan and never used it on cars, but PCP ?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Ta
If you can afford to spend 135k on luxury goods surely the value in 3 years is not really important. Or am I missing something?

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Once you get over a 100k the depreciation appears to be higher our first van we lost 5% a year over 6 years selling privately, last van it was 3% a year over 3 years traded it.
We don't don't buy in the UK which gives us a price advantage and trading in abroad gave uk 12k more than we would have got in the UK. UK dealers like their profit, foreign shift more quantity at lower margins.

Buying in the UK you would probably be looking at least 10% loss per year.
Interesting. We have not decided yet which way to go, hence trying to put the whole package together.
Our Auto Trail Imala 743 was 2 years old with 4k miles on. The paperwork showed the seller paid £52.5k for it, we paid £43k. It has lot's of extras, like air suspension, upgrade weight to 3650, and other stuff.
So i am debating new, or nearly new.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
If you can afford to spend 135k on luxury goods surely the value in 3 years is not really important. Or am I missing something?
That's exactly what i am trying to work out.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Interesting. We have not decided yet which way to go, hence trying to put the whole package together.
Our Auto Trail Imala 743 was 2 years old with 4k miles on. The paperwork showed the seller paid £52.5k for it, we paid £43k. It has lot's of extras, like air suspension, upgrade weight to 3650, and other stuff.
So i am debating new, or nearly new.
If buying in the UK nearly new is probably a good option, if buying abroad new is better especially now under the new rules importing a s/h van you have to pay 20% vat on the value.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Have you used your current one much yet? Why the change?
No not used it much. Didn't get chance to test drive or sleep overnight in it. We now know the beds are unsuitable and the engine is well under powered for me. A few other things we have identified we would want/or not on the replacement van now we have tried our own. When we rented we didn't pay much attention to layout and stuff. Now we have owned for a short while we know what we now want.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Haha, being a newby and still trying to work out who is who and what connections ya'll have i hadn't heard of him. New names keep propping up...........lot of members eh.
Hi bobnick we used to live in Hartford, Cheshire. On the “wimpy“ estate, Warren Lane. Loved it there, went through it a few months ago - hasn’t half changed.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Hi bobnick we used to live in Hartford, Cheshire. On the “wimpy“ estate, Warren Lane. Loved it there, went through it a few months ago - hasn’t half changed.
In a good way, I hasten to add - trendy cafe and shops - a lot of new houses tho.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
In a good way, I hasten to add - trendy cafe and shops - a lot of new houses tho.
We have only been there for almost 3 years. Wish we had moved there years ago. Love it. We are behind The Hartford Hall Hotel, off School Lane.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back