Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Having now done several trips in motorhome I am surprised how many bits of dust, dirt, bread crumbs (especially french baguette) bits and bobs, broken glasses etc get everywhere so have decided to go for a cordless rechargeable vacuum. The Dyson appears fab, but boy what a cost, so can I get great performance without spending so much wonga of is it a case of just bite the bullet. Also have a very hairy black lab who so far has been excluded from motorhome but will be making his first journey soon with his long haired jack Russell partner in crime. Recommendations and disasters please.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Splash the cash and get a Tyson but whatever you do do not buy any 12v as waste of time
Can't remember model of our hand held Tyson but great even when we take daughters springer away in the My battery lasts for about 3 hours use and takes about 2 hrs to charge from flat

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
All my work power tools are Makita 18 volt LXT Li so the obvious solution was to buy the vac to go with it all. I carry a charger a drill a vac and two batteries at all times :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We still have an AEG old crappy thing, had it for years from our tenting days and it still works well although the battery doesn't last too long these days.

Personally I wouldn't spend too much on it unless you have other plans for it as well i.e. use at home or perhaps in the car. Ours stays permanently in the van for convenience hence I couldn't justify Dyson money for it.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We've been looking at the Dyson.. But they're nearly £300... Have seen people speak highly of some called Gt or something similar

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Throw the carpets out and use a hand brush ..

why they fit them is beyond me.. :RollEyes:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We've been looking at the Dyson.. But they're nearly £300... Have seen people speak highly of some called Gt or something similar

The Gtech Air Ram seems to get good reviews:thumb: At £200 on QVC, it's cheaper than the Dyson........John Lewis and Amazon have it, but they're dearer, but wouldn't pay that amount for the van. There's an Electrolux cordless in the Dakota wardrobe, it's not great at picking up fluff, so we usually wait till we got home and get the Miele out to it.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
I have no carpets so just use dustpan and brush or a rechargable dustbuster. :Smile:u

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I've got a handheld Electrolux Stair and Car Vac bought from Amazon for under £40 delivered.

The reviews are good. It's not rechargeable as Udo has an inverter. So it sits neatly stowed in a cupboard.

And it's very good! I'm a pedant for keeping Udo clean and have a small Harris paintbrush for getting dust out of his nooks and crannies.

The Electrolux comes with a rotating head and a crevice tool on a decently lengthy hose. All tools stored onboard.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We bought this B&D from Amazon, less than £40, low voltage mains and bagless. Loads of tools with it and works off the inverter so ok for us with no hookup.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
We have the Black and Decker "pivot" Broken Link Removed.

Seems to work well but I don't have any personal experience of using it, SWMBO is responsible for such tasks:ROFLMAO:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We thought about a Dyson, but they are stupidly expensive. We also have a yellow Lab and a Beagle, so bought one of Broken Link Removed from Argos

Its cordless and charges through our inverter when travelling. It's coped with a few weeks away in France, hoovered all the breadcrumbs, sand, dog hairs and other muck up very well.
I can recommend it

Allan

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
We've had a Dyson handheld for a few years now. It's great but its weakness was always the short battery charge.
Eventually, the battery died and was replaced with a high capacity battery from Amazon (non original part).
Now the little vac is amazing, better than new - I do wonder why Dyson never fitted these batteries in the first place....

If you're looking for a 240v vacuum, I would recommend a small Miele, the suction is incredible for all the little bits and dust that accumulate in the van. It keeps the dashboard and vents looking like new.
http://www.johnlewis.com/miele-s2111-compact-cylinder-vacuum-cleaner-grey/p231121482

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Dyson battery with animal (powered brush) use it every day a real dogs b's piece of kit and though pricy worth the money:Smile:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I've been looking for a vacuum for the van for a little while now. We use a brush/broom but a vacuum would be very handy for corners and doing the dust which accumulates on the roof vents etc.

I'm not keen on a cordless device - after all, I have decent on board 12v supply and a few 12v sockets around the van and it's all kept topped up with the solar - the bother of having a cordless which then needs constant attention to make sure it's charged seems a backward step.

But it seems that the cordless vacuum has all but taken over from the old fashioned car vac that used to plug into the lighter socket. I know most of these were rubbish, but you think there would be one, just one, model which was still available and useful. The few remaining ones I've found have been very poor build quality so I've not even taken a chance.

Still looking...
Will follow this thread with interest :Smile:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We've got one of these:

Broken Link Removed

It seems to do the job alright.
We don't have carpets though, just cushion floor.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We have a small Hyundai 240v cost £29 4 years ago and still going strong, we do clean the filter and empty it after every use.
You can use it with our without the handle, excellent little vacuum even has a belt driven brush.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

This is a new updated version.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BD3YO6E/?tag=mhf04-21

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
After lots of research I got one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BD3YO6E/?tag=mhf04-21

The price has come down since i bought it so its an even better deal. Nice and powerful. Sucks up all the black dog hairs from my great dane, and with the handle off its ideal for the steps and in the corners.

If it breaks I can buy loads more for the prices of some of the others mentioned, but it looks reasonably well made, and I am not a heavy handed sort of person so think it will do the job for a good while before needing replacement,

I know its not cordless and rechargeable but I give Thebus a good vacuum when I visit a campsite to empty tanks and take on fresh water, and if I needed to vacuum in between I could always put on the genny for a bit.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Throw the carpets out and use a hand brush ..

why they fit them is beyond me.. :RollEyes:

Agreed Jim, first thing we did was cut out all the carpet and fit lino, all we do now is brush up every morning then a wipe around with floor wipes, job done. I'm sure half the smelly vans we looked at when we were buying, were from dirty old carpets:thumb:

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Hoover

Well guys we bought the new waeco Hoover it charges either 12v or 240 it's
Fantastic reason we bought it our dyson was gettin tired the charge didn't last long.this waeco leaves it standing in every way including price.also it's wet and dry .dyson £200+ waeco £74 and a better product
Tude

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agreed Jim, first thing we did was cut out all the carpet and fit lino, all we do now is brush up every morning then a wipe around with floor wipes, job done. I'm sure half the smelly vans we looked at when we were buying, were from dirty old carpets:thumb:

they do get filthy and smell to high heaven.. especially if pets have been in the van.. I dread to think of the germs and bacteria they hoard..

... as I said, no idea why they are fitted.. I always get rid of them.. you won't find them in a lot of continental vans.. must be the Brits with cold feet.. :RollEyes:

lino is easier to keep clean, more hygienic, smells fresh, looks clean, far more practical .. all you need is a pair of comfy slippers.. :thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Fer chrisake get a life (sorry Jim !)

You're in the MH, relaxing in foreign or home climes. You have all the time in world, you worry about weight re fuel consumption and yet you favour a mechanical device over a bit of effort !

I have a mark 1 stiff hand brush to do the carpets and a soft broom for the floor when the aforementioned carpets are airing in the breeze outside !!

And you get a bit of exercise at the same time, gin and tonic a remarkable drink when admiring your handiwork !!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

p.s. brush equals 2 Euros against whatever !

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Well, it's carpets for us all the time:thumb:

If we had a dog then we would have lino, as it's more hygienic.......but we no longer have the dog and our van has to be as near to home when we're away in it. So definitely carpets, it makes the place much more cosy and homelier. I don't like the feel of lino underfoot in a van and with carpet we can sit around with bare feet and leave shoes outside:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back