Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Does everyone vaccinate their dog regardless?
Been reading on the web that a lot of people don’t bother now, seems a bit dodgy to me!

As a kid all our dogs were vaccinated and I’ve carried on with the ones I’ve owned.
This little bitch-Fudge-is apparently 2 months late for her booster and the previous owner can’t find the vaccine log so she has to start again from scratch! Previous owner has closed her acc with her Vet and they won’t release any other info, bit annoying!
Gina, my last dog, lapsed for 2 months but they said she would be ok but then I had the vaccine log and they gave her the booster then-2 months late!
The other question is I want her to have the Rabies jab too but I’m going to have to ring the vet I think & find out which one to do first!

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Always had our animals vaccinated, not sure if it's really needed but it does no harm and may save their lives.

I even had a flu jab myself this year, and it is working because I had it on on Monday and I haven't had flu since:D

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
The annual boosters can be up to 6 months late without starting again. Friends of ours who don’t like the idea of annual jabs have a titre blood test done annually. This shows the level of antibodies and whether the dog is sufficiently protected. Your vet is the best person to ask about when to get the rabies jab. The time frame for those boosters is critical. Go even one day over and you have to start again and as it is every 3 years, it is easy to overlook. In the event of a no deal Brexit, she will need to have the titre test and as a lot of dogs have failed that, I would get it done anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I always have my dogs vaccinated. They come into contact with so many other dogs here, far more than we ever did in France. I’d never forgive myself if I stopped and they caught something serious.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can't see any reason why Fudge would need to start from scratch with her 'standard' vacs at all, it just seems to be a money maker for your vet! The protections doesn't suddenly 'lapse' on the 365th day!

The rabies vac, however, is a different thing as mentioned by Potty, you cannot miss the due date/time at all, not by one minute!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We always have our dog's standard ones done annually as we take them away with us and want them to have protection from nasties they may come into contact with. We paid extra at the first lot of vacs to have them 'free' for life so it doesn't cost us anything now anyway, but if it wasn't a sensible thing to do, we wouldn't have them even though they're free.

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Unfortunately I cannot get any info on the state of her vaccinations so have to start again & seeing as we quite like a Park walk occasionally-loads of dogs-& footpaths etc I think we will have to start again!
Yes I know all about the Rabies & Titre Test. If there’s a no deal she will have to have the Rabies jab then the Titre in a certain time frame and then 4 months later she can travel!
So have been advised to wait and see what deal happens.
Why can’t they just leave it all alone-it all worked fine!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Why can’t they just leave it all alone-it all worked fine!
They have. There's no change in the way the UK Pet Passport works to allow re-entry to the UK. However we don't determine the rules applied by other countries for entry to them. The Pet Passport scheme works at the moment to allow entry to other countries because it was negotiated in conjunction with the EU. Once we aren't part of that organisation we have to abide by the rules the EU apply to any other non-EU country.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
They have. There's no change in the way the UK Pet Passport works to allow re-entry to the UK. However we don't determine the rules applied by other countries for entry to them. The Pet Passport scheme works at the moment to allow entry to other countries because it was negotiated in conjunction with the EU. Once we aren't part of that organisation we have to abide by the rules the EU apply to any other non-EU country.
It depends if we are a Part 1 or Part 2 listed country, or are able to keep the same rules as now ... I wish they'd ruddy sort it out!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
I believe the thinking (rightly or wrongly) behind not vaccinating dogs annually is that if they are living permanently in the same area and basically same peer group. they will build up their own immunity.
When I worked with hounds all puppies were Injected at eight weeks and any new animals that were drafted in received injections but not thereafter. It was believed that they made their own anti-bodies growing up surrounded by a sub clinical level of the various diseases
I would add that now my dogs receive all the necessary annual boosters.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back