Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
I'm not having it, I don't snort coke!
We'll let you be the Guineapig’s.
Some 40,000 volunteers across the world were the guinea pigs just for the first vaccine authorised in the UK.
We are the recipients of a vaccine that has actually had more clinical trial data analysed than many of the medicines given to many thousands each hour.
Many of the drugs sold now freely over the counter, such as aspirin and paracetamol used without a second thought would never be allowed to progress as far as human trials with our strict rules these days, they just have way too many adverse reactions/side effects or the therapeutic dose is too close to toxicity.

Entirely your choice if you don’t decide to take up a vaccine but ask yourself why me and so many other front line Dr’s and other health care professionals have immediately jumped at the chance for the protection all the clinical evidence shows it provides.
Maybe it’s a result of having colleagues, who were also friends, and way too many of our patients dying in front of us from a disease for which there is no cure.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Some 40,000 volunteers across the world were the guinea pigs just for the first vaccine authorised in the UK.
We are the recipients of a vaccine that has actually had more clinical trial data analysed than many of the medicines given to many thousands each hour.
Many of the drugs sold now freely over the counter, such as aspirin and paracetamol used without a second thought would never be allowed to progress as far as human trials with our strict rules these days, they just have way too many adverse reactions/side effects or the therapeutic dose is too close to toxicity.

Entirely your choice if you don’t decide to take up a vaccine but ask yourself why me and so many other front line Dr’s and other health care professionals have immediately jumped at the chance for the protection all the clinical evidence shows it provides.
Maybe it’s a result of having colleagues, who were also friends, and way too many of our patients dying in front of us from a disease for which there is no cure.
I couldn’t agree more!

Having seen the devastation over the past year, the death and suffering at work and the economic ruin of friends and local business, all of which can be solved by a vaccine.

I would never advocate forced vaccination. It is however my view that if you decline it, you shouldn’t be allowed to spread it with social interaction. There are people through no fault of their own can’t have the vaccine, they rely on enough people having it to put a protective ring round them.

Quite simply, by refusing the vaccine you are potentially killing people.

Alas my PCR test came back positive, I am certain it was caught at work as thankfully my family are negative. I know the risks in healthcare, I accept them.

What does drive me mad is people who could lessen that risk to me and others and choose not to do so for selfish reasons.

I realise this post will upset some and is one of the rare occasions I am happy to do so. Feel free to ignore button me if you don’t agree, it will save me doing likewise.

In summary, this year has been beyond awful, I have COVID currently and with dread I look toward going back to work as the third wave hits to see more tragedy. It can all be stopped by a vaccine, then people refuse to have it. This beyond upsets me.

Those saying the jab isn’t proven safe, there are 60,000+ people proving that the disease it protects against is deadly.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Looking forward to my turn.
They need more vaccinators here so my daughter applied to to told she doesn’t have the necessary skills. As a vet, she has only been doing all sorts of difficult injections for nearly 20 years!
It's not her vaccination skills I worry about, it's where she sticks the thermonitor! :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
My Dad was a vet... he could write prescriptions [and did] for humans.
Of course, the rules & regulations may have been updated.
She cannot pronounce end of human life but I don’t think can prescribe. She gets very frustrated by human medicine. We have been trying to get my husband seen this week and she says if he was a dog he would have been treated day one of illness and certainly in hospital Wednesday.
I had to resort to A&E yesterday morning, obviously leaving him at the door but with a kindly volunteer who grabbed a wheelchair for him. By 2pm he had texted me saying Dr needs an xray and CT scan. By 5am this morning he had had the x-ray and as of now is still waiting for the CT scan! Has been on 3 wards so far. At least they have made him comfortable.
Sorry a bit off thread of vaccines! Good to have a rant however sympathetic I am to the NHS.

Agatha

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
McLouis Glen
Exp
10 years
I am not a covid denier, or an anti vaxer. I have read many articles that say very clearly, they are not sure if the vaccine will stop you catching the virus or if it will stop you infecting others. Also they don't know how long the "positive effects" will last. One of my concerns is - those people who have the jab and in 5 - 6 months time are happily traveling around - how do they know they are still "safe". I was just a bit alarmed as in the first 24 hours 2 people developed side effects because they had allergies. I am thinking that for something so important shouldn't the effects on those who have such allergies have been considered before they gave them the jab??
Really just curious. Not for or against really.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I am not a covid denier, or an anti vaxer. I have read many articles that say very clearly, they are not sure if the vaccine will stop you catching the virus or if it will stop you infecting others. Also they don't know how long the "positive effects" will last. One of my concerns is - those people who have the jab and in 5 - 6 months time are happily traveling around - how do they know they are still "safe". I was just a bit alarmed as in the first 24 hours 2 people developed side effects because they had allergies. I am thinking that for something so important shouldn't the effects on those who have such allergies have been considered before they gave them the jab??
Really just curious. Not for or against really.

Hi Agatha,

Not sure which articles you have been reading, the vaccine will absolutely stop you catching it 90% of the time. If you can‘t contract the virus, you can’t spread it either so it will also help there.

Nobody is sure how long immunity lasts, but it is in years for most vaccines and this one has no reason to be any different.

As for side effects, you are right there have been reactions. Again, no more than normal, we always get a few reactions to vaccines.

The MHRA instantly changed their guidance with allergy sufferers the day the issue was raised. That gives me assurance they are listening and it’s safe.

More information can be gleaned here.

Agatha

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
McLouis Glen
Exp
10 years
Thank you for that information. I guess I ahve become cynical when I have heard so much about the PCR test being flawed. Which seemed to be backed up by the mass testing in Liverpool where a tiny percentage tested positivive using the lateral flow test.
And I know of cases where people have died, and had covid on their death certificate and they had never had symptoms at all.
And then there is the corona virus act 2020 which seems to take away most of our human rights, Seems to have become very political. I have never had much faith in the media or our government and have seen so many strange things lately. We had an outbreak near here which sent some people into a panic - but turned out no one was ill.
To say I am confused is an understatement.
Thanks again for responding

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Thank you for that information. I guess I ahve become cynical when I have heard so much about the PCR test being flawed. Which seemed to be backed up by the mass testing in Liverpool where a tiny percentage tested positivive using the lateral flow test.
And I know of cases where people have died, and had covid on their death certificate and they had never had symptoms at all.
And then there is the corona virus act 2020 which seems to take away most of our human rights, Seems to have become very political. I have never had much faith in the media or our government and have seen so many strange things lately. We had an outbreak near here which sent some people into a panic - but turned out no one was ill.
To say I am confused is an understatement.
Thanks again for responding
It is a nightmare trying to sort the real information from the false, this is particularly so in the internet and social media age. If only people were more honest like yourself saying they were confused instead of becoming entrenched in their views.

The lateral flow test certainly picked mine up, we are testing all our staff twice a week with them and have picked up a lot of cases early, into the 100’s, so they work. They were never designed to be as accurate as lab tests, the media reporting on them has been disappointing.

Hope you keep safe Agatha and avoid catching it. 👍

Apr 13, 2017
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer S
Exp
I'm a newbie
Alas as luck would have it, I developed symptoms on the day the jab started. I am hoping it’s just a normal virus but the lateral flow tests we are using gave me a positive. Just awaiting the PCR test results while feeling ill in bed.
Sorry to hear this. I trust you will be on the road to recovery soon.

Apr 13, 2017
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer S
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm not having it, I don't snort coke!
We'll let you be the Guineapig’s.
Whilst your reluctance is understandable. It is not what it is about

Being vaccinated does not just protect yourself from getting Coronavirus, it protects those around you as well. The more people that take the vaccine the less routes the virus has to spread and the more it is suppressed.

We shall probably never be free of Coronavirus but the more people that take the vaccine the sooner we all get back to a semblance of normality.

Feb 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
McLouis Steel
Exp
20 years
Too right! I ve generally had far better service from the vets. My children never got anything like the kind words that my lurcher gets. Last week Baz hurt his knee jumping over a barb wire fence on his way to despatching a bunny that couldn't get away fast enough. Describing this to the vet receptionist I got Oh poor Baz is he OK to get here, in which case we could fit him in 20 mins...... Is that OK? One can only imagine the contrast in getting to see a gp. Tell you what I'll get my vaccine when I take Baz to get him signed off!

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
A bit difficult to compare vet services to the NHS, as we pay very dearly for an excellent vets service, but the NHS is free!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
:unsure: Whatever happened to that injection system that used a high pressure air blast instead of
a hyperdeemic nerdle?
When it was launched it was hailed as a major advance.
Sounds like it would cause more bruising than an injection. I hardly felt either of the 2 trial injections I was given and will happily have 2 more when it is my turn for an approved vaccine.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It's far from free - and is inefficient & profligate.
If vets ran their businesses in the same way, they'd soon be bankrupt!
“Free at the point of delivery” was what was promised and it still is. Less than 20% of the population pay for prescriptions even.

We should count our blessings.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
“Free at the point of delivery” was what was promised and it still is. Less than 20% of the population pay for prescriptions even.

We should count our blessings.
Of course - but that wasn't the point or comparison being made with Vet charges.
It's disingenuous to say less than 20% pay for prescriptions - all taxpayers contribute, whether they use the service, have a prescription or not...

About 20% of all tax revenue is spent on healthcare...

ukgs_chart2p04.png

So free at the point of use - but only because you've already paid in advance!
Like folk think they're getting a free phone on their £30/mth contract... err no.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Of course - but that wasn't the point or comparison being made with Vet charges.
It's disingenuous to say less than 20% pay for prescriptions - all taxpayers contribute, whether they use the service, have a prescription or not...

ukgs_chart2p04.png

Like folk think they're getting a free phone on their £30/mth contract... err no.
I’ve never been called disingenuous in my life and I don’t want to be thought of in that way now thank you very much. I am not dishonest, insincere or deceitful.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020

ukgs_chart2p04.png

It would cost a hell of a lot more if it was private and many people would suffer as the poor become too scared to go to the doctors. It's shocking the cost in America because it's all private companies profiting.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
It would cost a hell of a lot more if it was private and many people would suffer as the poor become too scared to go to the doctors. It's shocking the cost in America because it's all private companies profiting.
I don't disagree, but I've spent a lot of time in North America and met a lot of people. It appears to me that the patient demands the best treatment available and if they don't receive it then they will sue!

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I don't disagree, but I've spent a lot of time in North America and met a lot of people. It appears to me that the patient demands the best treatment available and if they don't receive it then they will sue!
So have I as my step mother is American and so we have a lot of friends and family there and my parents spend winters there. They all say hang on to the NHS system for dear life. I don't doubt people in America get the best of care but they pay through the nose for it and it's very stressful getting sick if you are not wealthy. Insurance doesn't cover everything. Re your comment on suing. It's one of the things that pushes prices up and is hardly something to aspire to!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I agree with you, please tell your daughter they are all heroes. Try to ignore the hurtful comments, they are not representative. I have no intention of standing outside to clap well paid vets no matter how good they are but I would happily start clapping the NHS again.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
But pets don’t ignore the rules and meet up ignore social distancing, hold anti lockdown and anti vax protests, they don’t come into A&E drunk swear at the staff trying to help them, punch and kick if they are not seen. Straight away. To disrespect front line staff of all areas is beyond me, to criticise them is despicable

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back