Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Morning All,

Just wondered if there's anyone here who has Past or present experience of timing a large V8 Dodge.

I have a 440 to which I have just fitted a new electronic distributor.

Looking in the manual it says line up the mark on the front pulley with the timing mark "0"

Sounds fair enough to me....EXCEPT...there are 4 marks on the pulley at 90 degrees to each other...

Do I really have to pull the plug on No 1 cylinder to find TDC...?:Doh: AND THEN MARK IT.:cry:

Any Help or encouragement extremely welcome.

cyclingdoglucy

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
retired vehicle
Exp
retired 4 months
Morning All,

Just wondered if there's anyone here who has Past or present experience of timing a large V8 Dodge.

I have a 440 to which I have just fitted a new electronic distributor.

Looking in the manual it says line up the mark on the front pulley with the timing mark "0"

Sounds fair enough to me....EXCEPT...there are 4 marks on the pulley at 90 degrees to each other...

Do I really have to pull the plug on No 1 cylinder to find TDC...?:Doh: AND THEN MARK IT.:cry:

Any Help or encouragement extremely welcome.

i am no boffin & admit that i no longer do these jobs , but my memory recalls that if you are t.d.c. on firing stroke ,you are then sure sure & if "0"appears at the same time , i would say you are right , i used to put a blob of white paint on before strip down, good luck & i feel confident for you.
regards.
mr bean:winky:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Our old Dodge had the 390 (small block) and it was clearly marked. What about a timeing light, preferably the adjustable type, ie spin motor over and let it tell you are are you insalling from scratch, which sounds like plug out and rocker cover off to get the precise no.1 at TDC?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
look at rotor arm AD? and line it with #1 plug wire? ... may work.. assuming your pretty close with the dizzy location already...

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Cheers Guys....

Glad to see there are still some true enthusiasts out there.:Cool:

Yes....I do have a timing light.

I was hoping not to have to remove the cover on the left-hand bank.....but...If needs must I will do it....

Was hoping to get away next weekend with the kids ...

Always Positive...

Steve.:thumb:

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Getting some great info from our American Cousins too.....

Hope to be back on the road soon..::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back