V Strom 1000 vs Varadero 1000 (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 29692
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As much as I love it I'm debating swapping my trusty Bandit for something a bit more winter friendly/sensible and I'm have to say, with my tin hat firmly on, I really don't like the GS1200. I took a new one out a couple of weeks ago and underwhelmed is the best I can say.

If I do it it's looking like a choice between these two at the moment. What do we think? Does anyone have either one?

I won't be towing/carrying it with the motorhome so that's not an issue. I also don't want anything with a smaller engine or physically smaller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Suzuki better looking than the Honda, what about Triumph Tiger?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've got one of the last air-cooled GSs. I didn't appreciate it for about a week. The lack of dive on breaking, the very flat torque of the engine, the unnerving right lean from engine braking when you roll-off tipping into a roundabout, the fact it felt like a barge... What had I done???!?

Now I love it. I can throw it around as much as my old Versys (which is a seriously underrated bike) and it's far better for distance. I've ridden a few of the more recent WCs. They are better in every way, although the improvements have erased a bit of character. GSs are popular for a reason, not just fashion.

Africa twin? Multistrada?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've got one of the last air-cooled GSs. I didn't appreciate it for about a week. The lack of dive on breaking, the very flat torque of the engine, the unnerving right lean from engine braking when you roll-off tipping into a roundabout, the fact it felt like a barge... What had I done???!?

Now I love it. I can throw it around as much as my old Versys (which is a seriously underrated bike) and it's far better for distance. I've ridden a few of the more recent WCs. They are better in every way, although the improvements have erased a bit of character. GSs are popular for a reason, not just fashion.

Africa twin? Multistrada?

I understand the plus points of the GS and it rode fine, it was nice and agile and the one I took out was a new demonstrator so it had all the toys. I hated that bloody engine though. I can’t understand the thinking in building a highly technical top spec bike on an engine that hasn’t been updated in 50 years. That’s quite apart from it sounding like a bag of spanners and having less torque than my lawnmower.

Africa Twin - No. I won’t be buying new and even if I was I’ve heard far too many gearbox horror stories in too short a time period.

Multistrada - Possible but I know absolutely nothing about them.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
'Bag of spanners' = character (y)
(Honestly, with earplugs it's fine. On the rare occasions I ride without, I have to keep reminding myself that it's supposed to sound like that.)

I understand what you mean about the engine torque. You twist the throttle and it just feels like it makes farty noises. There's no rush at the top-end like you get from a peaky inline 4. You learn that there's plenty of power there and you learn to appreciate it.

As for 'not changing in 50 years', yes, it's still a 2 cylinder boxer. But it's now cam-chain, water cooled, multi-valved, fly-by-wire injected. So just as 'not changing' as pretty much all engines then.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I also don't want anything with a smaller engine or physically smaller.

But !!

The Vstrom 650 is the same size as the 1000 and it's a peach of an engine. Mine topped out at 115 mph on The Ring but would cruise all day at 100 if I wanted to. Handled surprisingly well and arm chair comfort. But it was too top heavy for me, it always worried me below 20 mph.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I do like this:

Well apart from the overlarge luggage. :)

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
I've had three GS's in my time. Excellent bikes for long distance touring which is my particular passion. I've now got a Crosstourer DCT which is fabulous. I love it! ....but it's not for everyone. (See what the Journos say about it :)(). The point that I'm clumsily making is that you have to go & ride several bikes that meet your brief. Not for 20 mins but several hours if you can & don't rely upon what others tell you. Make your own mind up. Compare & contrast. All part of the fun (y)

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Not had a GS but did have a 1200RT. Same engine.
When I first rode one I hated the engine. After using one for a week I loved it and bought one.

As for saying the engine’s not changed for decades. Do you really believe that? That’s like saying four cylinder in-line petrol engines are the same now as they were 50 years ago.

But if it’s not for you, don’t buy one.
I’ve also had a Varadero 1000. Now that really is a dated, boring bike. Crackin’ engine though.

Jun 25, 2016
Ynys Môn, UK
Funster No
MH
2016 Benimar 243
Exp
Since 2016
D63B569F-344C-45B3-BD7C-0B7FA915C2E3.jpeg
I’ve got a vstrom, great bike, when I got it I wanted new and varadero was discontinued and a gs too dear, but coming from a transalp it is just superb, been to Italy twice on it.

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
Y193iF
View attachment 196101 I’ve got a vstrom, great bike, when I got it I wanted new and varadero was discontinued and a gs too dear, but coming from a transalp it is just superb, been to Italy twice on it.

Great pic! Good to hear from another sufferer of Alpinitis!
01043cd0afa4657a38def257367913fb720a055f65.jpg

My VFR in the Pyrenees earlier this year. Off to Italy in 2018. Can't wait!

Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
we have a 650 vstrom good bike wend to le mans moto gp this year loaded went very well

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Resurrecting an old thread but it saves starting a new one.

I still haven't done anything about this and ended up using my Bandit all winter which was fine.

I've been looking at the Versys 1000 as another option. Anyone have any opinions either way?

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I had the big beems until they got too heavy for me and tried a Honda Deauville (650) low torque/economical/good engine breaking/low seat height/weather protection -one of the most under rated bikes I have had in my 50 yrs of biking.

Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
If a v strome 650 2015 with full luggage and 4000miles of any help please contact

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back