Using your own wormer returning to UK (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Following on from an interesting post from a funster regarding worming dogs on their return to the UK.

Is it permissible to use your own wormer when you visit the vet prior to returning to the UK?

We have real problems with giving tablets to our dog in that he spits tablets out. We use Advocate wormer when at home in the UK which administered to the base of the neck. Can we take the Advocate to the French vet and just ask him to witness us giving the wormer and sign the passport to this effect?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You can ask......... but they're under no obligation. However a lot of Funsters have used their own tablets and I suppose as long as the vet is happy with them there ought to be no problem.

We carry a spare worming tablet - we're one ahead of our vets programme - but up to now have used the vets own selection.

Oh yes, our mutt is an artist when it comes to not taking tablets - we wrap them in a slice of whatever cooked meat we had with our lunch.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The vet i went to used an injection.
Much easier and no after effects for the dog.
I think the advocate and the worming tablet are for two different things.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
You can certainly give your own tablets in the presence of the vet. We have taken our own Drontal and given it to our dog on several occasions.
So long as Advocate is an appropriate product, I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem. I think most vets use Drontal, although I would guess that there are other products. I don't know whether the fact that you're using the drops rather than a tablet would make any difference. Maybe your own vet could advise you on this and on the appropriateness of the product.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Agree with @TerryL re the injection. We've been asked by vets whether we want them to give the injection. This is probably your solution.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We always take our own tablets, Milbemax, which our dogs take quite readily in front of the vet. They taste like a meaty treat.....apparently.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The vet i went to used an injection.
Much easier and no after effects for the dog.
I think the advocate and the worming tablet are for two different things.

I think Advocate would cover all the worm control. This is what it covers...

Advocate Spot On for Large Dogs is a treatment for fleas and their larvae, roundworm, hookworm, heartworm and ear mites in dogs.

I think I'll take the Advocate and if the vet doesn't want us to use it I'll ask for the injection.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Just realised it doesn't mention tapeworm. Is there a tapeworm treatment which can be applied to the dog's skin I wonder?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The Pepper Monster is really good at hiding tablets and spits later but we've always had the vets injection. Costs a bit more but we know it's done properly then.

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
It is tapeworm that you have to worm for. Drontal leaflet says "Drontal contains praziquantel, the only tapeworm treatment ingredient allowed for the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) certification."

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
My vet said 'When you book the vet, tell them you have your own meds. If they argue against using and they overcharge for their own, then find another vet."

Injections or tablets swallowed - I think the job is properly done either way.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I have had a couple of vets in France insisting on using their tablets even though I had some with me and were the same brand Extra few euros on the bill !!

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
I have had a couple of vets in France insisting on using their tablets even though I had some with me and were the same brand Extra few euros on the bill !!
Exactly. That's why my vet said ask when you book. They treat the Pet Passport completion for returners like shooting fish in a barrel.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
It is tapeworm that you have to worm for. Drontal leaflet says "Drontal contains praziquantel, the only tapeworm treatment ingredient allowed for the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) certification."
It's a specific type of worm you have to treat the dog for. @Southdowners be very careful what you give/ask the vet to give, it MUST MUST MUST contain praziquantel, and full details must be entered on the passport, otherwise you stand a very real risk of being refused travel at the ferry/tunnel. AFAIK, and I don't profess to be certain, only Drontal or Milbemax satisfy the Pet Travel Scheme UK requirements.

Malcolm

edit I forgot to add that I've always showed the vet the tablets in the original packaging, so that the details and batch no. are clearly shown. I don't know but I would be suprised if loose tablets would be acceptable.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
German vets seem to charge much less than their French counterparts.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Vets will only give the appropriate treatment, so if you take something which is incorrect, they will not administer it.
Advocate or anything else you put on the dogs neck is not tapeworm treatment and will not be suitable.
Our dogs refuse to take the worm tablets at the vets, so there were 3 choices available us. All 3 worked.
1. vets are pretty experienced in administering tablets to animals, leave them to it.
2 . Hide the tablet in a cheese triangle. We use La Vache Qui rit (laughing cow) our Labrador who ate anything she could find and could root through dustbins finding tasty morsels, refused to eat tablets wrapped or hidden in anything till we found the above.
C. Last week, our vet wrapped the tablet in a soft meaty type dog treat. Our dog ate this and had no idea there was a tablet hidden.

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Advocate does NOT cover tape worms, the vet will not accept it. The one we use will accept tablets, but they must cover tape worms. They also need to be a recognised, by them, product. So no cheap pound shop stuff. Our dog is on advocate but we have to use frontal every three months as advocate does not cover everything, in fact doesn't cover much other than the vital lung worm and heart worm, which is what it is aimed at.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Advocate does NOT cover tape worms, the vet will not accept it. The one we use will accept tablets, but they must cover tape worms. They also need to be a recognised, by them, product. So no cheap pound shop stuff. Our dog is on advocate but we have to use frontal every three months as advocate does not cover everything, in fact doesn't cover much other than the vital lung worm and heart worm, which is what it is aimed at.

I'm not looking to cut costs by using inferior products. I just need to find something my dog will take. We've tried tablets wrapped in all sorts of delicacies but he just spits them out. Our UK vet has always suggested Advocate which covers fleas and their larvae, roundworm, hookworm, heartworm and ear mites. Unfortunately not tapeworm.

I will get some Drontal tablets and see if they're more palatable - if not, I think it's going to have to be injectables.

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Only ever used cestem or drontal both contain prazaquantal. Never ever been refused using our own stuff in france or Germany.

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
It's simple. Open your dogs jaw, put the tablet at the back of his throat and close his jaw until he swallows. I have to do this everytime with my lab x. He doesn't like any tablet and will find it in any foodstuff and spit it out. He's had tablets for various things and its the only way to get the down his neck. The other dog eats tablets like sweets.

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
If dog is spitting them out .they are not being placed far enough into the throat. Our last dog was big and didn't like the tablets but could get the tablets down in one quick action.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
1. vets are pretty experienced in administering tablets to animals, leave them to it.
2 . Hide the tablet in a cheese triangle. We use La Vache Qui rit (laughing cow) our Labrador who ate anything she could find and could root through dustbins finding tasty morsels, refused to eat tablets wrapped or hidden in anything till we found the above.
C. Last week, our vet wrapped the tablet in a soft meaty type dog treat. Our dog ate this and had no idea there was a tablet hidden.

1. Our dog is really difficult - the vets give up and we're left to it!

2. Even wrapped in strong cheese, chorizo and/or any other scrumptious disguise he will spit it out. He somehow knows it's there even if I ensure there's absolutely no trace of the tablet on the outside... somehow he knows!

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
That's why you have to use the 'poke it down his throat' method described above.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Back of the throat works well but also to one side as you can get your fingers out of the way quicker!

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
It's simple. Open your dogs jaw, put the tablet at the back of his throat and close his jaw until he swallows. I have to do this everytime with my lab x. He doesn't like any tablet and will find it in any foodstuff and spit it out. He's had tablets for various things and its the only way to get the down his neck. The other dog eats tablets like sweets.

I know it sounds like I'm making excuses but it really isn't that easy with our dog.

I'm well versed in the art of getting drugs into animals. For years ran a livery yard and regularly wormed more than 20 horses as well as giving them other unpalatable treatments. I'm very good at getting round even a 17hh+ horse dancing around on the end of the leadrope. I'm quick and usually find a way to work with the animal to achieve a good result. I also owned sheep, cats and chickens and did the necessary with them -- no problem. Our dog, however, is something else!

Oct 14, 2011
Chichester,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Wildax Hi Top
Exp
Since 2002
I buy Drontal on line for Daisy.She always managed to spit out the tablet even when wrapped in a titbit.We go to France 4 times a year,just the two of us now.She has filled one passport and now on the 2nd.

I plan where I go so that I can return via the vet practice in La Mailleraye sur Seine.They are just a stroll up the hill from the Aire alongside the Seine where there is also an excellent restaurant.
They allow me to take my own Drontal and a teaspoon,for the crushing of,and some salmon pâte or similar.A bit messy but it works.

I usually email for an appointment and then ring if there is a change of plan.I also have the annual injections done there at a fraction of the cost of my local vet.

They are also the most reasonable priced vet you will find at €15 if you take your own tablet.

Years ago we were charged €80 when we were forced to accept the injection !

Helen

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
We have always taken our own tablets (at various times we have had Drontal, Milbemax and more recently Milpro - depending on which ones our vet has in stock) and vets in Europe have generally been happy to use ours. As stated earlier - the UK entry requirements insist on preparations containing praziquantel or equivalent. Taken from the .gov website -

"The treatment must:
  • be approved for use in the country it’s being given in
  • contain praziquantel or an equivalent proven to be effective against the Echinococcus multilocularis tapeworm"
Our dogs are pretty good and usually take the chewable ones easily but if all else fails cheese is the killer option! However, I have also noticed that french vets take no prisoners ........

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
[QUOTE="OwnedbyCollies, post: 2681064, member However, I have also noticed that french vets take no prisoners ........[/QUOTE]

We must find tougher vets!! :D

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
We use Milbemax, we carry it with us and is accepted at vets in Germany, Italy and France and at the border on return to UK. It is also the worm and tick treatment we use in UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back