Using the van in the U.K. for New Year (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have a spot I go to for 2 weeks over the festive season. It is fantastic because it is only a 15 minute walk into town, but the pitch is totally isolated and on the side of a hill. I get a view of all the fireworks from across the nearby towns and villages for many miles.

I have been doing this for over 12 years and except for last year have gone every year.

Some great pubs/restaurants to visit as well.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We are hoping to be in ether Portugal or Spain the last time we went to spain was back in 2000 in a van
We set off and got delayed owing to a brake down We spent Christmas day in a services christmas diner was a a salami ham and tomato budget we had copious amounts of wine beer and fags.
There was another coppel who had got lost and ended up stuck on the same services we had one of the best Christmas days we could remember in the van
we ended up with a few other folks around and in the van we set off the next atforenoon and spent a thre days in the roses in then near to Barcelona before heeding down to Benidorm for the new year to be honest think we should have remained in Barcelona i did meet soum-one on the way back and ther opinion was Barcelona for the new year
so with luck that whare were off but Portugal keeps coming up in conversations so we don't know but we have frome the 14th of December to 9th of January
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We have been away at New Year and really enjoyed it except for fireworks from nearby parties...

Nothing against them but we always have the dog with us and he is petrified of them

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I am hoping to pursuade my wife to go away for a few nights over the Christmas and New Year period. The only time we have done this was about 25 years ago, in our caravanning days, when we went to the Wild Rose site near Appleby-in-Westmorland. I soon realised the advantages of Propane gas because our Butane bottle froze solid on our first night! SWMBO was not best pleased.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
weve gone away for new year with motorhome fun twice to uttoxeter and once to shrewsbury and also to suffolk
i belive shrewsbury is on again this year check the rally page

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have booked Bristol campsite for new year. Never been away in the van for new year and it won't be popular with the 17 year old though! She will enjoy it once she s there :)

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
We go away every year (last 7yrs) for New Year with our friends, usually Lady Margrate nr chirk CC also been to Carsington Water as well
This year going to a new lovely site nr Lancaster we found recently which was cheap, hardstanding, lovely walks for the dog, close to a cycle path/walk, and the Estuary.
Brand new shower block with underfloor heating so no more cold showers
Always spend Christmas at home with family

whats the name of the site, i'll ring them and ask if they can take our 10m rv. may try it next weekend

Last edited:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
We have also been looking for a few days from 26/12 and possibly over new year. Surprisingly cannot find any rallies on eithet.
Do any sites put anything on or is it just DIY.
And were is Moffat, what sites are there?
Steve
Moffat a small town just off the M74 15 miles north of Locherbie and around 60 miles south of Glasgow.
It has many hotels ( at least 5 ) chip shops/take aways and cafes. There are plenty of walks a golf course a garden centre and fishing lakes ( probably closed at Christmas)
There is a C&CC site open all year and a CL that takes non members ( we're here now ) also open all year..

Some of the hotels put on newyear celebrations, you might have to book in advance. Moffat sites are within walking distance to the town but i'm pretty sure the C&Cclub site won't be cheap.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
whats the name of the site, i'll ring them and ask if they can take our 10m rv. may try it next weekend
Ashton Hall it's on pictchup.com, if you struggle to find let me know I will root out the phone number for you
Don't tell anyone don't want it booked up for new year;)

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
Ashton Hall it's on pictchup.com, if you struggle to find let me know I will root out the phone number for you
Don't tell anyone don't want it booked up for new year;)

will have to go in november, got too much work this month.
thanks for the info, plenty big enough, may see you at new year, ill owe you a drink(y)(y)

Moonchild

Free Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We did Blackpool and Southport over Christmas and New Year and are going to Foyers on Loch Ness this year. Hopefully we will get snowed in for a week or two. ;):D

Might see you at Foyers. We were there last year too.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
Lomond Woods at Balloch over new year for us and the dogs, same as last year.

Moonchild

Free Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Lomond Woods is handy for pubs etc. We'll probably have a night in Glencoe, then Foyers for two nights.

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We joined the MCC Essex Group recently.Been to a few of their school playground winter weekend meets .Very friendly bunch who like a party.Going to their New Years meet ,should be FUN .

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We're away after the day itself and new year
I wanted to be away for Xmas day but we can't due to family.......
Love the festering season me......

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
I'll stay on a CL, different ones, one 19-27 and then 27-3. Refuse to pay campsite charges, they are ridiculous for the 'festive' season. But then, I'm well baa humbug and love getting away from it all.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
We’ve stayed at the Southport C&MC site for Christmas in the past and managed to prepare a proper Xmas lunch between the 2 vans and loved it. Have also stayed at the C&CC site, Windermere ( but it isn’t at Windermere!) for new year and that was fantastic as there’s is a pub on site so no transport issues. Can’t get away this new year unfortunately due to a wedding on the 31st, but fully intend to next new year.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We enjoy our New Years away we have been away for the past 10 years usually on a Fun Rally always have a good time or used it to take advantage of quiet roads and start our journey through France to Spain to find some sun.

River gypsys

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
Ely
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
spain here we come....... the forecast for blighty in december January February march..........COLD COLD COLD and COLD..... spain on the other hand 15 degrees at the worst and going up .......NO BRAINER

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
We normally go away with friends over new year and have done so for several years to various locations. We usually try to have at least one theme night and have had some great Murder Mystery Nights (buy the tin from WH Smiths or on line), however, our best time was 'Come Dine With Me' where all four couples took it in turn to create one 3 course meal, we set up a Gazebo for the dining area (along with heating and hostess trolley), great fun and you only had to sort out one evening meal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back