Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Now this is going to seem real stupid, but no changes there.

Gearing up for our first trip tomorrow and I'm a bit confuddled.

I (believe) I have a thetford c-200 judging by the manual (I have a Rapido 9010DF). 2 main questions, I have read on other threads about filling the flush water tank. Do I have one??? I assumed that water would be drawn from the main water tank. Secondly, do I need to put anything in the cassette before use? I was planning on good old plain water and washing up liquid when it is getting used.

As a supplementary question - toilet paper, cheap one ply stuff, or can anything be used? I'm not actually planning to use the toilet but the kids and missus will.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Do as the Continental's do and put paper in a bin (or a sealed poly bag ), don' t flush but spray the bowl with water plus pink stuff or, as we do, a dollop of disinfectant) and make use of every cafe you come across. That extends the life of your cassette quite a lot.
I was under the impression that if you use disinfectant you shouldn't use a chemical disposal point as it's not biological

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Putting the paper in a bin isn't going to make the cassette last longer. The volume of the paper is negligible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I was under the impression that if you use disinfectant you shouldn't use a chemical disposal point as it's not biological

I think that's only if the emptying point goes to a septic tank. You shouldn't use blue chemical either if it does.

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No

I don' t think a tablespoonful in a spray bottle of water, used to give a quick squirt round the bowl is going to make any difference at all.

What it might do, in higher concentrations, is inactivate the enzymes in biological laundry liquid if that is what you use.

As to look roll and volume... I can only speak from experience: we find it does help to make the cassette last longer between emptyings.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
ok, 6 years of fulltiming means I have been through pretty much all the problems :eek: and tried pretty much everything. I never use site toilets etc.

I get asked questions about toilets a few times a year usually very sheepishly by people new to our hobby.

Here goes...

I don't use any chemicals. I put a little water in the bottom of bowl, make deposit, close lid and open and close slider fairly quickly. I get very little if any smell in the van. Before driving off I will either move the cassette out of its housing by about 1 or 2 inches Or I will put 1 or 2" of water in the bottom of the bowl. This prevents smells getting back into the van when you can't empty the cassette before moving off. I have tried the SOG and they are very good but to be honest they only really help if you are an open the flap and aim for the hole type person.

Toilet paper, I used classic Andrex. Never noticed any left intact when emptying.

Pressing the yellow button is essential. However press it before tipping the cassette over can end up with a little bit coming out the yellow button area making those less hardened individuals squawk. Tip first then press button.

Polishing the bowl does help, I use Peek compound which I mentioned on here before.

Other tips are. When emptying the cassette. Unscrew the lid and put it on the floor or at ground level well away from the hole where you are emptying it. They do have a tendency to disappear down said hole.

When you close the slider you should feel a final click as it goes into place. If this starts to get a bit stiff. Get it serviced asap. You will end up putting strain on the connecting rod and it will eventually snap. This happened to me and it is sods law it will always happen right after you have made a deposit. I now use Citric Acid to clean the mechanism once every 6 months.

If you are the gippy type stick at it, you will get used to it and after a bit you won't even need to block your nose anymore.

Final tip. If you need to make a cassette last longer than normal and your toilet is anywhere near your shower. Use the shower head to flush instead of the built in flush. It gives a stronger jet which you can direct quicker and uses less water. I can add an extra day to my cassette doing this.

On this subject there are as many views, techniques and recommendations as their are bottoms. So try things out some will work for you some won't. I think perhaps a lot will depend on your diet and alcohol consumption :p:whistle::LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry Grommett but using a shower head will use a lot more water than pressing a button! Also, has anyone else fitted a seatbelt so the OH can use it safely whilst travelling?

Joe

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Also, has anyone else fitted a seatbelt so the OH can use it safely whilst travelling?

Joe

No need Joe! It can be done...but beware of the free- swinging loo door knocking you flying as you arrange to sit down....

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry Grommett but using a shower head will use a lot more water than pressing a button!

Joe

Not in my van it doesn't tested to the nth degree. My shower head gives a good solid jet. Whereas the toilet flush is a lethargic wheeze. Literally half a second of the shower head is all that's needed in my van whereas 3-5 seconds with the flush and even then sometimes need to go back for a second go for that stubborn bit of bog roll.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back