Using the left-over bit of LED strip light (1 Viewer)

Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
Semi-newbie to motorhomes
Hello

stripp.png

Ive just installed a short strip of this.
You can just cut off the excess length you dont need and the lights still work.
Now that ive got a load of left over length, can i still use this? if so , how?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hello

View attachment 401747

Ive just installed a short strip of this.
You can just cut off the excess length you dont need and the lights still work.
Now that ive got a load of left over length, can i still use this? if so , how?
If it is the256 colour variety (4 wire end connection) you'll need another connector / controller.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TobyQuest
Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
OP
OP
TobyQuest
Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
the 2nd one is pretty good. getting closer. It looks like more hassle than its worth and given the price i think ill just give it a miss but for the next person they might find this youtube vid useful on the topic

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Does this come in different watts ? I got some off ebay and it's not very bright whereas some I was given is much brighter ?
The basic number to look at is the lumens per metre. This gives the actual light output. Maybe the numbers won't mean much to you, but lumens is the only reliable way to tell the light brightness. Wattage is so outdated because it varies so much. Having said that, for LED strips, wattage per metre is a good guide to the brightness per metre.

They achieve the brighness per metre by the type and size of the LEDs themselves, and the number of LEDs per metre. They also usually tell you the watts per metre.

This is a good site for all the different types, and the connectors, remote controls etc. There are weatherproof versions, and metal channels to put them in if you want.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Does this come in different watts ? I got some off ebay and it's not very bright whereas some I was given is much brighter ?
The bright ones use A LOT of power. I searched the net for some bright ones for under the kitchen cabinets, they are nice and bright but use 2 amps per metre, and get hot. That is just as much as the mini flourscents they replaced. šŸ™„

OP
OP
TobyQuest
Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
Ive found with some LED lights whether they get hot or not depends.
For the same LED strip lights plugged into my solar generator use 2watts and never get hot and very bright. When run off my leisure system, use 12w, get hot and the same brightness.

For those RGB ones off ebay, the brightness gets less if the length of wire to the battery increases and also depends on how thin that wire is. When I plugged in a USB extension cable i noticed they were significantly less bright

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Ive found with some LED lights whether they get hot or not depends.
For the same LED strip lights plugged into my solar generator use 2watts and never get hot and very bright. When run off my leisure system, use 12w, get hot and the same brightness.

For those RGB ones off ebay, the brightness gets less if the length of wire to the battery increases and also depends on how thin that wire is. When I plugged in a USB extension cable i noticed they were significantly less bright
Yes a small rise in voltage and the current can go through the roof. Your leisure battery system might well be 13.5v.
Our kitchen cabinets would probably start a fire at that voltage šŸ¤”

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back