Using Santander/bilbao Ferry To Access South Of France (1 Viewer)

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Have just used Santander ferry to access the North Of Spain , now considering using similar crossing to access South West of France .
We have a 8M van so want a fast /easy / safe route over / around the Pyrenees, is this feasible ?
P.s toll roads are not a problem
Thanx in advance !

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
IF you land in France, then just about your ONLY route (without going back into North West Spain) is over the Pyrenees N1-A8-A15 to Pamplona?. The older N121 is/was usable 2003. And may even have been "improved" (with help from my Taxes!!) But ill advised winter time!. Other routes take you (back) further west. Largely dependant on your ultimate destination in Spain, Really.

Pete

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Have you looked at Portsmouth to St Marlo ?, may be a better option.

Eric

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
IF you land in France, then just about your ONLY route (without going back into North West Spain) is over the Pyrenees N1-A8-A15 to Pamplona?. The older N121 is/was usable 2003. And may even have been "improved" (with help from my Taxes!!) But ill advised winter time!. Other routes take you (back) further west. Largely dependant on your ultimate destination in Spain, Really.

Pete

Have you read my message ? :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just follow the coast back to france . its a nice interesting road . avoid the main routes apart from bilbao . thats best on main road to get through. .

Reactions: DBK

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I would go via Calais, cheaper and possibly not much slower.

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
just follow the coast back to france . its a nice interesting road . avoid the main routes apart from bilbao . thats best on main road to get through. .

Time is of the essence for the near future so pootling along the coast is not an option .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
then just use the motorway. thats an easy route. straight out the port turn left and keep going .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Mattyjwr,

Do people actually read the original posts on here ? :) :) :)
I think folk were thrown by your question! Open a big map or atlas and look at the ground. The route using your criteria should jump out of the map. Drive east along the coast then depending where you want to go head for Toulouse and perhaps Montpellier. Easy.

You could of course take a more interesting route through the Pyrenees but it would take longer.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Mattyjwr - you say South West France, Hendaye, St Jean De Luz, Bairitz etc that is only 80 miles from Bilbao! If you really mean South East France ( Mediteraenan coast) then from Bilbao take E70 to Bayonne then A64 to Toulouse then A61 to Narbonne (about 360 miles) - the whole Med coast is the in front of you (we have done this several times) From St Malo to Narbonne is 570 miles but the ferry crossing is much cheaper :)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Mattyjwr - you say South West France, Hendaye, St Jean De Luz, Bairitz etc that is only 80 miles from Bilbao! If you really mean South East France ( Mediteraenan coast) then from Bilbao take E70 to Bayonne then A64 to Toulouse then A61 to Narbonne (about 360 miles) - the whole Med coast is the in front of you (we have done this several times) From St Malo to Narbonne is 570 miles but the ferry crossing is much cheaper :)

Hi @Teuchter , it wasn't me who was looking for the route, I just made a suggestion as it appeared that a safe, easy and fast route was wanted. As @DBK commented, the route from Santander to SW France (I'm presuming some where like Bordeaux) is so obvious from a map, I assumed that it had been rejected, hence the question being asked and my suggestion being given. I guess from the responses given, the OP has their own reasons for wanting to spend two or three times as long getting there and paying much more for the privilege; maybe the extra 4 hours of driving time is more of an issue than travel time and money. Maybe the cruise is part of the holiday? What ever the reason, turning left out of the port and following the road East until France and then heading North should be easy enough for them :)

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Thanks for all your replies people !
We like the idea of a leisurely boat trip and then a " moderate " drive to South Western France ( ? Carcassone)
Thanks again !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back