Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Is this something new or has it always done it??

The Sprinters we had used oil on a fairly regular basis so i dont think its anything to worry about.......id be more worried about the engine management (read management as "cock up"!!) system playing up....thats why i dont have a Sprinter any more :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I don't know much about the sprinter, but if a fiat was using that much oil it would get 130 threads and 60000 replies saying don't buy one.

Personally if I had a vechile (modern) that was using that much oil I would think there is a problem somewhere. Neither my motorhome or our two cars use any oil between services. The intervals on my diesel car are 9k and on our petrol car is 12k On the MH I drop the oil at least every 5k.
:Confused:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Link Removed, generally speaking engines that use oil never wear out.
Mainly because they get regular oil changes.

That said, if you've got a turbo, you may be losing oil through the turbo bearing oil seals into the engine.
Best to check the inside of the high pressure air hose from the turbo to the inlet manifold.
If it's very oil inside, you may well have a leak.

Dicky turbos need sorting PDQ.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
My Sprinter 306 uses a half litre of oil every 3000kms. The engine has done 55 000 kms.
This seems to me to be rather a lot.
I notice that this is rather an OLD thread, however, my sprinter 316 cdi uses about the same amount, but apparently that's about the norm for a sprinter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My Rapido on a Sprinter uses no oil between services so I would suspect something amiss, especially if it's only recently started doing it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back