Using Levelling Ramps on Your Own (1 Viewer)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Is it a Euro 6?
I think it's only the Euro 6 Comformatics that do it.
That's a possibility, and I did wonder when you said yours was 2017.

Ours is a, so called, Euro 5+ (presumably just 'Euro 5' to everybody apart from the Fiat marketing department ;) ), rather than Euro 6.

Reactions: DBK

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's a possibility, and I did wonder when you said yours was 2017.

Ours is a, so called, Euro 5+ (presumably just 'Euro 5' to everybody apart from the Fiat marketing department ;) ), rather than Euro 6.
My last van was Euro 5+ that didn't do it.
1st time I came across it on this van I thought the gearbox had gone wrong it had only done 2 miles. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I'm beginning to wonder if it's easier to pitch a tent than park a MH

You canā€™t level them, either!

I donā€™t understand why there isnā€™t some sort of manual built in levelling system. People do it all the time with caravans. Motorhomes must have existing jacking points, and jacks are not exactly new or expensive technology. I know itā€™s moatly couples, but itā€™s a royal pita to do in your own, especially if you donā€™t have the ā€˜feelā€™ of it from doing it many times before with guidance.

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I did see someone with a very slender pole with a small flag on top that was placed six inches from the front bumper. Stop when the flag moves.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
My last van was Euro 5+ that didn't do it.
1st time I came across it on this van I thought the gearbox had gone wrong it had only done 2 miles. ?

Euro 5+. so it sounds like you have hit the nail on the head with it being Euro 6 vans onwards.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
You canā€™t level them, either!

I donā€™t understand why there isnā€™t some sort of manual built in levelling system. People do it all the time with caravans. Motorhomes must have existing jacking points, and jacks are not exactly new or expensive technology. I know itā€™s moatly couples, but itā€™s a royal pita to do in your own, especially if you donā€™t have the ā€˜feelā€™ of it from doing it many times before with guidance.

I wonder if it's easy to weld up a couple of steel pipe sections to make an adapter: to allow a standard Ā£15 lidl bottle jack (etc.) to slot safely into the jacking points.

Then one would just put a jack under the 1 or 2 lowest jacking points and securely pump them up a bit to make it all level. The rigid connection to earth would stop swaying in the wind etc. and if a jack were to fail and sink overnight it wouldn't ever matter.

One could then throw away the scissor jack so the weight added would be minimal. And put a reminder on the steering wheel..

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Euro 5+. so it sounds like you have hit the nail on the head with it being Euro 6 vans onwards.
Just this very minute checked mine. 2018 X290 Euro 6, reversed with the door open no problem. (y)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
You can indeed just stop and park. :) Reading the ground and using any available humps and bumps is an essential skill and if we can avoid using ramps we will. We can sleep either way round in our van so if we are nose up or down then we just adjust accordingly. :)
This calls for a little 'out of the box thinking'. Everyone is using ramps to get the low wheel higher. Why not dig holes under the high wheels to make them lower ..... sorted:D

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
A bit of practice and you will get used to it after the first couple of times, don't use a sledgehammer to crack a nut, does it really have to be perfectly level anyway? No.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I am often parking up on my own, if I need to level the motorhome with a ramp under the near side wheels I just position the ramp, leaving the driving door open I mark a spot on the ground which is the same length as the ramp, I drive towards the marked spot but never past it and presto there you are.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
[QUOTE

Of course there is a "not bothering to level" school of thought but sinks and showers not draining can be an annoyance and if we are heavily nose down the sliding door on our PVC can be a struggle to open - but on the plus side it does close itself very easily. :)

Any other options Funsters can suggest for solo levellers?
[/QUOTE]

Yes - do without them. I'm in that school. I don't want to find the room for them. I have been camper vanning for 11 years without using levellers and it's done me no harm. If there is a slight slope we opt for nose up so we are sleeping at the right angle. We avoid steep slopes and mountainsides.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just this very minute checked mine. 2018 X290 Euro 6, reversed with the door open no problem. (y)
It's not supposed to, quote from the manual:-

Also if you start it in gear it should automatically select neutral.

I wondering when your chassis was built, you can check on the Fiat C of C.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You can indeed just stop and park. :) Reading the ground and using any available humps and bumps is an essential skill and if we can avoid using ramps we will. We can sleep either way round in our van so if we are nose up or down then we just adjust accordingly. :)
I can't breathe nose down :D .

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
It's not supposed to, quote from the manual:-

View attachment 311304
Also if you start it in gear it should automatically select neutral.

I wondering when your chassis was built, you can check on the Fiat C of C.
Don't think I will check Lenny; probably built in 2004 and sold as a 2017/2018 model :(

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
I know this is an old post, but why not work out the distance you travel to the top of the ramps, then use something to put chocks in front of the rear wheels at the right distance. Simple solution.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I know this is an old post, but why not work out the distance you travel to the top of the ramps, then use something to put chocks in front of the rear wheels at the right distance. Simple solution.
I confess I didn't at first understand what you were suggesting but I've got it now - and it's clever and might well work. :)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
That is how I do it, I put down a twig or a bit of litter to mark how far I have to go, usually lined up with the open door.
You can easily be accurate to within an inch or two

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I just either hang out of the window or open the door whilst driving up the ramps. This is for the front wheels. Back wheels can be fun.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
.. dig a hole in your pillow! ?
Hi.
That's SO yesterday ;)..... Buy a " Bang good Hemorroid pillow ". This would kill two birds with one stone.................
Tea Bag

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi.
That's SO yesterday ;)..... Buy a " Bang good Hemorroid pillow ". This would kill two birds with one stone.................
Tea Bag
Well it was 2 years ago! šŸ˜„

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back