Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
So, yes, one of those things that come to you at 3am when you're toddling off for a wee, trying not to think about anything that might wake you up and suddenly wonder…

how am I going to use the chocks on my own?

So, can it be done and any hints?

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Hi

Could try parking the van then placing a object, or pointer in line of site ( maybe a pole that lines up with the bottom of the windscreen. Then look where the levellers are required, place then by the side of the wheels at the appropriate place, reverse back move the levellers in and drive forward to your mark onto the levellers

Takes a it of practice but achievable.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just position them. Drive onto them then get out and have a look. I usually check for myself anyway even when 'er indoors is outside signalling that we're level.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
It is something I often do. Line everything up and then I open the drivers door and take a visual marker (or use something as mentioned in trekkin's post) and drive onto blocks - Simples!!
A bit of practice and you will have it mastered. Just a word of caution though, don't over do it, damage can be done to the underside if you go off the top of the ramps.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
If I were on my own I would try to park so I can use the leveller on the front drivers side (so either raising the front or drivers side of the Motorhome). Then I would reverse onto the levellers with the drivers door open so I can see I am not going to drive off the top. I would have to find somewhere in the front to put the spirit level so I can see it though as we currently use the rear table.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
You'll get a feel for how far up the leveller you are from the engine revs. Just don't go blindly too far:(

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
It's not an exact science really.. we prefer being slightly nose down (means the sink and shower drain easier.
We
Find flatest point to park .. check with level (or glass of water) or using just eye.
Decide best position for ramps if req
Reverse or drive slowly onto them.
Re check

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
An easy way..
Get someone to assist ( as in watch the bubble ! ) to get it level the first time.
Use some playdough or similar to attach the bubble on the dash somewhere it can be seen from the drivers seat and afix. ( by using playdough you can attach it in a level position by having said dough thicker on one end or what ever .. the point of attachment does not have to be flat )

I never rely on anyone when driving up them anyway.. it is just the 'is it level yet' side of things ..

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Drive onto them then get out and have a look. Simples.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I always open door and lean out to see where wheels are as I saw brand new van overshoot the big milenco 4 level ramps ouch I couldn't bear to look at the damage that must have been done .

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Excellent stuff - thank youse!

Love the idea of the play dough to get the bubble machine to sit level and also using an external point for reference.

I've never overshot the top level, somehow I think I'd get a feel for it if I did and I'm not anal about having it perfectly level, only level enough for the water to drain and the fridge to light.

Thanks all!

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
If you use Milenco quatro or Triple levels you can feel the wheels going into each position. We have small cross level stuck on kitchen work surface.

Reactions: DBK

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
If I were on my own I would try to park so I can use the leveller on the front drivers side (so either raising the front or drivers side of the Motorhome). Then I would reverse onto the levellers with the drivers door open so I can see I am not going to drive off

That's pretty good advice but just look at Mr Colpot's Avatar, he thought that was level!.......:imoutahere: :wink:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I've always done it on my own. Much easier than trying to interpret the advice given by 'helpers'! :D

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am guessing your main fear is driving right over the top? We have Millenco Quattro and by the time you are at the top of them you feel so high you will definitely have stopped !! In fact I have got out convinced I must be perched on the very top due to how high it feels and only been on the third level. As previously said they have quite pronounced dips at each of the set levels

Just take it steady, put ramps against the wheels don't take a run up, make sure they are straight, get out and check part way, you will soon sort your own best way I am totally confident (y)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Check your level with spirit level on kitchen worktop to decide which wheels require levelling.
We have one of those small triangular levels which shows both axis.

If your lucky the wheels that require raising will be the front ones so you can just watch from the drivers door how far you need to reverse, if not place the ramps behind the wheels, (I always reverse up the ramps) with your drivers door open mark out on the ground behind the front wheel the full length of the ramp with a stone or anything else you can find, this will ensure you don`t driver over the top of the ramp.

A little practice will gain you the knowledge you have to reverse up the ramps to gain the level you require.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Done it a few times just go carefully, I don't recommend reversing onto ramps, with the high reverse ratio modern vans have it's puts a hell of a loading on the clutch.
I don't bother with a level, if it feels level it is level.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Love the idea of the play dough to get the bubble machine to sit level
Thanks all!

I don't because there are times it's not level on the top step !

I like Tech. A reversing camera mounted on a sucker. Stick to suitable place and watch the screen. You wouldn't half impress the onlookers.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well, I'm making this up as I go along....

Broken Link Removed

Just fit a 12V cigarette plug on this, don't "install it" as such, prop the camera on the ground holding the TV, move to cab holding TV, go back and re-position coz you pulled the camera, get in cab and go up the ramp safely.

Looks like the camera could be used with a tent peg.

Then unplug and stuff it all in a shoebox.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
If you can't see with the door open, maybe a mirror of some kind placed in the right position on the floor might be a option.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Fun comes when you need to level in two directions-one ramp tight against wheel and one placed a certain distance in front of other wheel (this distance calculated by experience ) so that you end up on ,say,top of one and 2/3 up other one.
The feeling of satisfaction to see bubble dead centre of a cross level is huge (y)(y)

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I always open door and lean out to see where wheels are as I saw brand new van overshoot the big milenco 4 level ramps ouch I couldn't bear to look at the damage that must have been done .

I often arrive on site ahead of Di and when I had a Fiat Ducato-based MH that was my preferred method and it worked very well for me.
However, my current vehicle is Mercedes-based and the wheels are set in much more and cannot be seen when you are in the vehicle, even if you hang out of the drivers door window.
So now I just ask for assistance from the site warden or any friendly-looking camper.
I always show my appreciation by not tipping my grey waste onto their pitch.
Stef.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back