Using laptop as a tv (1 Viewer)

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
we used to worked well. Ariel needed. Changed to wire to standard co-axel cable plug.

Al1

Free Member
Jul 20, 2008
Funster No
As above and used Windows 7 media centre to view.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you buy a cheap USB video grabber you can take a composite output signal (ie yellow, white/black, and red plugs) from your Freeview or Freesat box and feed it into a computer via the grabber's USB plug. To view it you need some sort of video editor software that accepts the signal as input - there's plenty of free ones.

Obviously you need a dish in place, or a decent aerial of some description for the Freeview box.

We don't have a satellite dish for the main home TV, but I've got a cheap Aldi portable sat dish and receiver attached to my conservatory, which feeds a signal into my PC via a video grabber if I want telly on the computer. This means I can now watch 937 different channels of men in turbans chanting whenever I want.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Only when out of the country where can't get satellite but can get reasonable wi fi and use filmon

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Yes - a plug in USB tuner & Windows Media Centre - which is better than most of the freebie TV programs that usually come with the tuners.

You need just as good an aerial as you do for any other telly though, so you can't compromise on that. I have a 12v powered Avtex aerial with built in signal booster - forgotten the model number off hand, but it's their standard portable one. Again, the ones that come with the tuner are only any good in very strong signal areas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Tivizen is a great gadget that allows you to watch TV on your phone, tablet or laptop. It's a freeview tuner that rebroadcasts on wifi to connect to your device.

We have the nano which is handier than the USB version as you can move it around for best reception.

http://www.tivizen.com/wifi-dongle.html

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back