Using Inverter while travelling (1 Viewer)

Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Is it OK to use the inverter to charge stuff up that cannot be charged via USB while travelling. Was thinking the drain on the battery would be nil as it is charged up as you go along by alternator but not sure if it is recommended or safe? Obviously MPG may suffer a bit but at least you still have a full battery bank on arrival to use as normal?
Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, will work fine on the engine battery but the split charge won't keep up with current drain on the hab battery if wired to that.
Don't forget to put a mega fuse in the Pos wire near the battery. Size will depend on inverter output.

OP
OP
MichaelT
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Yes, will work fine on the engine battery but the split charge won't keep up with current drain on the hab battery if wired to that.
Don't forget to put a mega fuse in the Pos wire near the battery. Size will depend on inverter output.
Thank you, inverter already fitted by dealer so hopefully all present and correct:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have used the inverter to power a slow cooker when travelling. No problem if the sun is shining as the solar keeps it all charged but the split charger will not provide enough charge to the leisure batteries if the inverter is drawing any significant current The solution is either a b2b charger or inverter running from the vehicle battery.

OP
OP
MichaelT
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
I have used the inverter to power a slow cooker when travelling. No problem if the sun is shining as the solar keeps it all charged but the split charger will not provide enough charge to the leisure batteries if the inverter is drawing any significant current The solution is either a b2b charger or inverter running from the vehicle battery.
Slow cooker? Does it not tip over?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Probably fitted to the hab battery.
If you have a multimeter check the hab battery voltage when you pitch to see if the split charge is coping.
It really depends what, and for how long, it's charging.
Don't want to find your battery has died by mid evening.
If it is fitted to the starter battery restrict it's use to light loads when the engine isn't running or you may find it won't start when you need to.

OP
OP
MichaelT
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Probably fitted to the hab battery.
If you have a multimeter check the hab battery voltage when you pitch to see if the split charge is coping.
Don't want to find your battery has died by mid evening.
If it is fitted to the starter battery restrict it's use to light loads when the engine isn't running or you may find it won't start when you need to.
Yes fitted to hab batteries, no issues so far but not used the inverter when travelling yet. Was thinking about Mrs T's E Bike more than anything and maybe a laptop but most other stuff we have can charge off USB ports so not an issue.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Assuming you are just going to be charging something like an ebike battery or a rechargeable vacuum cleaner the system should cope but if it is a very heavy load, say roasting a chicken :) then you will arrive with flat and dead batteries. I can only suggest try it, initially with small loads and work up.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Cannot speak for "Euro-boxes" as they could have a different charging set-up. But we used ours in the R-V to Cook the Lunch in the slow cooker many times.(y) Put it in the kitchen sink. (sink dry of course!);). Plug in the inverter (110V) and piping hot lunch by midday stop(y).

Maybe will have to try it in the Rapido sometime?.:). In theory unless the charging regime is grossly different?, It should work OK. I have left a site early morning, after a heavy winter night`s use, and by mid morning or so the Hab batteries are back up to scratch(y) according to the monitoring Meter.:rolleyes: So the alternator is charging, as the solar`s would not bring the batteries up that quick, if at all.

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Yes fitted to hab batteries, no issues so far but not used the inverter when travelling yet. Was thinking about Mrs T's E Bike more than anything and maybe a laptop but most other stuff we have can charge off USB ports so not an issue.

You’ll be fine for one of these at a time.....(y)

As for slow cooker, just go round roundabouts slowly......;)

Put cooker in the sink....(y)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We have our 1000W plumbed in and use it to charge on the move - we have 2 x13amp sockets and use both - our double USB socket is wired directly (with an in-line fuse) to the battery bank of 3 x 110AH batteries

have have charged
2 x laptops or 2 x cycle batteries whilst driving and still arrived with 14v in the bank

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I think an ebike charger is about 150 watts for two or three hours, so it's not a huge load. About the same as a pair of old-style halogen headlights plus wipers and fan. Shouldn't be a problem for the alternator.

Reactions: DBK

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Don't want to steal thread but...
Inverter fitted on new Dethleffs.
On main panel above door I can select max input/output?? on a dial up to 16a.

Selector switch options
charge only/off/on

Did not realise that an inverter would have its own battery?
Is this to provide power without impacting on leisure battery or to provide additional grunt on heavy loads?

Cheers

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I have a factory fit inverter in my Carthago and I often have it on charging both our ebikes whilst driving never had more than 1 or 2 bars of battery power used doing this

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
That sounds like a combined inverter and mains charger. What is the make and model?

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Will check when back in van.
So you think the battery refers to the leisure battery?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You’ll be fine for one of these at a time.....(y)

As for slow cooker, just go round roundabouts slowly......;)

Put cooker in the sink....(y)
I have a large Crock Pot slow cooker which has securing clips on the lid ... had it for yonks, never used it in the camper but as it's meant to be transportable shouldn't be an issue, not sure if you can still buy them though.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Don't want to steal thread but...

Selector switch options
charge only/off/on

Did not realise that an inverter would have its own battery?
Is this to provide power without impacting on leisure battery or to provide additional grunt on heavy loads?

Cheers

Sounds like you may have a Victron inverter/charger. If so, when on EHU the dial is used to set the max current EHU can provide and then it takes the rest from your batteries. Take care not to trip the bollard, or everything will be from the batteries until they are dead.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Sounds like you may have a Victron inverter/charger. If so, when on EHU the dial is used to set the max current EHU can provide and then it takes the rest from your batteries. Take care not to trip the bollard, or everything will be from the batteries until they are dead.
Spot on I think.

Makes sense now as at handover it was explained as a separate battery. Probably due to german/geordie translation :sleep:

Attachments

• IMG_20190517_213004.jpg
    IMG_20190517_213004.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20190517_213121.jpg
    IMG_20190517_213121.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 22
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Spot on I think.

Makes sense now as at handover it was explained as a separate battery. Probably due to german/geordie translation :sleep:

If it’s anything like mine it’ll switch off before the batteries are too low...(y)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Yes, it will protect the batteries from destruction but will carry on trying to satisfy 240V demand until the batteries are depleted. It's easy to do!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I have a large Crock Pot slow cooker which has securing clips on the lid ... had it for yonks, never used it in the camper but as it's meant to be transportable shouldn't be an issue, not sure if you can still buy them though.

If your concerned about the lid moving, ours did not despite the best efforts of some of the USA`s worst road surfaces!, A Large elastic band over the Lid knob and under the pot handles should suffice?.

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Pop my crock pot on a tray on some non slip mats on the floor wedged somewhere, and use it on the run in the Motorhome, using the inverter, I also wrap it in a towel or such to turn into a cheap version of Mrs D thermal for it to carry on cooking once switched off. Works a treat.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If your concerned about the lid moving, ours did not despite the best efforts of some of the USA`s worst road surfaces!, A Large elastic band over the Lid knob and under the pot handles should suffice?.
Not concerned but one advantage of the 'proper' transportable ones is that they also have a proper seal on the edge of the lid so it keeps the contents in and also keeps the heat in better than those without.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back