Using folders offroad? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I'm going to get folding ebikes, for getting from aires and campsites to places of interest.

As well as towpaths and quiet roads, I'm wondering how folders perform offroad, on pebbly or flinty bridleway for example.

I'm minded to get AS bikes but I wonder how the tyres will work on more rugged offroad surfaces.

How do you all get on offroad with folders?

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I think it depends on how confident you are as a cyclist, and probably the quality of the bike, particularly the folding mechanism

I've used 20" wheeled and 16" wheeled folders off road without issue, the 20" was a tern verge frame with an excellent frame hinge design, and my current folder is a tiny 16" wheeled dahon jifo which folds under like a brompton and that's OK for short off road sections but the tyres are just a bit on the small and narrow side for anything too adventurous.

But my other half, who isn't a confident cyclist at all hated both off road and would get off and walk - I've since bought her a "gocycle" which kinda folds and I can hardly keep up with her both off, and on road now!

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Surprisingly well. Assuming you're not expecting a FS 29er experience and that you accept it'll be a bit bone shaking then they are fine. I venture on to all sorts of paths, tracks and forest routes with mine and it copes well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I am of the opinion unless you want a bone jarring ride, they won’t be great.

I ride off road bikes on trails and also road bikes. Took the road bike down a canal towpath with a few bumps and it was awful!

I suppose my perception is skewed in that my off road bike is a decent full suspension so it’s chalk and cheese.

Can you hire one and try it out first? It matters what you think to be fair, not what I think.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have electric Bromptons and do use them off road on paths and tracks. They are fine but wouldn’t cope with anything really rough and potholey. Cobblestones are the worst offenders and of course Tram lines in Holland and Germany. .

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I think it depends on how confident you are as a cyclist, and probably the quality of the bike, particularly the folding mechanism

I've used 20" wheeled and 16" wheeled folders off road without issue, the 20" was a tern verge frame with an excellent frame hinge design, and my current folder is a tiny 16" wheeled dahon jifo which folds under like a brompton and that's OK for short off road sections but the tyres are just a bit on the small and narrow side for anything too adventurous.

But my other half, who isn't a confident cyclist at all hated both off road and would get off and walk - I've since bought her a "gocycle" which kinda folds and I can hardly keep up with her both off, and on road now!
Thanks. Neither of us are cyclists or confident cyclists or competent for that matter! I'm used to walking and jogging on very rough trails so it doesn't bother me but my OH might feel differently. I'll have a look at the gocycle, you've just given me the idea that there's nothing to say I have to buy a matched pair of bikes.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Surprisingly well. Assuming you're not expecting a FS 29er experience and that you accept it'll be a bit bone shaking then they are fine. I venture on to all sorts of paths, tracks and forest routes with mine and it copes well.
What is FS is that full size? I have a 29er non-electric irs lovely. Plan is to have the conventional MTB/hybrid on thd bike rack and the folders in the van garage. What is your bike and what tyres does it have?

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I am of the opinion unless you want a bone jarring ride, they won’t be great.

I ride off road bikes on trails and also road bikes. Took the road bike down a canal towpath with a few bumps and it was awful!

I suppose my perception is skewed in that my off road bike is a decent full suspension so it’s chalk and cheese.

Can you hire one and try it out first? It matters what you think to be fair, not what I think.
Yes I have a road bike I tried on a towpath and instantly gave that up for a 29er! It's not easy finding a folder to hire, I was looking to buy one secondhand to get a feel for. What I want at the end for both of us, is for the focus to end up on the adventure.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
We have electric Bromptons and do use them off road on paths and tracks. They are fine but wouldn’t cope with anything really rough and potholey. Cobblestones are the worst offenders and of course Tram lines in Holland and Germany. .
Thats good to hear. I hadnt thought of urban roads causing issues!

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
What is FS is that full size? I have a 29er non-electric irs lovely. Plan is to have the conventional MTB/hybrid on thd bike rack and the folders in the van garage. What is your bike and what tyres does it have?
FS == Full suspension.

Apr 21, 2014
Hertford
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
9years
Great fan of the Brompton with a kit electric motor. Used on all manner of rough tracks all over Europe for 14 years now and apart from deep mud it goes really well. Not that comfy over very rough paths but I had the softer rubber block fitted (not sure if you still can) and so very comfortable on road and good tracks. Handles brilliantly even with the small wheels. Used Schwalbe marathon plus tyres and only had one puncture in the last few years. That was a blackthorn spike and they will get through most things! I have the 3 speed Sturmey Archer gearing so maintenance and cleaning much easier than with exposed gears. Only thing I wish they would offer now is disk brakes. Otherwise I am running this one into the ground.

I also have a electric Tern folder with 20" wheels and it really isn't much good for off road. In fact the instructions tell you not to use it off road. It is very comfortable because of the large tyres but you need to fit Schwalbe "Big Apple Plus" tyres at purchase (if you fit them yourself buy extra large and extra strong tyre levers) or you will get endless punctures. The tyres have no grip on mud and it is doesn't feel anywhere near as stable as the Brompton off road. On road I have now done 2000 miles and it is faultless in all other respects. Disk brakes make for calm riding! Obviously it is much bulkier when folded than the Brompton and although probably my fault it is much harder for me to fold and unfold. In the van I usually take the Brompton and it fits neatly in a plastic box in the boot.

Overall if I were to buy again I would have another Brompton with a Nano kit motor.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
My advice would be to make sure you try before you buy. Second hand bikes are a massive drop in price from new. My wife flatly refused a bike with small wheels as she just felt unstable on it, and although she wasn’t a regular cyclist is young (ish) and fit. Ended up buying a 27” wheeled bike which she loves a regularly uses

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Landy Andy Yes, I agree, but they're based in the Midlands and I'm doon south. Between you and TighChris I had the idea of hiring some non-electric Brompton folders just to get an idea of the feel of them and perhaps do an easy drish (not easy to find in Jan/Feb) bridelway. There's no hire point near us though. On the stability point, I'm just going to not show OH your comment and I'll tell her that folders are famed for stability.

What's the worst that's going to happen: they aren't as versatile as I'd like and I sell them both in the first year, say losing a 1/3 or in the process. Small beer really in the overall cost of motorhoming. I just asked a couple of questions of AS Bikes eg how good were they offroad. Sam's reply was fulsome and included that it was her father who came up with the original design of their folders years ago, and at the time they had a canal boat and particularly wanted to be able to go offroad so the tyres are have kevlar and there's front suspension and spring extra wide comfy saddle.

So I've ordered 2 * 20" AS Bikes folders! Looking forward to trying them later in the week. Only taken me 2-3 years of umming and arring.

@Tighchris The Brompton with ekit sounds good. What is a ".. softer rubber block " / what is a block? The AS bikes don't have disc brakes either, I'm not surprised at their price point. Have you considered a thing Sam mentioned which is Kevlar tape sits between tube and tyre. Tern, ah! I started another thread some months back where I shop I wandered into didn't sell folders but said that if they did, the only one they'd recommend would be a tern. I didn't see one for under 3k though, which is far too much for my first ebike. I'm not surprised the instructions don't want you to offroad, it's probably like taking a Bentley Continental offroad. I may convert our full size bikes at some stage, is the nano kit a Brompton specific thing?

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
We took delivery of the mk3 folders today and we're very pleased. Only had time to use them for 30 mins but they're great.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We took delivery of the mk3 folders today and we're very pleased. Only had time to use them for 30 mins but they're great.
When you have done a decent off-road ride please let us know your thoughts.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Yes, sure. Today's exercise will be taking them to a local car park just to try out all the controls. I'd then like to go on a riverside bridleway we like, but knowing my wife she won't want to get it muddy (nor will I initially, still enoying the igottanewbike feeling).

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Yes, sure. Today's exercise will be taking them to a local car park just to try out all the controls. I'd then like to go on a riverside bridleway we like, but knowing my wife she won't want to get it muddy (nor will I initially, still enoying the igottanewbike feeling).
Very jealous 😃

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I'm getting impatient to use them again but not while it's around freezing with 16mph breeze.

Instead I'm staying at home at a virtual folk festival on youtube while reading about MTB ebike conversions.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I've converted 6 26" mountain bikes to ebike some far using rear wheel kits and also converted on of my 20" wheeled folder using a front wheel kit - really easy 👍

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I've converted 6 26" mountain bikes to ebike some far using rear wheel kits and also converted on of my 20" wheeled folder using a front wheel kit - really easy 👍
I've barely touched the surface of looking at conversion kits. I was tentatively thinking of a mid-hub kit as I have an old 1990s mtb that I'd like to have the original wheels. How have you come to do so many mtb conversions and how have you chosen and sourced the kits?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back