Using Domestic Fridge in Hot Summers (1 Viewer)

Mou and Iryna

Free Member
Jan 28, 2021
Javea - Spain
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726+
Exp
I am learning fast 😊
Hello there. I need some help with my Domestic fridge. I have a 2010 Burstner on a Fiat Ducato. I live in Spain and we recently had exceptional hot weather, averaging 34 deg. I put my fridge on 240 v on max to cool it but I read that it should be on lower setting in hot weather. Yet whilst driving, I put it on battery. When I got to the campsite, whilst waiting the campsite to connect us to 240 v, the ice cream melted and everything got warm. I am new at this, in hot weather it seems that the batteries cannot cool the fridge. Temp inside went from 7-8 deg to 18 deg. It seems that fridge works ok whilst the engine is running but not with the same results as 240 v. I have never had a MH over hot summers. Is what I am experiencing with the batteries normal in hot summers?. Reading the various suggestions. In summer I am to put the fridge on level 2. If I am to wait any length of time, put fridge on gas until it is plugged to 240 v. Failing this, keep engine running with fridge on battery. Do you agree? Do you have any good recommendations? I am going on 10 day holiday next week. Appreciate any good recommendations. Thank you. M

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
It is unlikely that the fridge is connected to the your batteries,it would flatten them in no time.The three sources for cooling are 240v,gas and a 12v supply from the alternator when the engine is running so as you have worked out as soon as you turn the engine off you need to put it on gas 👍
It is possible to put a couple of computer fans on the vent to help air flow.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I put my fridge on 240 v on max to cool it but I
Works far better on medium . Gas is the same. just over half way for me.
seems that fridge works ok whilst the engine is running but not with the same results as 240 v.
depends on journey lengt.
Mine will maintaion the temperature but it needs to go on gas as soon as you stop if no ehu.

as rb62 said here in summer a pair of fans fitted to the top outlet grille works wonders once the ambient is at or near 30º.
I fill 5 litre water botles about 60% full then freeze them at ome for weeks . Before leaving home I will put one in the fridge to help maintain temps if I forget to put gas on when out. On the road you can buy sacks of ice cheap as chips & use in the fridge to help. just remember to put them in another plastic bag as they will leak.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mou and Iryna

Mou and Iryna

Free Member
Jan 28, 2021
Javea - Spain
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726+
Exp
I am learning fast 😊
It is unlikely that the fridge is connected to the your batteries,it would flatten them in no time.The three sources for cooling are 240v,gas and a 12v supply from the alternator when the engine is running so as you have worked out as soon as you turn the engine off you need to put it on gas 👍
It is possible to put a couple of computer fans on the vent to help air flow.
Thank you RB62. Sound advice.(y) So apparently there is nothing wrong with the batteries. The fridge was fine up to now but it seems to be struggling in this heat. 34-37 is fairly unusual. The 2 batteries are also connected to a solar panel, still. But obviously they need to be continually charged by the alternator. The advice about air vent is a recommendation I heard before. I will try to get a couple from Amazon. Hopefully I can maintain my fridge and my beer cool this summer ;):cool:

OP
OP
Mou and Iryna

Mou and Iryna

Free Member
Jan 28, 2021
Javea - Spain
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726+
Exp
I am learning fast 😊
Works far better on medium . Gas is the same. just over half way for me.

depends on journey lengt.
Mine will maintaion the temperature but it needs to go on gas as soon as you stop if no ehu.

as rb62 said here in summer a pair of fans fitted to the top outlet grille works wonders once the ambient is at or near 30º.
I fill 5 litre water botles about 60% full then freeze them at ome for weeks . Before leaving home I will put one in the fridge to help maintain temps if I forget to put gas on when out. On the road you can buy sacks of ice cheap as chips & use in the fridge to help. just remember to put them in another plastic bag as they will leak.
Thank you for the advice. I will try the ice for sure. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back