BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Well, I think the socks are a mistake, but otherwise good on him(y)
Wish there were more places like that.
Those complainers are just jealous whingers imho;)

I suggest a 'Fun' rally there as its free!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We view it very differently. We think it gives bluebadge motorhomers a bad name and creates resentment from locals as this has clearly shown. We have never wild camped in a disabled space. We have used a disabled space during the day. So as Amanda can access beaches easily . When we travelled on the east coast we were able to access beaches for Amanda. Now due to this type of inconsiderate behavior barriers and restrictions have been put in place and we can no longer access the beaches. So it is only a matter of time before motorhomers disabled or otherwise will not be able to park in such beautiful places. Its Very sad.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm with ABK, about 1% of the Daily Record's readers will think he is in the right the other 99% will condemned him and by inference at the very least all MH owners. You can't even do what he has done on a French aire due to time limits and strictly speaking a camp chair isn't allowed.
I'm all for better provision for MHs in the UK but misusing disabled parking spaces is not the answer. He is just being selfish by denying other blue badge holders the opportunity to use the space.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
actually ...
Do you think John Horn has a right to park in the disabled bay for such a long period of time?
  • Yes - he's done nothing wrong - 65%

• No - he's taking the mickey - 35%
Oh well, I suppose I made the mistake of presuming standards still existed. If they took a poll of local disabled folk I wonder if they would have the same result? :sneaky:

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I think he's perfectly within his rights he is doing no harm and his campers in remarkably good nick for its age most of the early kontikis are falling to bits these days. He's contributing to the local community by means of food shopping and use of the centre he pays his road tax and insurance like everyone else the area around him looks clean and tidy

Good luck to him I say

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There are two ways to look at it..

1.. He is not breaking any laws or parking regulations.. his van is legal .. the police are not interested. Have a look at Google street view.. the flats are miles away, so not affecting anyone's view.

2. It will get up people's nose and gives camper van owners and in particular disabled ones, a bad name..

All this story is doing is advertising the fact that there is free overnight parking at Ayr Esplanade .. how long before it is overrun by campers and the council take action.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
In my opinion it is a case of him being able to do it legally that is at fault. If they had time limit restrictions then he would not be able to stay so long. I feel he is misusing the facilities that are given to him by staying so long stay a few days and nights by all means but please allow others to use the facility in the same way. I thought a disabled badge had a time limit for parking but is it only when parking on yellow lines?
A more knowledgeable person than me should be able to answer this question in relation to the law. When is parking not parking, because you are not parking you are in a sense residing due to the length of time, the sleeping, hanging out washing, sunbathing and all other related things he is doing?

Nowt wrong with his motorhome whatsoever in fact it is well looked after.

I feel this is going to further the bad feelings some people have towards Motorhomers, use these benefits in a fair manner I say. As said earlier even the French have time limits.
I hope it is dealt with swiftly and fairly for all concerned and does not hurt US as Motorhomers.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
No he's taking advantage . There should be a time limit. 2 days max
People like him spoil it for everyone else. There will be a no overnighting sign up soon , if the council have any common sense.

I also don't agree with disabled , having free parking. Why should they ?
Places near to entrances , facilities , but pay for it , like everyone else.

I too would not like it parked outside my house . Sorry It is an eyesore.
So is he for that matter ! :rofl:
Even if it was a top of the range new Motorhome and he was a right hunk , with a limp, I wouldn't want them in my line of vision for 3 months.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
There are two ways to look at it..

1.. He is not breaking any laws or parking regulations.. his van is legal .. the police are not interested. Have a look at Google street view.. the flats are miles away, so not affecting anyone's view.

2. It will get up people's nose and gives camper van owners and in particular disabled ones, a bad name..

All this story is doing is advertising that there is free overnight parking at Ayr esplanade .. how long before it is overrun and the council take action.
I don't think he's interested in whether it gives camper van owners a bad name or not....and really why should he?
Bottom line is he is breaking no laws and he contributes to society. If people copy him again that isn't his concern that's up to the council to deal with .........Most towns cities and communities of houses started because someone built a house and others followed suit. Maybe if the UK adopted the aires scheme and catered for motorcaravaners better then they could avoid this until then the guy is in the right and until he breaks a law good luck to him ........He will have to move when his mot is due :) ......and the next disabled motorhome can get the space.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
No he's taking advantage . There should be a time limit. 2 days max
People like him spoil it for everyone else. There will be a no overnighting sign up soon , if the council have any common sense.
What difference does it make if 1 van is there 6 months or a load of vans there 2 nights each? ....There would still be a van there from what I see it isn't other van owners or disabled people complaining it's just residents who don't want a camper there aka jealousy.......The disabled space next to it is empty

I also don't agree with disabled , having free parking. Why should they ?
Places near to entrances , facilities , but pay for it , like everyone else.

I too would not like it parked outside my house . Sorry It is an eyesore.
So is he for that matter ! :rofl:
Even if it was a top of the range new Motorhome and he was a right hunk , with a limp, I wouldn't want them in my line of vision for 3 months.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Like many people I agree it is in bad taste and an abuse of a council parking facilities; whether he is disabled or not is irrelevant. The definition of the area he is camped in is a car park and should have restricted use, but as everyone including the police and council admit he is not breaking any laws and is entitled to stay.
Comments by locals paying their council tax whilst he pays none fail to realise he has a home where he returns at the end of the summer.

If anyone is to blame it is the council for not restricting the use of the car park, but no doubt after reading this article, conditions of use will change and height barriers will be introduced and everyone who owns a motorhome or day van including the disabled will suffer; a consequence of all thoughtlessness.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

I guess his "limp" would be offputting......:RollEyes::RollEyes: :wink::wink:

Last edited:

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
The council state in that story they welcome the vans and don't want to change that.......il bet it's a minority of residents who are complaining the same ones who have draft letters pre typed about buckets not emptied or bulbs out in streetlights.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Perfectly legal but it is the type of behaviour which results in banning of motorhomes.

It is reminiscent of Upton upon Severn a few years ago when Malvern Hills Council allowed overnighting in Hanley Road car park with no time limit. A temporary ban on overnighting was brought in because a significant part of the car park was taken over by blue badge holders staying for several days for free to the detriment of the public at large. The ban has since been rescinded as a new parking order with limits is now in force but there is no guarantee that any bans brought in elsewhere would be temporary.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I wonder if any of the local residents bought a motorhome and decided to store it in that car park all year round whether it would get the same attention.

Technically you can park your motorhome on any private street you like if it's taxed mot and insured..... and not causing an obstruction in fact in Scotland you can park a caravan on the street and it's legal as long as it's not causing an obstruction ...so the fact the guy is staying in it but causing no harm shouldn't really make a difference.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if he never sat outside and complied with the eu rules on parking not camping then it wouldnt matter . its because he has a chair outside etc that spoils it . parking is one thing camping is another .
nothing outside no stabilizers or steps touching the ground no leveling devices , etc is parking . what you do inside doesnt matter .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
He's selfish, no ifs, no buts.

If he turned up to park in a disabled bay and found that they were clogged up by others who had no intention of moving for a long time you can bet he'd be extremely unhappy especially if there were no other parking places available. Disabled bays are there for a reason - for people with mobility problems - if he really wanted to be more considerate he could take up one of the non-disabled bays ... but of course he probably wouldn't have such a nice 'view'.

Selfish for many reasons, however you look at it.

As an aside, I wonder what he's doing about his toilet waste and grey water ... and where he's getting fresh water from ...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
if he never sat outside and complied with the eu rules on parking not camping then it wouldnt matter . its because he has a chair outside etc that spoils it . parking is one thing camping is another .
nothing outside no stabilizers or steps touching the ground no leveling devices , etc is parking . what you do inside doesnt matter .
No Alan. As discussed many times in the past "parking is one thing camping is another" might be the case in other countries but not in the UK.
The legal term for"what you do inside" in this country is "habitation" not "camping" and, whether we like to admit it or not, S1(4) of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 applies irrespective of whether stabilizers &c are used.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Question for those who don't think he's taking the piss:
Would you still say he's ok, within the law, not a problem, etc. if it were 3 vans of travellers set up for the summer?
The principle is the same, surely?

This thread is duplicated in the "Is he a nuisance?" thread.

Probably not a "nuisance" as such, but certainly taking the mickey.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Would you still say he's ok, within the law, not a problem, etc. if it were 3 vans of travellers set up for the summer?

Good point john - u got me thinking now! My post was supportive of him but now u made me think!
Some might say he pays council tax and Itinerants don't - but then nor do I ! I don't have a blue badge but I could park there in a normal space and get away with it too. But if I lived in a house nearby I'd get the ump!
Confused dot com!!!

I still think he's ok - but if were Itinerants I'd drop bombs on them. :eek:

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp

This thread is duplicated in the "Is he a nuisance?" thread.

Probably not a "nuisance" as such, but certainly taking the mickey.
Actually yes I'd take the same view travellers have lived that way a there lives ....It gets my hump how in the UK we are so accepting of Muslim cultures and every other culture but seem to hate gypsies ....i mean genuine travellers of whom I've met a few and not the shysters who go round tarring drives or dodgy dealings who leave shit loads of waste behind them etc ....but if 3 travellers were there making no mess causing no noise etc and generally just appreciating the area then absolutely I'd have no problem with it.

All the comments about people giving campers a bad name etc really does my head in ......when I go camping il be honest I couldn't care less if any of my actions were thought of as giving other campers a bad name ...if I'm within the law doing no harm and respecting the area and someone doesn't like it then tough it's their problem not mine.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
On the same theme but slightly off the thread we were visiting Loch Morlich in Aviemore where there is a car park by the beach. Though there are no marked parking spaces a mh had parked horizontal, taking the space of two parked cars and had wound out his awning and put out his camping chairs. I was with my non mhing son and family and expressed my view I thought he was being inconsiderate. I was surprised by the response of my daughter in law who said, "I don't have a problem, good luck to him, its a public space and its a case of first come first served."

So what is my point? I then began to realise perhaps we, and I really mean me, are too sensitive about what we think others may think of us! My natural inclination is, whilst enjoying myself, not to annoy others but as many Funsters have said before try as we might we will always annoy someone and though some might find this guys behaviour annoying (and I am one of them) there are probably many more who like my daughter in law would say, "Good luck to him!"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back