Free Member
Jan 9, 2018
Birminghan
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2016
Any thoughts on this please? We bought our motorhome from a local dealer in April, with a one year guarantee. The dealer moved 50 miles away. We had a fault with the heating. The dealer said we had to take it and leave it with them to be looked at. That'd take two trips with two vehicles or a return train ticket, and two days. So we got it sorted at another local authorised repairer. The original dealer won't pay, saying our guarantee only covers work done by them. Who's being unreasonable in the eyes of the law?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I know no law, but suspect that the dealer has offered to fix it and you declined, so at that point their responsibility ended. Methinks, you should have negotiated something at the time. Regretfully, you can't go around arbitrarily doing things that effect other people, ie they have got to pay, without their consent.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I suspect you would first have to say to the dealer that you were going to take it elsewhere due to the difficulty in getting it to them and expect them to cover the cost from their point of view you could have appeared willing to take it back. Not saying I don't symathise we have had pretrty rubbish dealings with our supplying dealer and have little loyalty to them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

Tim J

Free Member
Jan 9, 2018
Birminghan
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks SuperMike and The Wino, not the answers I was hoping for but ones I needed to hear!

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
We live in N.Ireland and we bought our MH in mainland UK, we had a problem with the MH and contacted the dealer where we purchased it from and discussed the problem and due to the distance they were great and told me to get a quote locally and they would pay to get the work done.
Which they did without any problems.
Ofc not all dealers have that good after sales

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Check the wording of the guarantee anyway. This is an addition to and not instead of your statutory rights against the supplying dealer.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It is down to who the guarantee/warranty is with, if it is the dealer's own then you have to go back to them unless they agree otherwise, if it is a stand-alone one, ie insurance backed type, then you may be able to go elsewhere but you need to check the details to know for sure.

I can appreciate your annoyance but 50 miles away from a dealer is actually only a small distance ... all of ours came from dealers at least 60 miles away, and one from a dealer 250 miles away.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I bought my current mh from Southdowns. They were upfront about guarantee work and without being asked told me any work needed could be done local to me. All they asked was that l contacted them first. They're in Portsmouth as you'll know. I live in Cumbria. I didn't need to have work done by anyone as it turned out - Southdowns authorised the two things I needed over the phone, allowed me to purchase and install them myself, then refunded the cost.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Our dealer is 75 miles away and they gave us a warranty when purchasing, but the warranty wasn't with them it was with MB&G. They have terms and conditions that dictate if you want them to cover something they'll decide who mends it and everything must go through them before any work is done. It frees us up from having to take it back to the dealer 75 miles away, though the dealer didn't tell us that.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We live in N.Ireland and we bought our MH in mainland UK, we had a problem with the MH and contacted the dealer where we purchased it from and discussed the problem and due to the distance they were great and told me to get a quote locally and they would pay to get the work done.
Which they did without any problems.
Ofc not all dealers have that good after sales
But you discussed it and got agreement up front. I could be wrong but I got the impression from the OP's post that he didn't

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
A previous dealer (Somerset Motorhome Centre) was 200 miles from my home. When I had a problem, they paid my fuel to visit them. They also offered to arrange a local (to me) firm to do any repair work.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
@Tim J Only two trips, I wish! we bought a new van been back 3 times to them 60 miles each way left van with them went back at a later date to collect it unfortunately it is down to dealer discresion how they handle any warranty.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
But you discussed it and got agreement up front. I could be wrong but I got the impression from the OP's post that he didn't
That was the point I was trying to make Eddie :) talking is the key point here and getting approval (n)

OP
OP
T

Tim J

Free Member
Jan 9, 2018
Birminghan
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2016
Right so....being new to this game you're all giving me a better picture of what's "reasonable" in terms of distance and the things you have to do to keep your motorhome going. Ours is a dealer warranty, so on top of that we made a mistake in not talking to them more first. Thanks everyone. Next time....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back