Using Cruise Control for best economy (1 Viewer)

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
How do you use your Cruise Control (assuming you have one)? I like bumbling along around 62 mph on Motorways/Autoroutes and the Cruise Control is just great for that. But what about hills? Do you disengage to "feel" your way up the hill? After our break in France and over the Massif Central I got to wondering just how much throttle is being applied. Would I be better changing down a gear or two and using higher revs or just allow the Cruise Control to apply up to maximum throttle in top gear if that was enough to get me up the hill.

I am guessing that when a hill slows the MH below the preset speed, the system will apply full throttle until that speed is achieved again, which may not be the most economic way.

Steve

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
yes, that's my instinctive feeling but would be interested to hear from more 'tech savvy' funsters. If a hill slows me below my preset speed I reset to the speed prescribed until I feel it appropriate to speed up or I 'normalise' at 1900rpm, which seems to be the default economy setting for my 2.2 Ford Duratorq TDCi (140PS but chipped to 175PS)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
different for me having an auto box....

on hills i either disengage cruise or drop out of overdrive, depending how steep.

in cruise mode, trying to maintain 55mph on a slight, but long incline, will see my revs increase from 1800 to well over 3500 with possibly two downchanges.

the same hill, cruise off, will need a little more throttle but usually stays in overdrive or possibly changes to third, and a slight loss of speed.

i may have 300+ horses and 400 odd ftLB of torque, but they are lazy horses.....a sporty engine it aint.

cruise will do anything it can to stick to the set speed going up hill and is very uneconomical.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
I have found that if my vehicle starts to struggle, it takes itself out of cruise and reduces speed.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Haven't got cruise control on the van (wish I had) but on the car I always get the impression of a heavy throttle to bring it back up to speed. I never really thought about it before, though. Technical explanations welcome..........

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Haven't got cruise control on the van (wish I had) but on the car I always get the impression of a heavy throttle to bring it back up to speed. I never really thought about it before, though. Technical explanations welcome..........
as in my post....the cruise will do anything in its power to maintain the set speed.....and get back to it as fast as possible.

my engine is very quiet in cruise, but on a hill the beast is woken, the silence broken.
a 6.8ltr V10 at 3500 revs spinning a cooling fan the size of a bicycle wheel will never be quiet :Sad:

manual box, more and more throttle yet less and less revs.....wasted fuel

auto box, downchanges and more revs......wasted fuel

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks - being a bit slow tonight..... You'd think that modern electronics would handle it a bit better than simply giving it loads of gas, but in the big scheme of things I suppose there are other priorities for auto makers.

Trying to remember electronic controls I did for my 1st mates ticket years ago but never understood it then either

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
i have a 2.2 litre ducato with cruise control. My pal has a similar size mh with a 2 litre ducato engine. He does not have cruise control. We set off from home together and got to our need for a fill up. We both started out full. I had to put ÂŁ82 in and he had to put ÂŁ92 in. H

Lots of variables of course but I also like to stick at 62 mph. He followed me all the way up the motorway but of course our overtaking abilities were different.

If I feel the engine is struggling in 5th going up hill I drop down to fourth and put the cruise back on.

Probably, like all other ducator owners I have to rely on the sat nav for my true speed.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I have a Peugeot 2.2 HDI, 6 speed, with cruise.

On uphill stretches I disengage the cruise, use a light left foot and often let the speed drop a few mph. I then regain the speed very slowly on the next flat or downhill stretch.

If you watch the instantaneous mpg on the fuel computer, if you leave it in cruise it drops like a stone, but if I use my light right foot and let it drop a couple of mph it hardly changes. Far better mpg can be obtained without the cruise on as opposed to leaving it on all the time. I am getting about 28/29 mpg on a good day. 25/26 on a bad day. I hope to get it remapped before we set off for France next month, so hopefully that will help improve the figures and maybe crack the 30 mpg...:thumb:

My car is a Honda Civic 2.2, 6 speed turbo diesel. The cruise on it is amazing, extremely sensitive and seems to "think" as opposeds to just maintaing the speed at whatever cost. It has an ECO (economy) gauge on LED's as well as the LCD fuel computer. Last time I had a long run up to Scotland and back I achieved 63 mpg sitting "just" above the 60 or 70 mph speed limit as appropriate. Even on long uphill stretches in 6th gear at 70 mph, it still shows just under 50 mpg on cruise.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I use cruise a lot, but, only on level roads or slight inclines. I always knock it off on hills as with an auto box the engine will start to rev a lot higher to try and maintain the set speed. Much more economical to relax on climbs, than scream the engine chasing an unobtainable speed setting.

Craig

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Thanks for your thoughts. My impression has been that it is better to knock off the Cruise Control on long inclines as your right foot is more sensitive than the Cruise Control. I think CC is a "switch" between power and no power.

Steve

parkay3560

Free Member
Jul 18, 2010
Almost Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Interesting thread this. I say so because I am a disabled MHer and have cruise control on my Quashqui and its fantastic and eases my back off when I drive. I now dont go that far in my MH cos I cant manage to drive long distance any more so cruise control would be fantastic for my 2004 Fiat ducato based MH, our Bessie E435.

appologies for appearing to hijack the thread and if any answers come out of this I'll move to another, but has anyone had cruise fitted to the same cab as I have and does it work and is it expensive?

apologies again for any hjack.

Bessy regs

Kenny

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I can speak with a considerable amount of expertise in economy driving:winky: cruise control is a pleasure but will definitely not replace the right foot for the best economy. Staying at a constant speed is not the most economical way to drive. If you are going downhill then let your speed pick up and uphill let your speed come down slightly. If you dont believe me then monitor your real time trip computer.
Long distance motorway driving with cruise set at 74mpg I will get 3-4 mpg less than using my right foot, but worth every lost mpg:thumb:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Interesting thread this. I say so because I am a disabled MHer and have cruise control on my Quashqui and its fantastic and eases my back off when I drive. I now dont go that far in my MH cos I cant manage to drive long distance any more so cruise control would be fantastic for my 2004 Fiat ducato based MH, our Bessie E435.

appologies for appearing to hijack the thread and if any answers come out of this I'll move to another, but has anyone had cruise fitted to the same cab as I have and does it work and is it expensive?

apologies again for any hjack.

Bessy regs

Kenny

For retro cruise control fitting:
Have a word with Dave Newell - www.davenewell.co.uk/

Glynn

Free Member
May 2, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would "Never" take much notice of the fuel cons computer, the only way to calculate mpg is to do a fill drive fill test. I have a few vans with computers and for example they might say 30 mpg where as the real mpg is about 24 -25.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You right about the lack of accuracy with trip computers and their optimism but for the purposes of this thread, the instantaneous consumption indicator is a great guide since you're looking for an indication only.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You right about the lack of accuracy with trip computers and their optimism but for the purposes of this thread, the instantaneous consumption indicator is a great guide since you're looking for an indication only.
Spot on DD:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back