Using Alde heating for winter protection (1 Viewer)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Has anyone any experience of using the installed Alde heating system to keep interior of a MH maintained during winter? I know this is spring(??) but I'm looking ahead (the 6P's! :)). We have an Alde Compact 3000 with the original slider switch control panel. The MH is kept at home on an EHU so we can use it on spur of the moment throughout the year. I'd like to run the Alde heating with thermostat at low level to protect against freezing etc. Ours is an RMB so good insulation, heated double bottom and garage and double glazing.

1) I was told by previous owner that the fitted 12v pump is not suitable for running for long periods. Anyone have expertience of this.
2) Has anyone fitted, say, a 220v small pump in parallel to circulate the glycol to keep things warm? If so did you have any problems?
3) Can anyone confirm whether the pump only runs when there is demand for heat or does it run continually?

Thanks

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
On my digital 3020 panel I have the option to select continuous or Thermal pump control. Then i also have a choice of room sensor, panel sensor or Auto for temp sensing options. I do not know what options the 3000 panel gives you but someone will be along to tell you; you may be able to upgrade your panel if it is an issue, ask Alde UK.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
First click off the slider switch for the pump will control the pump via the thermostat so the pump will run intermittently, I reckon a well insulated van the boiler alone would be enough to protect the fresh water system (assuming the boiler is in the floor).

Apparently you can fit another 12 volt pump in the header tank so you would have a spare, the Alde UK guys are at Peterborough and told somebody how to do it yesterday.

Martin

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Has anyone any experience of using the installed Alde heating system to keep interior of a MH maintained during winter? I know this is spring(??) but I'm looking ahead (the 6P's! :)). We have an Alde Compact 3000 with the original slider switch control panel. The MH is kept at home on an EHU so we can use it on spur of the moment throughout the year. I'd like to run the Alde heating with thermostat at low level to protect against freezing etc. Ours is an RMB so good insulation, heated double bottom and garage and double glazing.

1) I was told by previous owner that the fitted 12v pump is not suitable for running for long periods. Anyone have expertience of this.
2) Has anyone fitted, say, a 220v small pump in parallel to circulate the glycol to keep things warm? If so did you have any problems?
3) Can anyone confirm whether the pump only runs when there is demand for heat or does it run continually?

Thanks

My pump needed replacing on a 2 year old van so maybe some truth in that it is a tiny pump. In 30 odd year have never heated a van while stored. Heat equals moisture in my mind. Venilation. Ventilation ventilation!. Insulated screen protector. And if really fussy remove or stand up bedding. Sofa seats...etc......beutiful van enjoy!:)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You are correct in thinking the pump is not the strongest link in the chain and does require frequent replacement. One thing you do have in your favour is that your van is so well insulated that you will have no problems with freezing even in the coldest weather. If you want to be really want to be sure, a small oil filled radiator set on the lowest setting will do the job. Make sure the windscreen blind is down and everything will be snug. People dont even bother draining an RMB down in winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
My van is kept at home and ready to go off at a moments notice and for the last 2 years the Alde system has not been switched off for long periods of time. Even if the heating does not kick in the boiler will kick in to keep the hot water hot. I was told by Alde themselves at a show once that Alde systems are built to run continually BUT you must completely empty the hot water cylinder once a month and refill to re-pressurise the hot water side of the Alde system. It does also say that in the manual.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't see the point of heating an empty van, warm air holds more moisture so you are only encouraging condensation.
As for having a van heated and ready to go, it doesn't take to heat a van, buy the time you have transfered the contents of your fridge and put in a few other bits from the house you need it will be warm.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don't see the point of heating an empty van, warm air holds more moisture so you are only encouraging condensation.
As for having a van heated and ready to go, it doesn't take to heat a van, buy the time you have transfered the contents of your fridge and put in a few other bits from the house you need it will be warm.
Agreed....
Ventilation is far more important than heat in winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Robin McHood
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
To all, many thanks for your inputs. I should have made it clearer that Rolling Home is set up with ventilation (The last owner was Chief Engineer for Airbus A310 internal design and there is lots of Airbus based mods! No wings unfortunately :)) The background heating is more to do with stopping things freezing, i.e. not having to drain down the water tanks, remove bottled water etc etc, so its really a jump in and go when Carol tells us the NW of Scotland is going to be dry and sunny for the next 24 hours in January...:)
Cheers (y)(y) to
You are correct in thinking the pump is not the strongest link in the chain and does require frequent replacement. One thing you do have in your favour is that your van is so well insulated that you will have no problems with freezing even in the coldest weather. If you want to be really want to be sure, a small oil filled radiator set on the lowest setting will do the job. Make sure the windscreen blind is down and everything will be snug. People don't even bother draining an RMB down in winter.

That's reassuring, I'll maybe go for two, one in the cabin and other in the garage, we are above the snowline in winter and with a good easterly it can get a tad chilly where RH sits. (I think that's several beers I now owe you..)
Mind you Wolfgang told me RH "should never be taken near salted roads" so I trust she won't have a hissy fit next winter :LOL::LOL::LOL::Ta2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back