Using a PC with 20in screen in MH (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
We are looking at a 2 month trip to France/Spain in April/May this year. The below set-up will also be used in the UK.

Ideally I need/want reliable internet access and a PC with a minimum 20in screen. Tablets are not suitable for my needs and a laptop would be a waste as when at home it would never get used.

A friend has suggested getting one of these..... http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/overview.html

He has one set up as a media centre for his TV at home, I have seen it working and was impressed. It was lightning fast. He has Windows 8 running on it and uses a wireless keyboard with track pad.

Although primarily for the internet, I might want to have a dabble at video editing on it if possible.

I will be using this from the swiveled drivers seat with the monitor on a small fold up table and maybe in the safari room when staying for longer periods.

If I am going to carry that size screen around, it would be handy if it was a TV as well. So a 20in (minimum) TV/Monitor would have to be on my shopping list. If I go with the NUC, I would probably use it in the house as a media centre.

Power is one of my concerns, when on site we would be on hook-up so no problems there. When using aires etc, would still need to use it so I assume the only way is to use a inverter to power both PC and screen.

So the first question is what size inverter?
Do they plug into a cigarette lighter socket?
When in the van I would use one on the dash and in the safari room we have a outside TV point with one that can be used.

I have heard about inverters being `wired in` but assume that this is not an option as I need to use it in different places around the van.

The second questions is whether the above is a good solution to my needs which are primarily a small, reliable PC with a large screen.

Hope the above makes sense.

Steve

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, I built a 12v PC for my van and made a video on it here if your interested:

Making the NUC work as a TV is easy enough, a USB TV stick will be fine (again what I used).

I wouldn't use an inverter. I think the NUC is 19v so the right 12v - 19v car laptop charger will power it fine and be more efficient.

They don't use as much power as you might think. From memory I think the NUC uses about 14w and a 20" screen should be under 20w so the system should only use around 30w per hour (2.5a ish).

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Thanks, very useful, I have watched the video.

As a `non techie` I am struggling to understand some of the basics.

I can`t find where I saw it but think I have read 19v somewhere re NUC. Can you elaborate please on what I would need to power that from a cigarette lighter socket.

I am also confused about what to look for on a TV/Monitor. I already have a 22 in Samsung which I am pretty sure is both (TV and monitor) but it only has a kettle plug type socket for power so I think would only work using a inverter.
It also only has one of each of these.... HDMI, DVI in, RGB in. Not sure if it could be connected to the NUC through any of these.

I have a 4G MiFi and would probably go for the Europa Sim for when not got wifi, not sure what the 500Mb a day equates to though.

I need to look into the wifi signal aspect and get some sort of gadget to help bring a good signal in. Am also looking into Satellite broadband as discussed in another thread.

Going to NEC on Sunday so may be able to do some research on this there, as long as I can find someone who talks in idiot speak.

Thanks again.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
We're currently working on a little project to use a Raspberry Pi as a TV receiver, this will be powered by the USB socket on a monitor or the HDMI socket on a TV, shouldn't be long now and will, hopefully, cost less than ÂŁ40.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have heard about inverters being `wired in` but assume that this is not an option as I need to use it in different places around the van.

small inverters up to maybe 120w/150w are cig lighter socket capable but a larger ones really needs hardwiring, but thats not a problem.

Simply plug in a 230v extension lead into the inverter and take it wherever its needed.....inside, outside, into the site toilet block if you want.

Note.

Dashboard Cig sockets come in 2 flavours....10amp (120w) and 15amp (180w)

120w is usually the cig lighter proper...180w is the auxilary socket and should be marked 180watts

Using either will drain your engine battery unless they have been rewired.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back