Using a copy of V5 registration document in Spain. (1 Viewer)

castor

Free Member
Jan 15, 2014
Reguiny France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Artic T71.LP
Exp
Hi folks , any of you had a problem using a copy of V5 registration document travelling in France , spain and Portugal? Currently in France waiting on new V 5 But have been told could be up to six weeks .Want to move on .Thanks

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Got stopped by police in Portugal. They were very upset that I was only carrying photostats of documents in car . Originals were in van. Only reason I got away with it was that I had plastic part of driving licence with me

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
In Spain many people carry photostat copies of vehicle and personal id documents. These are copied by a Notary who stamps them as official copies. DIY versions are not acceptable

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Got to think that I this day and age, they will contain many security features to distinguish them from photocopies

OP
OP
C

castor

Free Member
Jan 15, 2014
Reguiny France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Artic T71.LP
Exp
Thanks for the responses unsure if need to wait for original or go .Decisions.Decisions.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Can you get a letter or email from the DVLA confirming you have applied. That may make the police much more sympathetic. As an aside Portugal issues their equivalent of the V5 in a week and gives a note saying it is being processed

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

Absolutely Webby, get the original scanned and printed and you cannot tell the difference, ie: Scan on a Scanner and print on a Colour Printer not just a photocopier.
Incidentally, I very much doubt there is any security features in a V5 after all it doesn't even offer proof of ownership of the vehicle,

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Was stopped in Spain, found photocopy first they were not amused, but were fine when the original was produced, my passport and driving licence matching caused scratched heads.

OP
OP
C

castor

Free Member
Jan 15, 2014
Reguiny France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Artic T71.LP
Exp
Geting a response by phone let alone a letter regarding how long the new V5 will take is a marathon ! but thanks.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
With ours hold them to the light & registration number is punched through in minute holes. Like a UK passport.
Colour photo copies ? My residencia registration, first thing they do is hold to the light to see for the "España" water marks. :)
@ianthebuilder came without one & had it posted over.(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I posted details on the forum about a contact at the DVLA so you should be able to get hold of a temporary certificate to prove that you own the vehicle and the new V5 will be issued in due course ... can't remember which thread it was but it was about a similar issue someone else had.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Latest V5's don't scan very well, paper is thinner and reverse side shows through.

Deleted User

Does the V5 not consist of 2 pages with a serrated join, rather difficult to replicate exactly I would have thought?

Having asked that question I would risk it with a good copy, Been driving in all those countries for nearly 30 years and never been asked for docs, always a first time though:)

Edit#2

I have just checked my original with a copy that I made a few months ago, can't remember whether I scanned and printed or just copied but it is quite easy to tell the difference when compared side by side. The original has lots of 'watermark' features that do not show up well on the copy and as @ Lenny HB says the pink colour from the front bleeds through onto the reverse.

Last edited by a moderator:

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
we have spent 4 of the last 9 years driving around France and Spain and never been asked for a V5 . What,s the worst that can happen a money fine.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Not sure why they get so wound up about the V5C.

Because it has always been the requirement in aimst every other country to have both your personal identification papers and the vehicle documents available for inspection at any time. It is just the way they do it.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Because it has always been the requirement in aimst every other country to have both your personal identification papers and the vehicle documents available for inspection at any time. It is just the way they do it.

Equally I'm sure sure why we get so wound up about carrying it. It gives information but proves nothing.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
we have spent 4 of the last 9 years driving around France and Spain and never been asked for a V5 . What,s the worst that can happen a money fine.
As I have said on here many times that is not the problem. Certainly in France, if you have an incident could be just theft from you van the police will not issue a crime report without the V5 and your insurance company will want the crime report to processes your claim. By not having the V5 all you are doing is shooting yourself in the foot.
I don't see the problem a V5 is only a registration document it is not proof of ownership.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Legally, copies of vehicle documents/driving licence/passport are NOT legally acceptable in Spain.
You must show the original.
The only exception is if you have had a "Copia Compulsada" of the original made by a Notary here in Spain. That must under Spanish law be accepted by all "organs of the State" as being just as valid as the original document.
But that Copia Compulsada is not simply a photocopy.... they must make the copy themselves, on their own specially numbered and watermarked Notary paper, apply their stamp, seal and declaration and then a Notary signature.
Cost isn't great, perhaps 4 or 5 euros per Copia Compulsada of each document.........but of course you do need to take the original of the document to a Notary for them to make such a Copia Compulsada!

But in reality the chances of actually getting pulled in a stop-check are infinitesimally slim.
The chance of the Guardia Trafico officer then taking issue with a very good colour copy of your V5 are then also tiny.
And even if he gets arsey, and instead of just giving you a verbal bollocking, the fine for not having the original with you is very low anyway.

We've lived here for over 14 years now, and travel all around the country very regularly via car, motorbikes and motorhome; and I've only been asked to show my vehicle papers twice.

In practice, don't worry, travel and be happy.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
If you have problem with your vehicle in France and need a garage then you must produce the V5 (Carte Gris) before they will do ay work

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
If you have problem with your vehicle in France and need a garage then you must produce the V5 (Carte Gris) before they will do ay work

I've had work done by garages many times in France on motorhome, also bikes and a car. Have never every been asked for any documents beforehand.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Having lived in France for 5 years, every time I took my vehicles to. Garage for service or work done my Carte Gris (V5) was always asked for, and this was thruout France not just local

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've been on holiday since early April (home in just under a fortnight's time :() and we've seen quite a lot of Police patrols pulling over vehicles and checking docs, this was in France, Portugal and Spain and with the heightened security measures don't be shocked if you do get asked to show your docs, if they having a thorough check there's nothing to make you more 'special' than any of their own country men who get checked!

On our way out when we got to Eurotunnel at Folkestone the French officials wanted to check our vehicle BEFORE we even left the UK and had a nosy around, if they hadn't been happy you can bet they'd have wanted to see all our papers, fortunately Tazzy gave them one of her cheesy toothless grins and they decided we were 'safe' ... or were frightened of this funny looking English mutt! :D2

As for having to have docs when reporting crime - when a previous MH was damaged in Holland it was the first thing the police wanted to see.

Nov 14, 2009
Pagham Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis T688
Exp
Lived in Portugal for 10 years and by law you must have originals with the vehicle

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back