Using 240v feed whilst travelling! (1 Viewer)

Sulli_Clan

Free Member
Aug 24, 2011
Ghost Town
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Granduco 2.5T
Exp
On our way to France yesterday and our 12v feed for the fridge that runs off the battery while travelling, cut off. Have checked fuses and wiring but no luck.
As we have solar panels and inverter, have come up with what I think is a solution, run the external power cable, as if we are on hook up, to the inverter, to give the fridge power when we travel. When we stop, we go straight to gas. As we are doing runs of 4 hours or so, and have a fridge full of food, we can't really not have fridge operating while travelling.
Is there any issue with my plan?
Sent from the beautiful, free aire in etaples, overlooking the Marina!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    636 KB · Views: 24

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Cant see any problem with your plan. I run the inverter on a regular basis for all sorts of stuff when on the move. Slow cooker, charging scooters, rooftop aircon, beer fridge etc.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Switch the battery charger off, but otherwise cant see a problem as long as the inverter and the feed to it are up to the prolonged use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Switch the battery charger off, .....
That's the vital bit & I'm not sure it's all that obvious how to do it on some systems. If you are lucky, it's a nice big orange rocker switch, but not all systems are so convenient.

If you are not certain you have found the right switch, post back with details of your control panel or electrical system name & someone will know.

Unless you find it, the charger will be using battery power from the inverter to charge the battery - and we all know how well perpetual motion machines work! :rollingeyes:

Apologies if I'm telling you the blindingly obvious, but it's quite easy to overlook.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We are always charging stuff off the inverter on the move.
As for the fridge, we have a short lead with two plugs on it. This means it can run for a limited time without having the gas switched on.
We plug one in an inverter socket and the other in an adjacent ehu powered socket. The charger is switched off and our fridge runs for up to 12 hours off our battery bank.
Just the thing to keep the beer cool on the ferry!:)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
You have just given every 'Elth & Safety' bod a heart attack!

A very practical solution, but I hope that lead has a label attached saying 'Only for use by a responsible adult after appropriate training. Only for use in a child free environment'.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We are always charging stuff off the inverter on the move.
As for the fridge, we have a short lead with two plugs on it. This means it can run for a limited time without having the gas switched on.
We plug one in an inverter socket and the other in an adjacent ehu powered socket. The charger is switched off and our fridge runs for up to 12 hours off our battery bank.
Just the thing to keep the beer cool on the ferry!:)

Mmmmmm. Interesting. I could do that if I knew how to switch the battery charger off on the Burstner Elegance. It has an Electrobloc in one of the underfloor lockers.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
On an Electrobloc EBL 99, as far as I can see, the only option is to pull the mains connection out. This is the 'kettle' type connector found on, well, kettles, but also computers, monitors & the like, so no problem - especially as you would only be doing it when there was no power being supplied. Best to plug it back in before reconnecting the EHU to a proper supply though.

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
i run my genny for 240v while traveling as do the refridgerated lorries on the road

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we are for ever driving having left the fridge on gas never been a problem

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun