Free Member
Oct 17, 2021
Tipperary, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yellowstone
Exp
Since 1990
About a month ago I bought a year-old Hymercar Yellowstone van conversion which had so many user manuals that the folder they came in was almost a two-man lift! Despite this documentation covering most of the installed equipment, the information provided was not always accurate, applicable to my vehicle or written in a language I understood! Inevitably, some of the bits of info I needed were missing altogether and it is those deficiencies I am hoping to overcome by tapping into the knowledge and experience of fellow motorhomers in this forum.

I have three puzzles, all about switches and their function, that I would like to solve and I have attached photos of each for the sake of brevity and so as not to send the reader to sleep with boredom!

First, the "Strange Switch", found under the bench seat alongside the A/C fuse box next to the Truma boiler which looks like it must have something to do with heating water with its pipe and wave motif. Any ideas as to its function?

Second, a rocker switch under the sink which operates the water pump independently of the pressure switches on the taps. I assume this is to feed water to the external shower, but wonder if it has other uses.

Third and last, a rocker switch on the dashboard marked "NAVI" and showing a key symbol above it and a battery symbol below it. I thought this might be to allow the XZent infotainment system to draw power directly from the leisure battery, but it doesn't appear to do anything unless the vehicle's ignition switch is on. Any ideas?

I'll undoubtedly have other mysteries to try and solve which I haven't encountered yet. So, I will return!!!
Strange Switch.jpg
Pump Switch.jpg
Navi Switch.jpg

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
'Navi' usually means GPS or Sat Nav System in German. Also can mean ship in Italian!
I would guess that you are right about the external shower.
I've got a Truma, but no switch like that. Sorry.

Deleted User
The second is an ignition switch overide giving power to the radio/navigation when the engine is off - on ours anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Any chance of contacting the previous owner or even the converter? Probably the quickest way - no disrespect to all the knowledgeable folk on here but a conversion, unless it's well known, could have a number of variables.

OP
OP
G

GreyGoose74

Free Member
Oct 17, 2021
Tipperary, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yellowstone
Exp
Since 1990
To demonstrate how "switched on" we motorhomers are, it gives me pleasure to be able to report that a nice man at Hymer customer support has informed me that the strange switch with the pipe, blue square and wavy lines is to activate a heater on the waste water outlet to give it a chance of draining in sub-zero conditions. Packing as we speak and heading for the Arctic (or maybe Scotland) to test it out! Just goes to show that persistence does usually pay!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
About a month ago I bought a year-old Hymercar Yellowstone van conversion which had so many user manuals that the folder they came in was almost a two-man lift! Despite this documentation covering most of the installed equipment, the information provided was not always accurate, applicable to my vehicle or written in a language I understood! Inevitably, some of the bits of info I needed were missing altogether and it is those deficiencies I am hoping to overcome by tapping into the knowledge and experience of fellow motorhomers in this forum.

I have three puzzles, all about switches and their function, that I would like to solve and I have attached photos of each for the sake of brevity and so as not to send the reader to sleep with boredom!

First, the "Strange Switch", found under the bench seat alongside the A/C fuse box next to the Truma boiler which looks like it must have something to do with heating water with its pipe and wave motif. Any ideas as to its function?

Second, a rocker switch under the sink which operates the water pump independently of the pressure switches on the taps. I assume this is to feed water to the external shower, but wonder if it has other uses.

Third and last, a rocker switch on the dashboard marked "NAVI" and showing a key symbol above it and a battery symbol below it. I thought this might be to allow the XZent infotainment system to draw power directly from the leisure battery, but it doesn't appear to do anything unless the vehicle's ignition switch is on. Any ideas?

I'll undoubtedly have other mysteries to try and solve which I haven't encountered yet. So, I will return!!!View attachment 548817View attachment 548816View attachment 548815
I can answer two of the three, the first image is the waste tank heater, the last one Navi is for the Zenec / Multimedia system if you leave this in the on position you are using your leisure battery and if the sun isn't shining you will drain the battery right down so switch it OFF when not using it. Just a suggestion make sure you switch it ON before starting the engine as a quirk on our unit means the Navigation does not seem to kick in properly

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The manuals can only show so much and only be accurate at the date they were written. If translated into English a lot depends on how this was done - my sister speaks French and Italian as if she was a native and can "get by" in Spanish so when she was a student would translate technical manuals .... since she is hopeless at science and other practical things the English might be good but the actual information may not be so hot. These days the translations may be done using Google or similar so the English might be weird as well

Any additions to the vehicle after the manual was written (standard new or custom) obviously won't be in the book.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I watched a program once on a self build Light aircraft, the development cost of the build manuals was more than the development of the light aircraft......how mad is that, on the other hand I think in that case accurate manuals are essential

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think you now have answers to all three questions - and the second switch (water pump bypassing the microswitches) looks more like an add on to me. External Shower, dog wash, to fill a twin tub washing machine????

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I think you now have answers to all three questions -
Sorry, you're all completely wrong about the 'Strange Switch'. It's for the built-in Fusion Tokomak.

The three wavy lines obviously means three strange quarks - red, green and blue - and the zero at the top means they combine together to make a zero charge hadron. The 'pipe' symbol refers to the extra dimensions 'rolled up' within normal 4-dimensional space-time. That enables the normally power-station-sized structure to fit within the dimensions of a small heater like a Truma. They seem to have cracked the weight problem too, possibly by using some kind of gravitational repulsion device.

OP
OP
G

GreyGoose74

Free Member
Oct 17, 2021
Tipperary, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yellowstone
Exp
Since 1990
I can answer two of the three, the first image is the waste tank heater, the last one Navi is for the Zenec / Multimedia system if you leave this in the on position you are using your leisure battery and if the sun isn't shining you will drain the battery right down so switch it OFF when not using it. Just a suggestion make sure you switch it ON before starting the engine as a quirk on our unit means the Navigation does not seem to kick in properly
Hi Coolcats and thank you for taking the trouble to respond. I assumed that what you have described was the function of the switch. My problem is that I expected when it was in the "on" position, that the multimedia system would be powered on from the leisure battery, with the vehicle ignition circuit switched off. In my vehicle that isn't the case. Have I got it wrong?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
You are correct with the NAVI switch on the multimedia unit will work with the ignition switched off. I normally switch the NAVI off if not on electric hook up or standing overnight or laid up.

You can see the difference if you leave the NAVI on and everything else switch off just press the battery indicator and after an hour you will see the leisure battery start to drain.

Just to add if you do not think the NAVI button connects the multimedia unit to the leisure battery you may want to get that checked

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back