useing a "3 sim" in a phablet (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I put a payg 3 sim in my mifi dongle and tethered my samsung tab 3 to it.

I got a snotty message from 3 on my tablet telling me to put the sim back in a phone.
How they knew it was in a dongle is beyond me but they can tell.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I use the 3 sim in my Asus Phablet............. When updating my blogs I tether it to my Mac........... I have not yet received any warnings but I do limit the amount of data and time I spend on it (y)

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Ive just got of the phone to 3 customer services they told me there is no "1 month waiting" to get feel at home
I think it depends who you talk to, I was on the video link with 3 customer service yesterday and they said there was no 30 day rule for contract sims, but there was on the payg sims, I have ordered my free payg sim and will activate it well before we go to Beni in October just in case.(y)
Edit: They also said feel at home was limited 3 months in a year, so I may get another free sim as backup.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I think it depends who you talk to, I was on the video link with 3 customer service yesterday and they said there was no 30 day rule for contract sims, but there was on the payg sims,
It must do, because I was always told that it was the other way round!

I've been using the same 3 PAYG SIM for 3 or 4 years now, so it's been academic as far as I have been concerned.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Well, I don't quite know what to make of it, after going through this thread. You see I bought a 3 PAYG sim to use in my mifi after being told by a very well known retailer (no names...) that it would work.

Set it all up and activated it for the first time yesterday before I left home but when I tried to go on-line today it wouldn't and I got a message saying I couldn't use the add-ons in a mifi and to put the sim back in a phone! I don't actually have a smart phone - mine's just one of the old steam-powered variety - so I'm stuck.

I did get connected by a different method and found a way to use the sim but I'll have to visit a 3 shop to sort it out. Why couldn't this have been explained at the beginning; I was careful to check.

One not very happy bunny!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Sad to say that my experience with retail outlets for the mobile phone business, whether network specific or generic, has been universally dreadful. Poor product knowledge, poor customer relations & in one case, what I later discovered to be outright lies.

Having said that, I was chatting to an acquaintance this afternoon who was complimentary about the local branch of the Carphone Warehouse, who had sorted a problem for him. It didn't sound that brilliant a resolution to me, but he was happy, so one satisfied customer, at least.

I'll be interested to hear how the visit to the 3 shop goes.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
The following link is to a different eBay seller with much better feedback and the description provides a little more information:

Broken Link Removed

I believe some of you bought one of these phablets from this seller? So did I.

Has anyone had any problems with it? I've only had it a couple of days and have only used on WiFi so far.

First off, the cheap and nasty charger tripped our fuse and when that was sorted it didn't charge the device at all. I used my Samsung phone charger which worked perfectly.

Now getting apps from the Play store, I sometimes get message 'package file is invalid' but the app will download on 2nd or 3rd attempt.

More importantly the device is freezing and powering off when I'm doing stuff - it then immediately powers back on again without me needing to press the power button (so more of a restart). The last 2 times this happened was when I was downloading maps from CamperContact.

I know you get what you pay for, right now I'm not feeling I've got £80 worth. I don't trust it. I bought it as an alternative to taking the ipad away with us as that's more valuable and also it won't take a SIM card.

So - any problems from other users?

Karen

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have not had these problems with mine and have been using it a lot for the last couple of weeks. If I were you I would email the seller and request a replacement or refund.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I believe some of you bought one of these phablets from this seller? So did I.

Has anyone had any problems with it? I've only had it a couple of days and have only used on WiFi so far.

First off, the cheap and nasty charger tripped our fuse and when that was sorted it didn't charge the device at all. I used my Samsung phone charger which worked perfectly.

Now getting apps from the Play store, I sometimes get message 'package file is invalid' but the app will download on 2nd or 3rd attempt.

More importantly the device is freezing and powering off when I'm doing stuff - it then immediately powers back on again without me needing to press the power button (so more of a restart). The last 2 times this happened was when I was downloading maps from CamperContact.

I know you get what you pay for, right now I'm not feeling I've got £80 worth. I don't trust it. I bought it as an alternative to taking the ipad away with us as that's more valuable and also it won't take a SIM card.

So - any problems from other users?

Karen
Mine seems to be working fine, but I did chuck the charger

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I have a Samsung Galaxy Mega, 6.3" screen, called a phone when I bought it before they invented the term "phablet", with 3 sim.

I have never tethered, just open the wifi hotspot and off I go. Worked for me all over Europe.

P.S. I believe the 3 unlimited package has been downgraded to 20gb a month recently.

Hymie

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I don't know if this is helpful but last year I walked into a 3 store, bought a mifi and a PAYG sim for it and used it all round France. When I asked if I could put the sim in my phone they said you have to get the right sim for the device and they're not interchangeable. As they're free and you only pay for the top ups you might as well get two ... just saying.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
OK I'm now at the bay de Somme and confirm that every everything is working as it should, I bought the PAYG sim with the $15 25gb data and unlimited calls

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Sad to say that my experience with retail outlets for the mobile phone business, whether network specific or generic, has been universally dreadful. Poor product knowledge, poor customer relations & in one case, what I later discovered to be outright lies.

Having said that, I was chatting to an acquaintance this afternoon who was complimentary about the local branch of the Carphone Warehouse, who had sorted a problem for him. It didn't sound that brilliant a resolution to me, but he was happy, so one satisfied customer, at least.

I'll be interested to hear how the visit to the 3 shop goes.

Update - went to the Three shop and a very helpful guy (turned out to be the manager) explained that I had got a phone-only sim card and could not use it, or the very favourable unlimited data facility, in the mifi. After a detailed discussion on what I actually needed I bought the correct sim and the mifi is now working a treat - although I won't be able to check overseas use now until the New Year.

And the old sim? Mrs L bought me a Smartphone so I've finally caught up with the 21st century!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Pleased to hear that. As someone else said - it seems to be pot luck. If you get the right person, you get good service, but the standard is very inconsistent.

Anyone would think we were discussing campsite wardens. :whistle: I've been lucky with them, but clearly less so with phone shops!

Reactions: DBK
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
OK I'm now at the bay de Somme and confirm that every everything is working as it should, I bought the PAYG sim with the $15 25gb data and unlimited calls

Is this a 3 sim? We didn't see any deal as good as that. Does it have an expiry date?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back