Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
Not long ago we had a look around a couple of MH dealers just for a nosey, to get ideas for ours (mods etc), and to see what we couldnt afford.:cry: One prestigious dealer in particular, surprised us. On looking around some of the vans, even though they appeared 'clean' at first glance, two of them stunk of urine the minute the loo door was opened, while another knocked you off your feet with either stale sweat, wet dog, or both.
Surely the dealer was aware of these things, so why on earth offer these vehicles for sale without sorting the 'odours' first? And im not talking about ageing 'campers' here, these were only around 5 years old, with not much change out of £30k apiece.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
If thats how they present thier Motorhomes for sale I for one would give them a wide birth as they can not have any pride in what they are doing better find a dealer who cares about their products.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Not defending any one or saying we are perfect but when you have 30 -50 vans on a forcecourt it is difficult keeping everyone of them 100% perfect and immaculate in every way.

People tramp in and out of them, we have had people using the toilets in them, pinching knobs and even the tops of the gas burners.

Plus of course there is the odd occasion when to get a customer out of trouble and back on the road, the workshop will 'borrow' something of a stock van.

I moaned the other day about cobwebs on the outside of a van between the mirror and door, was promptly told it has been washed the previous day and spiders spin webs overnight, had to shut up!

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not defending any one or saying we are perfect but when you have 30 -50 vans on a forcecourt it is difficult keeping everyone of them 100% perfect and immaculate in every way.

People tramp in and out of them, we have had people using the toilets in them, pinching knobs and even the tops of the gas burners.

Peter

It's a lose lose situation Peter, you lock em up and people moan they can't view without a sales person .

After retiring my dad worked in a caravan dealership.. the stories he told about what customers did was disgraceful.. so I am not surprised by the OPs comments.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
We were discussing the pros and cons of "Open Door "policy with a salesman at a dealership in Huddersfield and he said he actually stopped a guy from trying to steal the gas oven out of a van!!

By the way these "Smelly vans" where was the dealers situated at then we can give it a swerve!!!

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
OMG that is awful ... are folk really that bad when viewing m/h I know a friend had a courtesy car while theirs was being repaired ..the way they abused it and finally when questioned about it they said ...so what... its not our car.. ????? These were folk that should have known better too :Eeek::Eeek:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I think people should be made to deal with the general public they would then realise what they are like. Not all I hasten to add but enough to make you realise that the horror stories you hear about are probably true.

From what I have seen it is not the people you expect that are the worst but often the people you would think would know better.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
M

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
I think people should be made to deal with the general public they would then realise what they are like. Not all I hasten to add but enough to make you realise that the horror stories you hear about are probably true.

From what I have seen it is not the people you expect that are the worst but often the people you would think would know better.

Dave :thumb::thumb:
Some interesting and surprising comments. Firstly, ill just say ive 'dealt' with the public for over 30 years now - so nowt surprises me! I have to conceed though, i was surprised to learn folk will 'use the loos' in these vans - though on reflection, maybe i shouldnt be. I will also conceed, there was an odd knob etc. missing from some vans - which is despicable.
Though, id still maintain the vans i had misgivings about, were simply 'dirty' from the off.

Edit. It wouldnt be fair to 'name the dealer', as a) you just never know for sure how these vans were first presented, and b) if you couldnt 'smell' a problem for yourself - then there couldnt be one!

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: I remember fitting a bathroom suite in a showroom and moving into the next setting only to find a little girl doing a dump in the loo about 2 mins after I fitted it :ROFLMAO:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back