Used van suitable for winter continental use? (1 Viewer)

Marmottefarcie

Free Member
Dec 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I am researching our first motorhome purchase and could benefit from the collective wisdom of the forum.
I am looking for a used motorhome that would be suitable for use in the Alps in the winter.
From what I can gather, some of the continental vans are designed with this type of use in mind (double floors, insulation etc).
Can I assume that an 18-20 year old Rimor SuperBrig or a similar aged Chausson would be ready for this type of use or do I have to look for models that have been winterised specifically?
Thanks for your help & advice

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi and welcome to mhf
There are quite a lot of vans made to be used in colder weather , we will start the list with nieshmann+bischof ------ ours is a flair
You will find subscription to the forum will be an incredible investment!!!!!!
Nigel & Pamala

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

See my post below.

The First two motorhomes were double floor.
The La Strada, not so.
The Hymer, no double floor but the Fresh water is inside. The external Waste did not freeze even at -17c

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...to-survive-winter-with-no-burst-pipes.156170/

Look down for my post, It quotes -7 on the Hymer. But since been down to -17c

Good luck!

Surely Trev the external Hymer waste tank has a pipe running to it straight from the Truma, our 2 older Hymers did.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I am researching our first motorhome purchase and could benefit from the collective wisdom of the forum.
I am looking for a used motorhome that would be suitable for use in the Alps in the winter.
From what I can gather, some of the continental vans are designed with this type of use in mind (double floors, insulation etc).
Can I assume that an 18-20 year old Rimor SuperBrig or a similar aged Chausson would be ready for this type of use or do I have to look for models that have been winterised specifically?
Thanks for your help & advice

Welcome to FUN and congratulations for deciding to go the used route at least for your first purchase, most people you talk to have been through at least 2 or 3 mhs before they found one that suited them.

However at the risk of wrath from owners Rymor and Chausson are OK but neither of them are any where near the top in the quality stakes and I'm pretty sure there are better choices you could make for your intended use. At this sort of price level you could pick up an Old N&B/ Hymer/Eura/RMB/Rapido etc etc ( note the MB bases ones tended to be single floor). There are different levels of 'winterisation' but its pretty easy to check if they are double floor - if you can see the waste tanks underneath then they re not.

hth
Jon

Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Welcome to FUN and congratulations for deciding to go the used route at least for your first purchase, most people you talk to have been through at least 2 or 3 mhs before they found one that suited them.

However at the risk of wrath from owners Rymor and Chausson are OK but neither of them are any where near the top in the quality stakes and I'm pretty sure there are better choices you could make for your intended use. At this sort of price level you could pick up an Old N&B/ Hymer/Eura/RMB/Rapido etc etc ( note the MB bases ones tended to be single floor). There are different levels of 'winterisation' but its pretty easy to check if they are double floor - if you can see the waste tanks underneath then they re not.

hth
Jon
My van you can see waste tank but it is double floor in as much as 50mm of insulation sandwiched between the ply on the bottom/underside and interior van floor

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Laika .. We have central heating round the water tank and plenty of insulation elsewhere including the floor.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
My van you can see waste tank but it is double floor in as much as 50mm of insulation sandwiched between the ply on the bottom/underside and interior van floor

IMHO that isnt a double floor because there is no space in between, But lots of variations, you pays yer money.......

Upvote 0

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Hi marmot
Welcome to the forum
loads of helpful advice from people here.
We have been going to the alps for winter for the last 8 years
First thing
Double floors are great
However they still have frost pockets within them
Once you decide on a van to suit you
Ensure that the heating system blows some heat onto the water pump area.

Also best to let your grey waste run out into a bucket
depending on the van the drain taps can freeze solid
so you can't turn the tap to let the water out when its full.
The alps are great. But a cold snap of -15 degrees at
night can turn into a cold period where the temp drops to -25 at night and never rises above -15 during the day
Any van can struggle so be prepared to with some tools and spare bits.

and lots of propane gasit's great fun and other motor homers are often around to help

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Winter proofing isn't just about a double floor, it needs more design than that. Both my European mohos (Adria then Hymer) made sure that the heating pipes (or ducts on the Adra) ran next to the water pipes and toilet as well as around the water and waste tanks.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Our Carthago has a double floor with all services between the floors being well protected and kept nice and warm by the Alde system. It copes very well in cold weather.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Some Chaussons are "winterised" some are not. The Welcome spec is better than the Flash. I don't know if the new Titanium spec is better than both or not.

Our Adria has heating pipes round the waste tank and in the cassette locker. It was very toasty when we were away in it last weekend :)

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we had a Eura mobil good quality German motorhome everything inside the double floor, more than capable for winter use, we were down to minus 20 no problem, but we are warmer climate people so never made a habit of it. :xdoh: :xrofl: Bob.

Upvote 0
May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I guess the budget is limited as you are talking 18 - 20 years old.

My van is 18 years old and survived in Switzerland this year, I did spend most of the time wondering how much anti freeze was in the engine!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back