Used books, are they a health hazard? (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
SWMBO recently drew my attention to an article about how often one should change clothes, bed linen, and generally keep clean and healthy.

Last night whilst reading in bed I realized that my nose was only about six inches (15cm) from a paper back that had probably been through many hands. Should we ban the reuse of books for health reasons? If so should we also close all libraries?

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
I used to save up various mags and take them across to the men's surgical ward at the local hospital. The nurses were always happy to receive them until one day I took a batch across and the nurse in charge said that they were not acceptable as they were a health hazard. They go in the recycling now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
We've been reading used books for years and never had a problem AFAIK. Would be a great shame to lose our libraries and unfortunately Councils have closed many including the mobile ones. It does seem very sad that many things originally decreed as tax free necessities are now taxed with VAT.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Will they cause disease, probably not , will they harm you? probably not, do they worry you? if so do not use them.
Mankind got here, even though there were lots of things to harm them on the way. This is the new SNOWFLAKE society we have now, all worried about the irrelevant and the real problems are quietly hidden out of sight.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We stock up on second hand books during the winter. Usually bought from a local charity shop or our local library sale of ex stock.

We take them on our trips and exchange them with other travellers we meet. God alone knows how many hands they have been through.

If you are worried about books what about hand rails and door handles? Use a public/shop toilet and wash your hands afterwards. On the way out open the door using the handle that has also been used by those who didn’t wash their hands.

Life is too short to obsess. Do what you can and enjoy what’s left.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
If you are worried about books what about hand rails and door handles? Use a public/shop toilet and wash your hands afterwards. On the way out open the door using the handle that has also been used by those who didn’t wash their hands.

Life is too short to obsess. Do what you can and enjoy what’s left.

Supermarket trolley handles are the worst, apparently!

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I gave up buying pre used books and magazines, all the ones that attracted my attention seemed to have the pages stuck together:whistle:

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Supermarket trolley handles are the worst, apparently!
Yes, I think the problem comes from the frequency with which they are used
Most germs (bacteria) have a limited life span measured in minutes or hours so the majority of surfaces we touch are relatively safe

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I gave up buying pre used books and magazines, all the ones that attracted my attention seemed to have the pages stuck together:whistle:
images (2)_2.jpg

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Just about everything we touch has been touched / used/ handled by someone before us. Door handles, chairs, tables, shopping trolleys, items on supermarket shelves, even the cutlery and glasses in a cafe/ restaurant have been handled after being washed. Start to worry about it and we'd never leave our houses.
Have to say I've been in some really grubby places in my life. Used to clean kennels and cattery as a teenager, mucked out stables and piggeries, worked in an Eastern European "orphanage " ( changing kids who'd been left 24 hours in the same nappy) and there's nothing soap and water or a good dollop of anti bac gel doesn't kill off. Clean your hands and you'll rarely get sick. Im sure no one's died of a second hand book.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I love old books and like to think of the many people who have read them before me . I am worried that the younger generation don’t want books so read on tablets . Books will eventually go but hopefully long after me!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Used to get all my books from charity shops but don't think I've touched a book for 2 or 3 years always use a Kindle now.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Used to get all my books from charity shops but don't think I've touched a book for 2 or 3 years always use a Kindle now.
Yes, have a Kindle which I use when space is at a premium such as “fly away” holidays.

However I still prefer the feel of a “real” book so read them at home and in the m/h.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I buy my books second-hand from charity shops but always give them the 'sniff test'. If I wouldn't want them in bed with me, I don't buy them.
I buy magazines from second hand shops....but I always check for stuck together pages.first. ;):D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes, have a Kindle which I use when space is at a premium such as “fly away” holidays.

However I still prefer the feel of a “real” book so read them at home and in the m/h.
Books got akward when I had Dyputrons on my right hand but since having the op on my hand last year not gone back to them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back