USB problem, W10 (1 Viewer)

Jul 30, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
6 years
After years of windows XP, 6 months ago had to buy a new computer, HP Pavilion loaded with W10. Recently I tried to read a data chip using a USB port. The Laptop beeped showing it sensed the port was in use but did not show any files. Same with plugging in mobile. How do I access the files?

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Is there anything on the usb stick.......? Have you accessed the files on it before? What sort of files are they?

OP
OP
J
Jul 30, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
6 years
Yes there are files on the memory stick, mostly xcel, word, jpegs and pdf. The mobile has mainly Android pictures.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Do you mean it didn't automatically display files?
Maybe need to access the chip/card/stick as a portable drive from 'my computer'
Maybe drive E or F

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
As pappajohn says, does clicking on the usb drive/stick in ‘my computer’ show no files, or unable to read, or whatever......?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
go into device manager and ensure that it does not have any conflicts or driver issues

just type device manager into the box beside the start button

OP
OP
J
Jul 30, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
6 years
Usb drive not listed in My Computer, no drive above c:. Also no problems shown in Device Manager. DM shows 6 usbs but only 4 sockets on case.

OP
OP
J
Jul 30, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
6 years
At last I have sorted out my USB problem. The laptop is a HP Pavilion and comes as standard with HP Support. I had not used the USBs until a few months ago. Inserting a memory card etc caused the laptop to beep but no files were shown in My Computer or Device Manager. HP Assistant showed 3 upgrades, one called Genersys Card Reader. Although there is no card reader in the laptop I was suspicious! This failed to execute after downloading. I had to leave it there for a while. After posting on MHF I contacted HP Support. I mentioned Genersys update failure to their expert and she tried again. It failed. After many attempts she changed the BIOS to previous version and tried the update again. Success! This took around 90 mins but she was determined to get it working. Her supervisor called recently to check all was OK!

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Maybe not related to your HP laptop but lots of their models have a built in SD Reader.
‘Hidden’ on the lower bevel edge.
I’d had an HP for weeks before I knew to look for one & then it wasn’t that obvious to find. There’ll be a blanking slot over the SD hole.

OP
OP
J
Jul 30, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
6 years
Yes, the Pavilion has one, not easy to see, but is one of the 6 USB ports listed by Device Manager, It did not work before but does now.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Yes, the Pavilion has one, not easy to see, but is one of the 6 USB ports listed by Device Manager, It did not work before but does now.
Aaah! Understood. That’s likely to be the main part of the Genersys Card Reader bit but you’ll now know more your Pavilion than I do.

Thanks for updating the post with details about what the resolution was.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back